Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit grossly overcounts my stairs.

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I put muy fitbit on when I wake up...do some walking around the house and then drive to work....when I get to work 3 miles away my fit bit says I have climed 10 flights of stairs. Is there anyway to NOT count the elevation between my house and work?  Apparently that is what it is doing?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 REPLY 1

Hi @pegpeg100. You may be right, but I think the floors are registering probably due to the ventilation in the car, or a window pulled down; thus causing turbulence (barometric pressure changes) which, in conjunction with movememnts while driving (steering, bumps on the road, etc.) causes the altimeter to register floors when there were none.

Unfortunately, that's pretty much inevitable with any fitness tracker equipped with an altimeter to track floors, regardless of the brand. The good news is that you can delete them if you want, using the instructions in this help document: Delete data.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with it and let them stand. Floors are empty of incremental calories you know, true and false floors alike. So for me, floors is just a statistic aimed at keeping folks motivated to be more active, to take the stairs instead of the escalator/elevator at the office or at the mall. When looking at true floors, the only caloric burn credit you get is for the steps recorded by your tracker for going up and down the stairs or hills... No incremental burn for the ascent, and no deduction when gravity helps your descent either, so I guess it pretty much evens out.

Hope this helps. Have a good day.

TandemWalker.png            TW             TandemWalker.png

(If this tip solved the problem for you, please mark this post solved, as this will be helpful to other users experiencing similar issues.) 

Best Answer