Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disabled Group?

ANSWERED
I'm new to fitbit and disabled. I'm trying to do the best I can to be alittle healthier, but I feel rather left out as I cant seem to find any communities that fit my goals/needs. Is there anyway a new community can be started or any recommendation of where I might be able to find some understanding friends? Thanks.
Best Answer
33 REPLIES 33

Yes I did, I sent you a friend request after that I can invite you to the group. 

Best Answer
I didn’t set one up but there is one called Limited Mobility. Not much activity though but maybe it will grow. Let me know if you can’t find it. I’m still trying to figure out the groups and everything and not sure if I can add you or invite you to the group or not.
Best Answer

I am interested too, but I have no idea how it all works 😕

Best Answer

I send you a friend request or you send me one, then you can be invited into the group. 

Best Answer

I'd like to be included in a limited Mobility group if ones happening... I'm reasonably active giving my disability, but always looking to share encouragement and ideas on how to go further
Peace ✌️ 

Best Answer
I am a member of a small group of disabled individuals in a group called Limited Mobility. Contact Solus-Umbra for more information.

Sent by Barb McC
Best Answer

I also sent you a friend request for an invite to your group. I am also disabled and trying my hardest to get some activity going.

Best Answer

Could someone send me a friend request then add me to the disabled group pretty please?  I've got huge mobility problems so getting over 25k steps a day is usually a struggle, but I managed 30k steps on Monday and was almost in tears of relief and pride.  I achieved all those steps by literally just doing laps of our house and backyard as well as taking our senior puppy on her two walks... seeing people regularly get over 50k as standard is disheartening, so being in a group with others who struggle with mobility too would be amazing!

Thank you!

Amanda - a Fitbit Inspire user since 29th September 2019
Best Answer

I have discovered the same issues with Fitbit as all of the other DISABLED persons looking for a place to fit into Fitbit and use Fitbit as a tool to help me become healthier. I have Limited mobility as do many other people. I have been disabled by Ideopathic Small Fiber Neuropathy for 10 years. Prior to the last year, I managed to run 7.5 to 10 miles in the deep end of a swimming pool, while doing intense aquatic calesthentics for 60 to 90 minutes 4 days a week. I measured my distance by counting my steps while in the pool and knowing my stride length on land vs time. I did this for 5 years until I had 5 severe falls in a row and had to stop so I could heal. I have a new Fitbit Charge 4 (upgraded from Charge 3), and I joined Premium. I was excited about cranking up my running again and COVID-19 hit. It ruined my restart. I have been looking for some exercises through Fitbit I can do at home, on land, with my limited ability to use my feet. It is almost mission impossible. I think Fitbit needs to make a Section of diet, exercise, mind set for the disabled or limited. This group only becomes bigger as everyone ages and limitations appear.

I think that Fitbit is missing a market opportunity by not promoting a part of their devices and programs for the disabled. In closing, there are multiple types of disability and even if Fitbit only focused on "mobility disability" that would be a tremendous start and help for those of us who are looking and trying. If disability was a heading in our device SETUP, we would be identified early on through 'startup', with the appropriate exercises and encouragements we need. Are we not users, too? Fitbit needs to 'come out of the closet' and support disabled or limited people become fit or fitter using Fitbit.

A 'market online survey about interest in buying a product which also supports disabled or limited individuals' might support the theory I suggest here about another market ready for Fitbit and Premium.

Thank you in advance for this space to air my views and questions. FYI, I am a long distant sprinter in the deep end of a swimming pool. My name is Conrad Banks Jr at rad2b1@gmail.com. 

Best Answer

Please send me an invite to join the Limited Mobility or Disable Individuals GROUP or compatible group of members whoare sare challenged by the normal exercise processes.

Why is finding or joining this Disabled or Limited Mobility group so hard? It is a hidden group. With the number of members on Fitbit why isit so hhard to find? Why isn'**ahem**  listed on the group listing under Discover Groups in Fitbit? Is it listed any where?

I am a disabled Long Distance Sprinter in the "deep end of a swimming pool" because physical contact with the ground, elliptical or other hard surface device causes me so much pain, I become immobilized. My feet are numb and I have no balance, and I discovered my legs again in a pool. I am guaranteed not to fall, stumble or hurt myself in the deep end of a swimming pool. Lol. Thank you for your time and opportunity to join. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Please send me an invite

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SolusUmbra  Me too. I have Spastic Quadriplegia Cerebral Palsy and use a power wheelchair. I recently got the Fitbit Versa 4 and use it mainly to log food, calories biking & swimming. However, because my movements aren't typical during these activities, I am not sure how accurate the exercise apps are. Is it best to log activities manually?

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have severe Small Fiber Neuropathy.  I cannot run on land, treadmill, or elliptical.  All these things cause me pain, plus, I do not have any balance.  So I am not comfortable in the weight room for fear I will drop something and hurt someone.  I do all my exercises in the deep end of the city swimming pool.  
Based on what I understand, and I may be incorrect.  Please remember that much of the exercise data is triggered by the wrist where the watch is attached.  It uses that arm as a pendulum to measure or calculate steps, strokes, distance, etc.  I run in the deep end of a swimming pool and exercise while running using water weights to do weight lifting exercises.  My stride in the water is similar to that on land. The Biometrics come from the laser in back of the watch to measure body function, HR, etc.  Much of the data I change is based on a guestimate of what I am doing and recalculating.
I usually check my activity data, and then, enter or modify any activity that does not appear to be correct.  It's my data.  I can do what I want with it.  It is only meaningful to me.  It is meaningful when I am comfortable with its accuracy and the outcome on my body, offset by the time and energy I expend to achieve my exercise goals.
Example.  I count the number of leg strokes I made while running in the pool over a limited time period.  Then, I did the math using an extrapolation of time, number of leg strokes, stride length if on land, number of feet in a mile to calculate distance I run.  I calculated that I was running between 7.5 and 11 miles daily depending on my time in the water, four days a week.
Hope this helps. Good luck.  
SincerelyConrad
Best Answer
0 Votes
The best

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes