Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 2 calorie counter accuracy

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hey guys,

I'm new to exercising regularly. I'm trying to lose weight (5'1" 185 lbs) to become healthier and feel better. I've been working out and watching my diet for about 4 weeks and my boyfriend got me a fitbit charge 2 this weekend to encourage me to keep going. Well, my question is the accuracy of the calories burned on my Fitbit. I had been using a treadmill to track my progress, but today I noticed that my Fitbit had recorded my calories burned as 195 more calories than what the gym treadmill was reading! Can someone please tell me if this is accurate or if I'm doing something wrong?

Best Answer
0 Votes
62 REPLIES 62
I highly disagree with the premise of your comments here when you say caloric expenditure is dynamic and the 3500 calorie burn is misleading, mostly because I've found it to be incorrect as I've done by own calculations for weight loss and never found this to be true and have stayed pretty much exactly where I expected to be over the course of 100 lbs of weight loss and never experienced what you're talking about - I always lost exactly what I thought I should lose based on exertion over time.

The fact is your strength goes up and your exertion decreases as you lose weight and stay active. The muscle you can add will help offset some of the BMR changes but you overall output isn't the same as it is when you're heavier and have mess muscle. Calorie output is dynamic only because your work changes. You aren't moving as much mass so you aren't working as hard thus you're not burning as much fat off. Your BMR will also change and that's important to remember however your BMR isn't as critical of assessor when you exert yourself, BMR just tells you where you'll be calorie burn wise if you do nothing all day. But the 3500 calorie burned per pound stat is factually based and has never been close to disproven. You have to burn 3500 calories yo burn a pound. The only reason you wouldn't burn a pound is because your body isn't burning enough of the calorie types in your system right now and the conversion process may not be linear when your body has to convert fat cells to energy/ fuel when you're running or doing some other higher cardio-esque workout. But then again that process also adds to calorie burn because it's work and calories burned is just another way to say work for your body.

Calories aren't dynamic but your exertion is. Plenty of documentation out there to support it and if it weren't true then my own documented experiences with weight loss and targeting calorie burns for a desired results would have never worked repeatedly. This was of course when I used a BodyBugg and not a Fitbit and that device was far more accurate overall than anything we have today but the company was acquired by Jawbone and Jawbone hasn't done squat with the tech.

Get Outlook for Android
Best Answer
0 Votes

It is saying that you burned 600 calories while it’s not on your wrist because of BMR. BMR is the calories your body burns just by being alive. So if you did absolutely nothing all day you would still burn calories. Hope this helps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

If  you do resistance work and build some muscle,  you'll burn even more calories while at rest.

Zirc

Best Answer
0 Votes