Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who here meditates?

Just curious about people's meditation practice. What type do you do? How often? And most importantly, how it has impacted your life.

I've been meditating for a few years now. At first, I did the counting the breaths thing. Then, it was watching all the thoughts come and go like clouds. Currently I practice "just sitting", which really doesn't have any intent of "doing" behind it, and is very, very peaceful. It's the only practice that has brought real equanimity to my life, and I'm thankful for it.

I'd like to start standing meditation again, but it's very taxing. Friends that do martial arts highly recommend it.

So how do you meditate? Cushion? Chair? Music? No music? Tried meditating and found it difficult? Love it? Hate it? Chime in!

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
75 REPLIES 75

Thank you for sharing this information @Darknaut, I've always been interested in virtual reality and this seems like a very cool thing to try out 😱 

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer
0 Votes

Tai ji quan,  qi gong, nei gong .  Mostly moving meditations, except the nei gong (aka Zhan Zhuang).   Have done TJQ for over 35 years.

When I started i was also bicycling to and from work and for exercise.  Slow moving TJQ is a balance harmony health meditation.  Hence the fit with biking.

I am now 79 yo.  the Meditation has helped keep blood pressure in check.  Unlike yoga the movement and balance together help prevent falls (a major aging issue).   There is also a deep Familiarity with my body at this age,  not the body of a 25, 40, or 60 yo.  I think I know when and what i can do without injuring myself. 

In addition i do seated meditations which go back to Quaker roots.  Generally I am in much better shape than most people my age.  The fitbit does help me to remember to walk regularly.

Best Answer

Wow, thank you for sharing this information @cacciato, it's great to read about the experience from someone who's been practicing meditation for so long.  😀

Best Answer

Thanks for your post @cacciato. I have the deepest respect for those whose practice spans the length of time yours has, and the connection to the body and mind it provides. Surely the dividends will continue to pay.

A friend share this video with me yesterday. Not strictly TJQ, but still flowing, meditative and beautiful. Thought you might enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05_qYUUZaU4

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

Excellent, thank you for sharing @WavyDavey!! 😁 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've been meditating every day since April 2007.  At first it was just 5 minutes, then over time I increased it to 20 and now 30 minutes every morning before I do anything else.  It's a great way to 'reset' your biology, your mind and your intentions and learn how to 'go with the flow'.  Within the past year I've added the 7 sutras to my meditation practice:  Ahambramasme, Tat twam Asi, Satchitananda, San Calpa, Moaksha, Shiva Shakti, and Ree Tam.  It's important to  do one a day and in the order they're given as they build upon each other.  Life has become easier, more serendipitous, my intuition has increased considerably, and I have a lot less stress because I know who I am.  I highly recommend daily meditation and if you're not sure what to do there are lots of excellent meditation tapes out there to get you started.  At one point you won't need them anymore, but for newbies, they're a great place to start.

Best Answer

I can't meditate. I can't free my head from thoughts

Best Answer
The goal is not to free your head from thoughts. That is not possible.
The goal is to be aware of your thoughts, that they are not YOU, just
observe them, let them be and instead pay attention to and focus on THE
SPACE between your thoughts.
That is who you are: the space, the gap, consciousness, being, peace.
Meditation is about becoming familiar with what the body feels like when it
is at peace.
Best Answer

I like it. Started with transcendental meditation, it was the equivalent of trending at the time. Over time it has changed, evolved.

As to the impact it has on my life, don't know how to answer that. I learned very early in life, just right time, right place stuff. I think NOT meditating would impact my life more than meditating does as meditation of some form or another is infused into the majority of the things I put energy into and has been for a long time, it's innate at this point.

I'm certain it's practice can be useful for digging deeper. Things like trance work, developing various previously unexplored abilities and even just being able to cope when life gets interesting. 

Best Answer

I have meditated off and on for years but am struggling to get started again.  I first got started with Jon Kabit Zinn and like Pena Chodron.  When practicing mindfulness (I usually lay down and listen to a guided mediation), after about a month, I truly feel I have better control of my emotions and, while training with some great MMA guys, I started to be able to relax under conditions that required one not to "gas out."  

Best Answer
Direct experience is always the best teacher. I recommend A New Earth by
Eckhart Tolle.
Best Answer

Excellent suggestions everyone! 

I always tried to free my head of thoughts when I first started to try meditation, but eventually realized that wasn't possible for me and started to concentrate more on that space between thoughts that you guys mentioned. I was surprised to learn this was possible and this actually helped me to reduce stress 😁

Best Answer
Yes, it's all about the space... 🙂
Best Answer

Exactly @ckunert2👽 

Best Answer

There is nothing wrong about falling asleep while meditating! Just means that your brain is very relaxed. Never feel that you haven't meditated correctly as there is  no such thing as correct meditation. Just do it consistently!

Best Answer
If your goal is to fall asleep, that is fine. If your goal is to meditate,
then you need to be awake.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I meditate. Have been at since around 1975. What's up? Got questions?
Best Answer
No, I have no questions. I'm actually a meditation teacher. I had just
responded to a post that said it's okay to fall asleep while meditating.
Don't think so... 🙂
Best Answer
0 Votes
I meditate for a half hour everyday (almost) and have for years.
Best Answer

That's a very good habit you developed @Freckles16

That's a reasonable time for me as well, since the afternoons are very busy for me, and starting the day with some meditation has its benefits.  😀

Best Answer
0 Votes