Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Gym Enthusiast

Hello all!

I’m here to try and grow my group. 😁 There are currently 17 members but only 2 are actively participating! 🙁

My story: I belonged to a gym for almost 20 years but had to drop my membership at the end of February. Since my husband and I had acquired several pieces of fitness equipment and a few DVDs, I decided to turn part our basement into a home gym.

But I realized the thing I would miss is the accountability, sense of community and the drive to push just a little more when I want to quit.

So, I started a group in the Fitbit app to try and create a virtual gym community of people who, like me, are trying to maintain a fitness routine outside of a gym facility. Unfortunately, it seems groups created by the individual are not open. Every member has be a friend then I can send an invitation.:incoming_envelope:

Let me know if you’d like to share accountability, inspiration, motivation.

Thank you

LisaDIN
💪🏻🚵🏻‍:male_sign:🧘🏻‍:female_sign:🏋🏻🚴🏻‍:female_sign:🏃🏼‍:female_sign:

Best Answer
36 REPLIES 36

I sent a friend request. I would love to join. I work out at home daily

Whats the name of the group so I know

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

YAY🥳 Welcome to the gym!! Hope to see you around!!

Best Answer

Hi - I joined the group last night. I am having trouble (and it might be user error!) getting my tracker to recognize my stationary bike or anything I am doing in the pool.  It recognizes steps only.  Any suggestions from you guys?  I saw the suggestion to wear the tracker on my ankle when I bike, but then it won't track my heart rate.  

Best Answer

@julesgwill 

Hi! I'm glad you joined the group!! I'm not that great with everything fitbit has to offer but here's a suggestion you could try for swimming and biking. If you click on your exercise log, there's a little gear thing in the upper right corner (settings). Click on this. In mine, at least, a list of "auto recognized exercises" shows up. Included in my list is outdoor bike and swimming. Click on the arrow to the right of the one you want you should see options for "auto-recognize" (click it). Then "longer than" - click on this and select how long you want to be doing the exercise before it notices "Hey! She's doing this thing! I better start counting!" I haven't used this feature so I can't say how good it is. Give it a try and let me know. 😊

Best Answer
Thanks Lisa,

These were all set already. 😒
Best Answer

Ok. Sorry it didn’t work. 🙁 I wonder if there’s something in your preferences... 🤔 Maybe I’ll take a look around the app... Meanwhile, if there’s anyone else reading this post who has the answer, feel free to offer your insights!

Best Answer

I have tried all of this. I was really hoping this device was more intuitive!  I can log in exercise without it!  Guess it still is good to monitor HR and sleep though.  As long as I am tracking, that is the main goal, right?  Thanks for your concern though! I appreciate it!

Best Answer

So- How's everybody feeling this week?  We finally have a nice sunny day here in KY-so I am looking forward to a water workout in the pool after work!!  I am trying to get on my stationary bike on rainy days, but after this winter, I am a bit bored with that!  I think I will try working out to music instead of "Morning Joe"!  Ha!

Best Answer

Feeling pretty good! I just posted in the group that I finally made my Thursday workout! First time since .... 🤔 .... since I started my home gym?! (At least 2 months?)

Glad you’re getting good weather for swimming! 😁 Its always best to mix things up! Two reasons everyone talks about.... 1) a person tends to get bored and end up quitting; 2) the body gets bored and ends up quitting! 😂 (if your body gets used to the same things, it stops being as efficient at losing weight)

Best Answer

Hi, I'd love to join your group. However, my "gym" includes youtube fitness videos. I also am new to using fitbit on a computer, because I usually use an ipad. But if you could send me an invite, I'll gladly join. 🙂

Best Answer

Good morning @SunsetRunner ! I just sent you a friend request. Once you accept, I can send an invite to join the gym. 😀 The type of workout you choose isn't as important as the fact that you are doing something to remain/become active and maintain/improve over all health. 😁 I have a few DVDs that I have used and will incorporate again once I have a TV for projecting them. I was using a laptop but it would be so much easier to follow with a TV! 😂 In the meantime, I'm creating/polishing some programs of my own as well as using an elliptical. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's a great idea @LisaDIN! A good example of what this Fitbit Community is all about. 

It definitely has its perks to be able to workout at home, and many people are surprised with how little equipment you actually need to get started. Some people even mange to do it with no equipment at all! 

Motivation is very important and it's definitely something that a Fitbit group can help with 😁

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer

For everyone thinking about joining this group, I highly recommend it. We may only have a few active members (as of now), but we can easily grow that number. I almost feel more accountability with a smaller group of people as opposed to the 2-Million+ people on Strength Training. Both are good for Accountability, but in different ways.

This group is fire

-ItsLPM (Liam M)

Best Answer

@julesgwillStationary bike and swimming are not step based. Your tracker will not automatically pick them up.

Stationary bike I manually log what ever my bike tells me.

I'm not a swimmer so I really cant help there

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Hi

How do I join?  A xx

Best Answer
0 Votes

This sounds like a good idea.  I’d like to join @LisaDIN.  I miss going to the gym, but have rediscovered my weights at home over the past several months.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

@afk2533 I just sent you a friend request. Once accepted, I can send you an invite.

Best Answer

@Baltoscott I just sent you a friend request. Once accepted, I can send you an invite.

Best Answer

I might have hit the wrong button there, but friend request sent back to you @LisaDIN 

Best Answer
0 Votes