Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 3 is too dimmed even with Brightness set to Normal

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

In the last few weeks I saw that my charge 3 device, even in brightness level = Normal is still too dimmed. In the past normal brightness was good enough even in a room with a lot of light, and now I can hardly see it. 

What happened?

Moderator edit: subject for clarity

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Lird1234, I'm right there with you.

I'll try to use friendly language here, since the mods keep taking down my posts which are critical of FitBit's handling of this situation.

Theses are facts, not opinions:

• Many people's Fitbit Charge3 screens have gone so dim that the device is unusable.
  • My out of warranty complaint about this resulted in a 35% off coupon for a new device bought from FitBit's own store.
  • 35% off at FitBit's own store is not as good as some prices were during Amazon's Prime Days, which means that this was not actually a deal.

Now, some opinion:

• Fitbit does not do a good job with legacy support.
    • If the cause of the Charge3 problems is Firmware-related, it behooves FitBit to release a new version of the Firmware which addresses the issue for affected devices.
    • This is not the first Fitbit I've owned with persistent software issues.
  • Asking people to buy a new device at a bad price is wasteful.
    • Consider the e-waste created
    • Consider the money spent.

I know it is the job of the mods here to help us solve solvable issues.  Though they seem well-intentioned I don't think they are engineers.  When a mod makes a suggestion on something to try, keep in mind that they've made that suggestion to countless others.  I suppose that sometimes people just have their Charge3 screens set to 'dim', but the huge number of people complaining that their screens are now too dim to read makes me think that it's not just coincidence.  More likely something has changed on a firmware level that is causing this wide-spread issue.

I'm cynical, so I keep asking myself: who benefits when FitBit's have software issues that suddenly render them useless, and what power has Fitbit left us, as customers to combat the problems?  One possible solution would be to let users try older versions of the Firmware.  TomTom did this when some of their GPS watches had battery issues.  I hate having to throw away an otherwise functional device.  It is so frustrating that a company, now owned by Google, is acting this way.  We are all bought in to FitBit's device/software ecosystem.  FitBit needs to do better.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
13 REPLIES 13

Hello @Lird1234. Welcome to the community forums.

Thank you for the detailed information. Regarding your question, I'd like to let you know that the Brightness on your Charge 3 can be affected if your Charge 3 went into Sleep Mode, when this setting is activated, the screen's brightness is set to dim. But since you've confirmed that the Brightness was set to Normal and the issue persisted, then this inconvenience might be experienced due to normal wear. 

Nevertheless; I was able to see that you have reached out to our Support Team and they provided information and assistance. Since you have received assistance from them, I recommend contacting them back if you still have additional questions or inquiries about the outcome of your case. 

See you around. 

Wilson M. | Community Moderator, Fitbit.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, 

The support didn't help me much. They concluded I don't have any warranty anymore and they cannot help. All they could suggest is to go and but a new device. 

I saw there are many complaints about the brightness level in charge 3, probably started after any update you have done. If this problem is common, it's probably not the customer's fault but fitbit's.

Anyway, if all you can do is send me to start a new device, Im not sure it would be a fitbit device.

L

Best Answer

@Lird1234 Thank you very much for your reply. 

I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused and thank you very much for taking the time to provide your feedback. Please note that any feedback posted in the forums is always welcome as it helps to improve our products, services and overall environment.

On a side note, I'd like to let you know that I'm not sure about what exactly could have caused this matter, but take into consideration that your comments are also very important. In addition, please note that replacement devices are provided for products that are within the warranty period. 

For more information about our warranty policy, I recommend visiting the following link: https://www.fitbit.com/global/us/legal/returns-and-warranty

See you around. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I didn't ask for a replacement. 

I'd be more than happy to send it for repair, even if you require payment. You could offer a discount on a new one. There are a lot of other things you could do instead of telling me "You're not under warranty, we can't do anything for you". Even when it's not my fault that the display of your device suddenly dimmed.

Best Answer

I went from Charge 2 to Charge 3. Same issues 

Bought new phone—iPhone 12

tried iPad same issues 

I have had just about enough of Fitbit 

Best Answer

Same issue here it is pretty much worthless on auto or normal. 

Best Answer

Hi @Lird1234, I'm right there with you.

I'll try to use friendly language here, since the mods keep taking down my posts which are critical of FitBit's handling of this situation.

Theses are facts, not opinions:

• Many people's Fitbit Charge3 screens have gone so dim that the device is unusable.
  • My out of warranty complaint about this resulted in a 35% off coupon for a new device bought from FitBit's own store.
  • 35% off at FitBit's own store is not as good as some prices were during Amazon's Prime Days, which means that this was not actually a deal.

Now, some opinion:

• Fitbit does not do a good job with legacy support.
    • If the cause of the Charge3 problems is Firmware-related, it behooves FitBit to release a new version of the Firmware which addresses the issue for affected devices.
    • This is not the first Fitbit I've owned with persistent software issues.
  • Asking people to buy a new device at a bad price is wasteful.
    • Consider the e-waste created
    • Consider the money spent.

I know it is the job of the mods here to help us solve solvable issues.  Though they seem well-intentioned I don't think they are engineers.  When a mod makes a suggestion on something to try, keep in mind that they've made that suggestion to countless others.  I suppose that sometimes people just have their Charge3 screens set to 'dim', but the huge number of people complaining that their screens are now too dim to read makes me think that it's not just coincidence.  More likely something has changed on a firmware level that is causing this wide-spread issue.

I'm cynical, so I keep asking myself: who benefits when FitBit's have software issues that suddenly render them useless, and what power has Fitbit left us, as customers to combat the problems?  One possible solution would be to let users try older versions of the Firmware.  TomTom did this when some of their GPS watches had battery issues.  I hate having to throw away an otherwise functional device.  It is so frustrating that a company, now owned by Google, is acting this way.  We are all bought in to FitBit's device/software ecosystem.  FitBit needs to do better.

Best Answer

I totally agree about t e-waste. 

It was a really good device and I enjoyed using it for a long time.

If they had helped me I probably would have bought a new device from them... I wanted to but a smartwatch and replace my tracker, but with this attitude, I will probably check the competitors. If it happens now, it will probably happen in the future.

Best Answer

I have noticed a similar problem with my Charge 3. However, my problem is always when I'm outside. I can barely see any thing on the screen when I'm outside. Inside I don't notice any trouble. Would other posters please comment if you were ever inside when you had trouble or if you were always outside? Thanks.

And would Fitbit please add the following features to this site: 1) enable a poster to edit their own post; 2) enable a poster to delete their own post.

My 5th sentence in the post above was supposed to read "Would other posters please comment...." It would be great if I could remove the word "people" from that sentence.

Moderator Edit: Merged posts/format

Best Answer

That's exactly the problem - since the maximal brightness level are not high enough, it's impossible to read the display under bright light - like the sun or a strong internal lamp.

Best Answer

Hello everyone. Thank you for your reply and for your participation in the community forums. 

I understand how you are feeling and appreciate the feedback provided. At this time, I'd like to let you know that your comments are very important and appreciated and that we haven't made any change or release any update to the firmware of your Charge 3 devices. 

Since troubleshooting steps have been exhausted and I’ve reached the limits of what I can do for you here on the public community forums, the best recommendation is to contact our Support Team. I'm aware that some of you have already reached out to them and they have reviewed your available options. 

Your understanding is also appreciated, but if your original Charge 3 is no longer under warranty a discount could be an available option but some conditions and requirements should be met. For more information about our warranty policy, I recommend visiting the following link: https://www.fitbit.com/global/us/legal/returns-and-warranty

@Joy_Bright In regards with your inquiry about editing posts, I'd like to let you know that if you wish to add something to an existing post, you can click the three dots at the top right of your post to edit it. You can also mention users directly by using the @ sign and typing their usernames.

See you around. 

Best Answer

Hi, 

I really appreciate your attempt to support and understand my (and many others) problem. However, the bottom line is that Fitbit has failed to support a problem that is common to so many people. It's a problem that started somehow in the last few months and prevent from me from using the device that I used to love.

I wish I could understand why you insist on ignoring the issue and send me some links that lead to nowhere. It just annoys and makes me more angry about your device and support. 

I kept my device with extra care and eventually an internal problem that is very common probably, made it unusable. 

Best Answer

@Lird1234 Thanks for your reply. 

Please note that your comments are very important and they won't go unnoticed. At this time, I'd like to let you know that since you previously contacted our Support Team, I recommend replying back to them if you would like to provide additional comments regarding our warranty or regarding our products. 

Also, take into consideration that if you still have additional questions or inquiries, they will be more than glad to continue assisting you. 

See you around. 

Best Answer