Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit one floors suddenly undercounting

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I bought my one a couple months ago because I have a lot of hiking I'm going over the summer. It seems that the fitbit was the best at doing elevation gain over long distances (gradual slopes), where my iPhone only counts floors if I am basically immediately on stairs. I was really hoping to capture this information reliably. 

Unfortunately I'm a day away from starting and 2 days ago suddenly the Fitbit is way undercounting. Where it used to count 5 floors over a couple city blocks (where runkeeper would track 53 feet of elevation gain), and now it is counting nothing - a similar route with RK tracking 38 feet, and Fitbit giving 0 floors today, and 60 - 0 yesterday. I reset it last night, and hoped it would fix itself, but after walking today (the 38-0) it doesn't look like it did. I'm trying to figure out whether it is broken, whether something is blocking the altimeter, or what I can do to try and resolve this without waiting for a replacement to be sent out. If I need to wait, then I'll miss a significant portion of my planned hikes so that would be a real bummer. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for your response Steve. It turns out I resolved the issue myself and I thought I'd post the answer here in case someone else runs into it. Basically what happened is my clip (the one that came with the one) that was holding it got bent a little weird and I think started blocking air from getting to the hole. I spent a little time tweaking the clip (manually bending it back), and from what I can tell it's back to normal. 

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

I don't think there are a lot of options here.

If it is a software glitch then the restart procedure should have fixed it. However, the restart is known to not always work so it might be worth trying that a few more times.

My guess would be your idea of a blockage. It tracks floors by measuring changes in air pressure which it senses via a small hole on the back of the tracker. It might be worth gently cleaning this with a toothpick or toothbrush.

Good luck!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for your response Steve. It turns out I resolved the issue myself and I thought I'd post the answer here in case someone else runs into it. Basically what happened is my clip (the one that came with the one) that was holding it got bent a little weird and I think started blocking air from getting to the hole. I spent a little time tweaking the clip (manually bending it back), and from what I can tell it's back to normal. 

Best Answer
0 Votes