Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What motivates you?

The past 4 months have pushed me to evaluate my current mental and physical well being.

My sister who is young (37), healthy by all outward appearances, active military and very active is facing the most challenging time of her life. In November, she was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer. She is currently undergoing chemo - 3 sessions down, 3 to go - with a double mastectomy and radiation to follow. So far, her body is responding very well to the treatment. Her tumor markers have dropped from 121 to 45.

My in-laws who are elderly (78-79) are slowly losing their independence. My father in law was recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's and while visiting them last week, he had noticeably deteriorated. In addition, my mother in law fell from the steps, breaking her arm and causing a brain bleed. She is currently in inpatient rehab. My husband and his sister are now working on getting home health involved as neither of their parents are able to care for themselves any longer.

These events have all been a reality check for me and a harsh reminder of how short life can be and how easy it is to take simple things for granted.

I see my sister's struggle and I'm reminded of the importance of keeping my own wellbeing in check. Make & keep those doctors appointments. Eat healthier. Get those #'s in check. I see my in-laws struggle and I'm reminded to take care of the one body God has given me. Be active. Be strong.

This isn't a new idea....like many, it's another cycle of the roller coaster I have been on for the past several years. The only difference is the motivation. I want to do it for myself as well as my family. To remain an active participant in my life.

What's your motivation?

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

Believe it or not, Covid is my motivation. It scared me into some good habits that have been reinforced over this last year. 

• No eating in restaurants. Carry out now and then otherwise cooking ... which makes it easier to stick to healthy foods.
  • All grocery shopping is by curbside pick up so there is no impulse buying.
  • We’ve been pretty much sheltering in place since hubby and I are both high risk. With nothing to do and nowhere to go, we are walking, walking, walking when weather permits. 

We were both pre-Type II Diabetic pre-covid. Not anymore. We’ve both lost enough weight to put us back to healthy sugar levels. I’m not happy that Covid is here. But it sure helped motivate us to break some bad habits. 

Best Answer

Covid has definitely changed everyone’s works! I’m happy to hear it’s impacting you in a positive way! Perspective is so important!

Best Answer

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on this and for sharing this part of your life with the Community @tammig

I do think that we live a large portion of our lives taking things for granted and this prevents us from enjoying the present and the everyday little things. 

At the beginning of last year I found out I had 3 hernias when I injured my leg while going down the stairs. I was barely able to walk or do anything else for a few months; this type of events truly change our perspective of life, we develop a sense for what's really important. 

I did not appreciate how fortunate I was to be able to go for a walk in the park until I was not able to do it anymore and I though I would live with the pain and taking meds for the rest of my life. My condition has improved a lot and I barely feel any pain now, but my perspective of things has really changed. 

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer
You're right! We get so wrapped up in the day to day, here and now that we
totally lose sight of the "really" important things / people in our lives.
I hope you're fully recovered!
Best Answer

Thank you! Yes, definitely @tammig😁 

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer
0 Votes