Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mindfulness logged as Exercise

ANSWERED
  • After logging a meditation session using the new Mindfulness feature, it logged not only in my goal for number of days I wanted to practice mindfulness per week, but also counted as one of my days in the Exercise feature. I think physical exercise should be tracked separately from mental, or at least an option to decide if you want Mindfulness to count as Exercise.
Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

I fully agree. Looked at a two minute meditation session this morning and then saw that it was added to my exercise goal. Completely ridiculous, particularly when having these goals is a stimulant for getting up and moving! Meditation is important, but it is not exercise.... Please ask Fitbit to separate the two. 

Best Answer

I contacted customer support via chat today about this. I had deleted the mindfulness from my exercise log and so they initially said that it wasn't showing up under my exercise log. They also said it was not showing up under "deleted" exercise either. So they asked me to log another mindfulness session and send a screenshot. I did this to prove it to them. They then said to let them check it on their end. After a short wait, they quickly responded that this is intentional and ended the chat before I could respond. Here's the chat log:

John W:Thanks for the summary. I'm reviewing your issue now and will be right back.
John W:I'm glad to assist you with your mindfulness log.
Me:I guess I don't need help fixing my log. I think this is a bug in the software app and it should be changed by fitbit.
John W:Upon checking our system, I see that you do not have a Fitbit Sense on your account.
Me:I don't even know what that is.
John W:Please note that the mindfulness logging is only available for Sense devices.
John W:In your situation, you have a Charge 3 which you does not have the mindfulness feature.
Me:It is not a feature of the device. It is a feature of the mobile app.
John W:Allow me a minute or two to check this on my end.
John W:Can you provide the date when did you log this?
Me:this morning.
Me:It showed up in both my mindfulness log and in my exercise log.
Me:I deleted it from my exercise log. But I don't want to have to do that every time I log a mindfulness activity.
John W:Thank you for that.
John W:Allow to check this on my end.
Me:sure
John W:Thanks!
Me:I did post this in the Community Forums, but I don't know if Fitbit monitors those for issues or not.
John W:Regards with that, your report in our community is being observed before someone answer it.
John W:Upon checking our system, I see that there's no deleted exercise on my end.
John W:Can you confirm if you are looking at mindfulness tile on your Fitbit app.
Me:I can log another session of mindfulness right now and see if it shows up again under both mindfulness and exercise tiles.
John W:Sure thing.
John W:Kindly provide a screenshot as well.
John W:I will be sending a file transfer when you got a screenshot.
Me:Sure
John W:Thanks!
John W:Let me know how it goes.
Me:ok, i have screenshots of both the mindfulness log and of the exercise log
Me:on my phone
Me:I can move them to my laptop to send them through this chat if there is a way
John W:I'll initiate a file transfer so you can attach it in this conversation.
Me:ok
John W:By the way, I'd like to share with you that Sense device user automatically see Mindfulness tile.
John W:And other Fitbit devices user/customers can add mindfullness tile from discover tile.
John W:*Discover tab* sorry for that.
Me:Mine just showed up yesterday on its own.
Your file has been successfully uploaded to the agent.
John W:Let me check this one.
Me:That is the screenshot of the exercise log.
Me:I can also send the one of the mindfulness log that shows that it shows up there too.
John W:Allow me to check this on my end.
Me:If you want the other screenshot, I'll need another file transfer thingy.
Me:Also, let me know if it is OK for me to remove that new mindfulness session from my log or if you want to look at it in my account first.
John W:Please do not remove the meditating as it is expected behavior as you are meditating on getting your mindfulness data.
John W:Meditating is considered as activity that is why it is being recorded as exercise or activity in the app.
John W:By the way, after our chat you will receive a brief survey. Any feedback you'd like to provide would be most appreciated, and will help us improve our support processes.
John W:For more information, I recommend you to refer to https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/2077
John W:If you'd like to save our chat transcript you can click "Save chat" button in your chat window.
John W:Is there anything else I can assist you with, at the moment?

After getting cut off, I contacted chat again and amazingly ended up with the same support agent...unless they're all named "John W"... He's that:

John W:Thanks for the summary. I'm reviewing your issue now and will be right back.
Me:I just talked to you I think.
Me:I am contacting again because the chat ended before I could respond.
Me:I don't understand your last statement. Were you indicating that the mindfulness is supposed to be recorded as exercise and that fitbit is not going to fix this?
John W:I'm glad to assist you with your inquiry regarding the mindfulness activity.
John W:Please note that the meditating is not an exercise but it is considered as an activity that is why it is being recorded to your exercise tile which does not affect any of your exercise's data.
Me:But it does affect my exercise data.
Me:It counts as me having exercised today.
Me:I have a goal to exercise 5 days a week. I logged the mindfulness activity and it now counts that as a day with exercise.
John W:Regards with that, I'd like to share with you that the mindfulness works that way.
John W:If you'd like to suggest that feature I recommend you to suggest it to community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Requests/idb-p/features
John W:Please take a moment to visit and give us your suggestion.
Me:You mean the intend for it to count as exercise?
Me:What do you mean when you say "I'd like to share with you that the mindfulness works that way"?
John W:Please note that it is meant to be logged as an activity.
John W:It is meant to logged as an activity once you have logged a mindfulness data.
Me:I should only be logged as an activity under mindfulness. Not under both mindfulness AND exercise.
Me:*It* should
John W:I understand where you are coming from, Jacob.
John W:Please note that the mindfulness tile is used to view the stress score.
John W:And it is being logged to your exercise tile because the mindfulness is considered as an activity.
Me:OK. So if I want this changed, you're saying I need to go to that feature request site to suggest that?
John W:Yes, your request might be selected.
John W:By the way, after our chat you will receive a brief survey. Any feedback you'd like to provide would be most appreciated, and will help us improve our support processes.
Me:OK
John W:I apologize for the confusion, Jacob.
John W:If you'd like to save our chat transcript you can click "Save chat" button in your chat window.
John W:Is there anything else I can assist you with, at the moment?
Me:no, thanks

I do NOT want it counting towards my weekly exercise goal. But it seems that fitbit's stance is that the exercise log needs to log every "activity" and mindfulness is an "activity". I will go to the feature request site and request this change. But I have little faith that they will correct this and so as far as I'm concerned, this Mindfulness feature is junk and not worth the pain to have to go in and remove it from my Exercise ("activity") log every time I use it. I will just continue to use the Insight Timer app to track my meditation. It currently has way more free sessions anyways.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Here is a link to the request I submitted if anyone wants to upvote it: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Don-t-log-Mindfulness-as-an-Activity-under-the-E...

Best Answer

Obviously we're the testers for new features and functions. 

I would guess that eventually the developers will fix this bug as the meditation session was added to the newly created meditation panel, but likely looped in the added function to the exercise panel. 

In the mean time, take a deep breath and go to the exercise panel and delete the meditation session. 

Configure both panals high on the main view makes it easy to see. 

When I forget, it's a clue that I'm not present in the moment.

😊👃😎

Best Answer

Yes! It happens to me too: 2 minutes meditation, and there it goes, doubling as my exercise goal for the day. Wonderful!

As you can figure I don't trust that and still go and do my exercise, or else my guess is I would gain a few non - muscle kilos and kiss goodbye my definition.

But I think @Fitbit should really fix that bug.

Cheers, 

Fmart1

Best Answer