Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 2 Overcounting Floors/Stairs Climbed

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Need Help with Floor Count:

I have been using a Charge 2 for a few months now. It was ok in the first month or so, for over a month now it has been adding floors to my daily count non-stop, on some days up to 147!! It seems any time I lift my arms or move them in an upward direction its adding floors.  It goes really crazy if I take an aerobic or dance class.

I used a Charge HR for a year and it never had this problem.

Can someone please write back to me and let me know it this is a defect or is there a solution to this problem?

Thank You!

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Piggy backing on this post to ask if this issue is being investigated. The floor counts on my brand new Charge 2 are widely high. 126 floors yesterday just from walking around the house. My previous One was very accurate, I understand the Charge 2 determines floors differently, but this is ridiculous (and disappointing).

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
14 REPLIES 14

I'm glad to see a new member here, welcome @TereTere! This is very strange let me say, however, I'd recommend restarting your buddy at least 3 times in a row. Once you've done that, check this post of my friend @Baltoscott to see some factors that may be affecting your floors counting.

Hope that helps! 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having the same problem with my Charge 2. Sometimes it counts over 50 floors when I wake up in the morning! Over 120 at the end of the day even if I stay in bed most of the time. I did all that and did not work

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome here @dulribeiro, hope you're doing good! Thanks for troubleshooting this already, great way to start!

As you may know my friend, your Charge 2 uses both the accelerometer and the altimeter to track floors.  Algorithms interpret the raw data into a floor.  It registers a floor when it detects continuous motion combined with an elevation gain of about 10 feet.

Said that, here are some of the possible causes for this inaccuracy:

• The tracker may track floors while driving, on an elevator or in an escalator
  • Due to the Charge 2 is a wristband tracker, it may track floors while opening doors, from a weather change, or from a gust of wind (i.e.  pressure changes)

Occasionally your tracker may detect pressure changes unrelated to elevation gains, such as a gust of wind, weather change, or opening a door. Exposure to excess moisture can also result in extra floors being counted. This happens if the pathway to the altimeter on the back of your tracker becomes temporarily blocked with sweat or water. I recommend that your tracker be worn loosely during exercise. 

I haven't experienced this before, I'd recommend checking what I posted above to see if something listed there is causing the discrepancy.

Share the outcome! Smiley Very Happy

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

The "explanations" by Fitbit reps don't really wash - This is clearly a defect in the new Fitbit Charge 2 model.  I am also experiencing MASSIVE over counting of stairs / floors climbed... and, yes, I've re-started multiple times.  This isn't the first Fitbit I've owned; over the past four years I've owned the HR as well as the Alta. And I've never had them count door openings, wind, driving or changes in weather as floor seats counted. 

PLEASE FIX THIS OBVIOUS DEFECT.

Best Answer

Hey there @Lynn2063, thanks for jumping up and trying the suggestions provided! Since this sounds a bit more serious, I've shared your post with Customer Support, they will reply to you within the following days. Smiley Wink

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to let me know.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,

Piggy backing on this post to ask if this issue is being investigated. The floor counts on my brand new Charge 2 are widely high. 126 floors yesterday just from walking around the house. My previous One was very accurate, I understand the Charge 2 determines floors differently, but this is ridiculous (and disappointing).

Best Answer

I gave up on the accuracy of Charge 2 counting floors. I did the  recommended procedures to reset a number of times and it didn't work. I totally agree that this is a defect, Fitbit needs to fix this problem and not continue to IGNORE IT!

Ny previous Charge HR didn't have this problem at all. 

Best Answer

PLEASE Fitbit, stop putting this problem with the Charge 2 as fixed, IT IS NOT!

Best Answer

Fixed=Solved

Best Answer
0 Votes

Like others in the post my Fitbit is also highly over estimating my stair climbs. Every day over the past week its registered in the 100s daily. I have had my device for a couple of years and it’s been fine up to now but I can’t seem to resolve this issue by the methods previously suggested and I’m not under warranty any more. Please help! 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I think you got lucky that your Charge 2 worked well up to now. Mine over counted from the beginning and the solutions given by Fitbit do not fix the problem. I gave up on relying on that feature and ignore it.
Since Fitbit has not truly addressed this problem with users, when my Charge 2 gives up I am considering buying a different brand.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

My Charge 2 counted 140 flights today.

I may have climbed 4.

I did reset the system as directed in a prior discussion.  No help.

Is the warranty good for 12 months? How do I return this one?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Good description.  I completely agree.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This was three years ago.  I've got the same problem.  

I bought this Charge 2 about nine months ago.

Any fixes available?

Best Answer
0 Votes