Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beta Blockers and Cardio Heart Levels

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I take a beta blocker to keep my blood pressure under control.  This causes my heart to beat slower.  According to the folks at the Cardiac Rehab clinic at the local hospital, this means I reach Cardio level at a lower heart rate than other people.  Would Fitbit please add a check box that I'm on beta blockers, then show cardio level of heart activity at about 20 bpm above resting. 

Best Answer
10 REPLIES 10

Hi, @Roger_O, on your web based dashboard you have the ability to set custom heartrate levels. 

Go to your web profile settings and scroll down.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks, but what I'd like to do is modify the setting on the 'cardio' heart rate so that when I exercise, and get my heart rate in the appropriate range, it registers as 'cardio' level rather than as 'custom' or 'fat burn'.  Less explaining to myself and others that way. 

Best Answer

@Roger_O, I am afraid that the custom HR setting that I directed you to is the only available customisation for heart rate.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Okay, thanks.  That confirms that I wasn't missing something obvious.  So, does anyone know if the nice people at Fitbit monitor this message board, looking for suggestions for future enhancements?  Or do I need to post that somewhere else in order to get it submitted to development for consideration? 

Best Answer

Roger, may i ask how you are doing it now wuith the fitbit. i have been advised to lower the ranges between 10-20bpm so i get a better idea of what im doing. i clock very few active minutes at present because my HR is so low from the beta blocker. its so confusing.

Best Answer

Hi there, I also am on beta-blocker (for afib) & have a Fitbit Inspire HR.Yup, Cant use HR changes , like others can, to be registed in the Cardio zone.Need to use Talk test  &/or ease of breathing as you push harder in order to notice better fitness.Also,I know my RHR stays near 60(always ) so I look at my avge HR during exercise ( it does hover near 100,which was my RHR before the medication!😉) I did once get a "cardio" read ot while exercising, but I had been gasping for air to get that...not healthy and not worth doing to simply see it on a graph.As you become more fit,you will notice you can do the same exercise with easier breathing,for longer times,for longer distances etc.And no..I personally doubt Fitbit will create a custom fitbit device for folks like us..but wouldnt that be gr8! 💕 take care.Would luv to know how you are doing these days.

Barb W  or BWGrace...for some reason I have 2 profiles! Trying to get that figured out😁

Best Answer
0 Votes

How about entering an older age? Say you are ten years older than you are and i think fit bit will adjust to appropriate settings for you. Thanks 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same here. I take a beta blocker for POTS. I feel like my new Fitbit is rather useless, really. Don’t even know if I can trust the sleep data.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

So, old aging equals slower heart rate?  I can’t even trust the sleep readings because my heart rate is affected by the beta blocker to keep my heart rate steady (not tachycardic) upon standing. I have POTS.  So, my resting heart rate is lower during sleep.

Best Answer
0 Votes

hi, @SunsetRunner , yes, generally speaking as you age your maximum heart rate lowers, so the point at which you enter zones.  So, for example, a person in their late 60s or 70s may be in “peak” zone when their heart is beating at only, say, 125 bpm, while someone in their 20s may need to get to 160 bpm before they are at “peak”.  Of course everyone is individual and these are only rough estimates, and that will also be affected by any medication, especially beta blockers.  

Fitbits are not medical devices but can be tools to help you achieve better fitness by giving you more information about how your own heart rate responds to exercise.  As mentioned above, you can set custom levels for your heart rate if your needs are different.

A lower resting heart rate during sleep is usual.

Best Answer
0 Votes