Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motivation: What Motivates You?

Motivation is so important in any aspect of life. What motivated you to start your weight loss journey?  I have a few things:

1.) I have a 9 year old niece and a 5 year old nephew.  I want to see them grow up, go to their graduations, be there for their weddings, and hopefully see the day when I become a great-aunt.  How can I do that if I don't adopt healthy habits now?

2.) I'm a frontline worker in a nursing home, I am sick and tired of the stress brought on by COVID.  More specifically, I am sick and tired of the COVID related weight gain.  This summer, I took a big step in helping to combat that by rejoining Weight Watchers and have since lost about 10 pounds.

3.) My residents: when I wonder why I'm having to mask up or why I can't do certain things in regards to COVID, I think of their sweet faces and how heartbroken I would be if I passed COVID on to them.

However, the one person holding me accountable through my weight loss journey is my mom.  She also is a frontline worker in healthcare, and we decided to take back control of our lives.  We decided we were sick of our COVID weight and rejoined Weight Watchers together this summer!  We even use our Fitbits to hold us accountable: at the end of the day, we always share who has the most steps!  

Moderator edit: format. 

Kristen | USA Cruising through the Lifestyle Forums

one cruise ship at a time!
Best Answer
25 REPLIES 25

My family motivates me. I can always depend on my family for words of encouragement and somehow they always sense when I’m not myself. They remind me that I am a first in my world so I can give to others more. My baby boy and my husband, thinking about them and what else I can achieve to be a better person, a better version of me. 

@DramaQueenDiva Loved your thoughts! So inspirational. 🤗

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

Great topic, @DramaQueenDiva

I'd say my motivation is my family as well, we're like a small support group 😅. We're constantly helping and checking on each other to make sure everyone is ok. I have a nephew too and he has always motivated me to be better, I want to see him grow up and I know I need to stay as healthy as possible. 

Another thing that motivates me is learning, I love learning new skills, new languages, get to know other cultures and experience life to the maximum. 😁

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer
0 Votes

I really like your thoughts @DramaQueenDiva. My parents have always motivated me, they help to me grow mentally and professionally, and they are always there, when I feel like I can't take it anymore or I have a very big challenge to face, they have the encouragement words that help me to feel confident again. 

Cindy|Community Moderator| Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution!
Best Answer

Hi @DramaQueenDiva! I also have a nephew that I adore and want to see him grow up and be a good man here. 

My family also motivates me. We're like a support group and are always to take care of each other. Since my father passed, we're closer. 

I really admire what you're doing right now and hope you reach you weight goal soon. 

Best Answer

This may sound silly but my motivation is a pair of jeans. I used to have them in sizes ranging from 14 to 20 and would wear whatever fit on a given day. I lost 30+ pounds during the pandemic and bravely threw out everything bigger than the 14s that fit. With the pandemic, there was little chance of going out to buy bigger sizes. Now I’m on on another weight loss journey, working my way down to the size 12s. The 14s got tight a couple times but that was enough to push me back to healthy eating. 

I tried using all those excellent, altruistic ideas for motivation. But they did not work as well as pulling those jeans on! 

Best Answer

Hey @SunsetRunner! It is not silly... I have that pair of jeans too. 😅

When I notice that I have gained weight I try them on and they are the motivation to get that size again...

Have a great weekend!

Best Answer

Good book or movie, my family and friends, my hobbies

Best Answer

@gomeshelen, You're right, movies motivate me too, I'm a little sentimental. 😅

Cindy|Community Moderator| Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution!
Best Answer

Yes, I do! @AndreaFitbit  At least I'm not the only one that cries with this kind of things.  😅

Have a nice day too! 

Best Answer

Hi, Carol, not silly at all! In my case the final straw is a certain dark green velvet skirt I plan to wear on a special occassion on November 11th. I can currently just barely button it up but am far from comfortable.

However, I felt it coming for a while, since my husband successfully lost 10 kg with some effort over the lockdown (no fitbit here, but I suspect that decreased consumption of beer due to closed pubs did contribute) ... while I gained those 5 kg I now trying to get rid of.

Gryllotalpa (Prague, CZ)

Best Answer

I am motivated by a good job that I want to get. Appearance and intelligence are very important here. The job I want is very challenging, and the interview has several stages. One of them is an IQ test like https://iq-global-test.com/ and a personal interview with the founder.

Best Answer

@Gryllotalpa - dare I ask? November 11th has passed. Was that lovely skirt more comfortable?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @FoxMan32 - that sounds like good motivation but I’m glad you recognize that appearance is just one factor. That said, I find that when I’m happier with how I look, it gives me more self confidence … which leads to better present myself in other areas. One piece of advice (though you have probably thought of this already), do the research on the company and on the founder so you have good questions ready when they ask, “Do you have any questions?”

Have you started the interview process yet? 

Best Answer

I think that you can find motivation in different things, finding ways to increase motivation is crucial because it allows us to change behavior, be creative, set goals, make plans, develop talents, and boost engagement 💪😊 ... 

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

To Carol B:

Yes!!!

I am glad to report that the event went well (without going into details, it was something that required me to get a committee approval, which I got). I just hope I did not acquire Covid during the subsequent celebration with colleagues and friends (everything  and everyone OK so far).

Best Answer

Yeah, I've been to one interview before and it was awful. Maybe I'm just insecure. I was very quiet and they repeated the questions several times in a row...

Best Answer

Music! Music has always motivated me to do every and anything!

Best Answer

I'm with you @Joker13133! Love dopamine in my body when I listen my favorite song, it helps me when I'm down. 

Best Answer
0 Votes