Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 2 screen scratch

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Had mine 1 week - deep scratch - totally bummed. It was a bday gift that they bought from Best Buy, they didn't get the extended warranty. Couldn't exchange. They recommend to call FitBit and see what they could do. Since I didn't buy from them they couldn't exchange or repair. They could only give me a discount if I wanted to buy a new one. I did order a screen protector, too little to late, but hopefully it will prevent it from future scratches. Called around to screen fix places - no help. Ugh 

So I'm reaching out to the community, any suggestions?

Thanks 

Moderator edit: subject for clarity

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hey my friend @FitMomLB! I'm very sorry to hear about this inconvenience. Let me tell you that you did the right thing by contacting our customer support team. Is not that they don't wanna replace your device, if not that this type of damage is not cover under the warranty terms as you can see in my image below.

scratches.png

We don't want to create frustration in our customers. Fitbit has been designed to provide motivation and help you to reach your daily goals to success. Please know that we provide feedback to our team based on community posts and we are always working on improving our devices and overall environment based on that feedback.

Your understanding is very appreciated! Have a good one! 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
17 REPLIES 17

Hey my friend @FitMomLB! I'm very sorry to hear about this inconvenience. Let me tell you that you did the right thing by contacting our customer support team. Is not that they don't wanna replace your device, if not that this type of damage is not cover under the warranty terms as you can see in my image below.

scratches.png

We don't want to create frustration in our customers. Fitbit has been designed to provide motivation and help you to reach your daily goals to success. Please know that we provide feedback to our team based on community posts and we are always working on improving our devices and overall environment based on that feedback.

Your understanding is very appreciated! Have a good one! 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer

Same issue here after two months use.  From what I've read, these appear to scratch very easily. Fitbit should recommend the purchase of screen protectors as the screens don't seem to stand up to normal day to day activity.  I received mine as a gift and the giver bought the full warranty.  The warranty company directed me to Fitbit, who has already said no (after a 23 minute call).  So I'm not even sure if the "full" warranty will do any good.  I was a big fan till now.  

Best Answer

I go through about one screen protector a month, and they cost less than a dollar apiece. And they really work.

There is a request in the Suggested Features board to make the future screens out of gorilla glass, like phones are these days, that we can vote for. If enough of us vote, they may implement it.

Though it really sucks getting a scratch on a screen that we look at many times a day, I don't really fault fitbit. It's a fitness tracker, and mine's always getting bumped against iron weight plates or machines. I'd guess watch manufacturers also don't warranty against scratches on the watch face?

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

The screen on my charge2 is scratched and almost to the point where I can't see the time, my steps, etc. Multiple minor scratches, caused by no more than daily activity, has ruined my favorite accessory. Is this cosmetic when you can't use the device? I argue that this is caused by poor quality and a bad screen design.  Based on multiple posts, it appears the customer must suffer.  I am a military officer and have not done anything outside of daily activities. I haven't deployed with this Fitbit or placed it in harm's way. The screen is easily damaged and the charge2, in my opinion, is too fragile for everyday use. It is hard for me to recommend the charge 2 to my fellow military members who might consider deploying with this device. Please redesign the screen.  

Best Answer

Same here. I have only been using it for 3 weeks and already 3 nasty scratches on it. I have ordered screen protectors but the face material must be pretty soft to scratch so easily. I have no problem with the watch I was wearing all the time I wore the fitbit an it's a cheap £30 watch but faced with glass.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thumbs down! This suggestion didn't solve anything other than make it clear that fitbit still uses cheap materials in many of their products. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Where do you get screen protectors?

Best Answer
0 Votes

You can get them on Amazon, which is where i got mine.

Thanks.
Best,

Scott

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer

I have been using a Pebble steel for almost two years, and have never got a scratch. The glass face is pretty tough. Just got my charge 2 and I'm not taking any risks. I cut out a piece of mobile phone screenguard, slightly smaller than the face, and hopefully it will work. The phone screen guard was about 2 USD, and I should get at least six protectors from it, so it's worth trying

Best Answer
0 Votes

I feel your pain buddy.

The screen on my first Charge 2 scratched VERY easily AND the strap has a fault!

Not best happy as it is less than 3 months old.

I wouldn't complain if I did very dirty or manual work such as construction or similar but I don't and have been really careful with it and not even allowed it get rain on the **ahem** thing!

I bought another and if this goes the same way I will never buy another fitbit - the screen quality is garbage. It ought to be gorilla glass in the very least, it's all down to price I know, however I for one would be more than happy to pay more for it if it was of an even higher quality - no problem.

We'll see if this second Charge 2 scratches - I have even fitted a high quality screen protector to this one just in case!

If it does - over to the smartwatch or Garmin side of things for me. 😉

Fitbit - sort out the screens!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Unfortunately, acrylic/plastic is not scratch proof. Gorilla glass is the same. Once you have a scratch you are stuck with it. Luckily, with the Charge 2 it can be polished out really easy, and in a few mins the screen is back to normal.

Any plastic/acrylic scratch remover should work.

Here is my thread about it: How to fix scratches on charge 2

I used Autosol (metal) but any of these should work fine. Polywatch is recommended.

Halfords - Fenwick plastic/acrylic scratch remover (not used but cheap)

Autosol - soft and hard plastic remover (I used the metal one which was great, this may be even better)

Watch Face restorer (not used)

Polywatch (not used but friends with acrylic/plastic watch faces swear by this stuff)

Here is a review, before and after using Polywatch on a Charge 2, looks like it works great!

Polywatch - charge hr 2

Post back any feedback or photos so everyone can have a look at the results. There is hope!

Best Answer
Hey bud,
Thanks for the input. Good to know and I agree. I got a second one and
slapped a screen protector on it and it helped.

Not sure if I will get another fitbit again.
Have to see.

Fitbit needs to get their @#$% together especially with the screens. .
Best Answer
0 Votes

Watch manufacturers have been using Acrylic/Plastic for their watches for years! Rolex use the same material and they cost thousands of £. http://www.wristtimes.com/blog-1/2014/6/15/cleaning-a-plexiglass-crystal-with-polywatch

The problem is most people don't look after things, these aren't indestructible. But, it's easy to remedy. Autosol or polywatch will work.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi I got my fitbit 6 months ago, It only got  one minor scratch, so I'm pretty happy, I'm just wondering if this might end up hurting the watches function.

Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes

The screen is terrible and scratches easily. My Fitbit has so many
scratches that you can barely see the time. One minor scratch will be
okay.

--

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ok, Thank you so much!!!! Thats all I wanted to know.

Best Answer
0 Votes

To all you Fitbit users. You need to understand that Fitbit does not stand behind their product. They have admitted in an email that there is an issue with the screens. Somewhere around a year(or sooner) your screen will crack for no reason. All that they will do is give you a 25% discount that expires in 30 days.

Needless to say I will not be purchasing another product of theirs. There are thousands of consumers who have had similar problems and Fitbit chooses to ignore it and not care about the consumer. Shame on you Fitbit.

Best Answer