Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Floors claimed

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My fitbit one is showing I did 26 floors today and only did stairs 3 times. Smiley Frustrated

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Here is an aticle that might help:

http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/How-does-my-tracker-count-floors/?q=count+floors&...

Floors are counted using an altimeter. An altimeter is a sensor that calculates altitude based on atmospheric pressure and atmospheric pressure decreases with increasing elevation, so the it calculates elevation gain based on the reduction in atmospheric pressure. Your trackers register a floor when they detect continuous motion combined with an elevation gain of about 10 feet. Given the fact that 10 feet is an average between residential and commercial floor heights, although commercial floors in particular tend to be higher than residential floors.

It will add floors when it is windy or cold.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
22 REPLIES 22

Here is an aticle that might help:

http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/How-does-my-tracker-count-floors/?q=count+floors&...

Floors are counted using an altimeter. An altimeter is a sensor that calculates altitude based on atmospheric pressure and atmospheric pressure decreases with increasing elevation, so the it calculates elevation gain based on the reduction in atmospheric pressure. Your trackers register a floor when they detect continuous motion combined with an elevation gain of about 10 feet. Given the fact that 10 feet is an average between residential and commercial floor heights, although commercial floors in particular tend to be higher than residential floors.

It will add floors when it is windy or cold.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

I see this problem has been 'solved'.

Seems that to say something is 'normal' makes us believe an issue is solved, when in fact it is not.

On my routine short walk (with no elevation), the Fitbit One clocked 66 stairs; another day on the same route it clocked 33 stairs. Most days it clocks errrr zero stairs. Was it 'windy' in my pocket? Don't think so. Was it 'cold' in my pocket? Surely not. This morning it clocked 5 stairs, coming down one flight of stairs. Fitbit One (and perhaps other Fitbit devices) does not allow me to delete incorrect Stairs; but no matter, I have just been awarded my Mount Everest Badge! 🙂

Cheers

Derek

Best Answer
Too exhausted from all the stair nonclimbing to argue the point. I was just being appreciative that someone responded. In the giant scheme of things, there are more pressing problems than this and it righted itself the next day. I know how many times I climb and don't climb in a day. Annoying/dismaying glitch when first encountered...yes. Taken into perspective a day or so later...I'll survive. Thank you for the input.
Best Answer

@DerekCull thanks for your feedback! Just like @WendyB's link said there are several reasons why your tracker can award you with extra stairs. @Nanmarie Have you guys tried restarting your One trackers? That sometimes does the trick. If not, then please do the following:

1. Plug your charging cable into your computer.
  2. Plug your Fitbit One tracker into the charging cable, making sure that the gold contacts on your tracker align with the gold contacts in the inside of the charger.
  3. Hold down your tracker's button for 10-12 seconds.
  4. Remove your tracker from the charging cable and press its button until the screen turns on.

Also, you can negate those extra floors counted. For more info on how to do it, click this link with a post by @EdsonFitbit. Good luck guys! Smiley Wink

Mariam | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you receive the answer you were looking for? Mark the post as an accepted solution! 🙂

Best Answer
Thank you. Very helpful information! It seems to have righted itself in the interim. Maybe one day I will actually get that many stairs 😉

Get Outlook for Android
Best Answer

@Nanmarie you're very welcome! Of course, I'm sure you'll be able to climb 26 floors one day! They key is perseverance and lots of motivation from your buddy Heart (your One Smiley Tongue).

Happy stepping! 

Did you receive the answer you were looking for? Mark the post as an accepted solution! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I climbed a lot of stairs this weekend, and it didn't record any of them.  I tried emphasizing my steps more and it counted 2 stair climbs out of about 10.  This morning, I have climbed no stairs, and it counted 10!  It is frustrating!  I'm thinking of going back to my Omron pedometer, which seemed more accurate with the steps anyway!  Why have the stairs thing on the Fitbit One if it is so inaccurate?  Just delete it so we don't get so irritated with it!

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer

@GentleOne welcome to the forums! First, i'd recommend restarting your tracker, by doing the following:

1. Plug your charging cable into your computer.
  2. Plug your Fitbit One tracker into the charging cable, making sure that the gold contacts on your tracker align with the gold contacts in the inside of the charger.
  3. Hold down your tracker's button for 10-12 seconds.
  4. Remove your tracker from the charging cable and press its button until the screen turns on.

Then, please keep in mind that your One registers a floor when it detects continuous motion combined with an elevation gain of about 10 feet. Because your One looks for continuous motion, pausing too long when going up a flight of stairs can cause your tracker to not count the floor. 

10 feet is an average between residential and commercial floor heights. If the floors you're climbing are shorter than 10 feet, you may find that the Fitbit One's floor count doesn't exactly match how many floors you've gone up. For example, if you climb 3 floors that are 8 feet tall (for a total gain of 24 feet), then the Fitbit tracker might only tell you 2 floors because it assumes that each floor is 10 feet tall.

Another cause of inaccurate floors is moisture. For example, the pathway to the altimeter on the back of your tracker can become clogged temporarily with sweat. I recommend drying your tracker thoroughly after every workout session. Smiley Happy Hope this helps. Keep me posted! 

Best Answer

Okay, that might explain why some times my stairs were not counted at all.  Thanks for that info!  However, how does it explain that my fitbit one said I'd done 10 stairs this morning before I even went outside for my walk?  I live in a rambler, so no steps there!  🙂  (I am seriously considering returning my fitbit one, but I'd like to find a reason to keep it, as it was a Christmas present from my husband!)

Best Answer

@GentleOne you're very welcome! Actually, you tracker may give you credit for extra floors for a variety of reasons. Occasionally your One may detect pressure changes unrelated to elevation gains, such as a gust of wind, weather change, or opening a door. Exposure to excess moisture can also result in extra floors being counted. This happens if the pathway to the altimeter on the back of your tracker becomes temporarily blocked with sweat or water. Hope this helps. Also, a restart might help to avoid any discrepancies in the future. Let me know how it goes! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
Thanks for your help!  I'm still learning how to use my One!  🙂  ~GentleOne/Myrna
Best Answer

@GentleOne it's lovely to hear back from you. No problem! Smiley Happy I'm happy to help here. I'll leave your One Manual in case you have any inquiry about how does your tracker work. I really hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other inquiry! Smiley Tongue I'll be around! 

Best Answer

My One seemed to be counting floors fairly accurately until the past few days.  Now it is giving me credit for far more floors than I'm actually climbing.  

Based on what you've explained here, I think I'll reset my One before bed tonight and give it a good wipe with a damp cloth, then leave it to dry overnight and see what tomorrow brings.

Thanks for the information!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@akailiajade You're very welcome! Do post back with the outcome. Smiley Wink I'd really like for us to figure this out together. Smiley Happy 

I'll be looking forward to your new comments!

Best Answer

@MariamV wrote:

@akailiajade You're very welcome! Do post back with the outcome. Smiley Wink I'd really like for us to figure this out together. Smiley Happy 

I'll be looking forward to your new comments!

My Fitbit One seems to be working fine now, so this must have worked.  I plugged it into the USB port and reset it as directed. Then I gave it an all over wipe with a damp paper towel and let it set out to dry over night.  Problem solved!

Best Answer

This has been broken for a long time! I get many more stairs every day than I actually do. Tried all the solutions and never changes. I just ignore the stairs.

Best Answer
0 Votes

So the solution is "don't sweat." Very helpful.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@akailiajade thanks for getting back to me! Reading that the solutions provided helped and solved your issue! If you have any other question, please ask! 

I'll be around. Smiley Wink

@hokiefit thanks for your input and for troubleshooting beforehand. Please note that as good measure it's always recommended to thoroughly dry your tracker after every workout session! This is to keep your buddy dry and happy. Smiley Happy Heart 

As a last resort try re-pairing your tracker to your Fitbit account as a way to "refresh" your tracker sort of speak. Smiley Wink Please do this without unpairing your One. Give it a try and let me know how it goes! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,

I've done all the things recommended in this thread and it still gets it wrong. 

I live on the second floor (3rd floor in US terms) of my building. The stairs are indoors, do no wind etc. This morning I walked up and down the stairs to the ground floor twice (so 4 floors) and only got 2 floors!! If anything I should be getting more floors, not less, because the flights are higher than 10 feet.

The other week I was getting 20 or 30 Floors for days when I'd only climbed a few sets of stairs. 

Fitbit REALLY needs to add the facility to amend floor counts, as it gets it wrong so much of the time, bit allocates calories to that days quota, meaning I can't accurately calorie count for that day, which is extremely frustrating.

Fitbit really needs to get this fixed, otherwise it's not for for purpose as advertised.

Best Answer
0 Votes