Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 3 not counting steps

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I recently upgraded from my original Charge HR which counted my steps while working at my treadmill desk fairly closely.  The new Charge 3 does not pick up my steps on the treadmill at all while working.  It works as normal when not on the treadmill and if I put my hands down to my sides and swing my arms back and forth while on the treadmill like I might when walking, it does read the steps - although this is not feasible while working.  I called tech support yesterday and after the tech tried to talk to me like I was a **ahem**, he said I should reset the Charge 3 by deleting all the data and repairing it with my phone.  This has not helped at all.  One time when syncing this morning, my phone app showed a close estimate of steps in the middle of the sync, but then went back down to what was shown on the Charge 3.  I am kind of assuming Fitbit made a new algorithm for determining what constitutes a step with the Charge 3's sensors versus the Charge HR.  Am I just hosed here for getting an accurate step count with my new device, or is there something I can do?

Best Answer
19 REPLIES 19

This may be inconvenient, but have you tried putting your tracker on your ankle or in your pocket when at your desk treadmill?  It won't record heart rate, but at least you'll get an accurate step count.

The reason it reads the steps when walking is because normally when you're walking, you're not hanging on to anything, therefore limiting your arm movement.  On the desk treadmill, you're basically walking and standing at a desk, therefore limiting your arm movement.  If you put the tracker in your pocket or on your ankle, the tracker would sense your movements much better. 

Kristen | USA Cruising through the Lifestyle Forums

one cruise ship at a time!
Best Answer
0 Votes

While yes, this does get more accurate step counting (verified this over the last week) it has many limitations. I am wondering why my old Charge HR was able to track my steps fairly well in this same situation, while my brand new Charge 3 cannot. 

The Charge 3 is also getting random heart rate readings from inside my pocket which is not helping my ability to track my heart rate throughout the day. 

Thanks!

Best Answer

I also walk on treadmill at my work desk, and noticed that after changing from Charge 2 to Charge 3 a couple of weeks ago, my step count to way down. Annoying, and very disappointing of Fitbit to make such a change.

Looking forward to seeing if we get any traction with Fitbit to correct this.

Best Answer

Glad I am not the only one seeing this issue.  My miles have dipped almost in half since upgrading.  Tonight on treadmill logged 1 mile, charge 3 only registered .44 mile and there was no holding on to the treadmill.  

Best Answer
Which Fitbit did you have before the charge 3?

Hey Fitbit!! Do we have any feedback on this issue?? Did you guys change the programming to be more sensitive to movement so it doesn’t log a ton of steps while I ride my motorcycle and that is why it is less sensitive in a treadmill?? Just looking for some actual feedback from the company themselves...
Best Answer

Most recently the Ulta I had that one for a long time but the bands always ended up breaking so I thought this would be a great upgrade so have since we have a pool.  If counting less than half my miles is an upgrade, think I'll be returning this product asap. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I had a Charge 2 before 'upgrading' to the Charge 3. I like that the Charge
3 is waterproof, but I much rather a proper step count!

Virus-free.
www.avg.com

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>
Best Answer
I suspect that it has something to do with arm movement, so in the pool
might be ok given that you're likely to be using your arms more than I do
when I'm working at my desk while strolling on a treadmill...

Virus-free.
www.avg.com

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>
Best Answer
0 Votes

My Charge 3 was counting steps for at least the last 3-months perfectly until Wednesday (2/13) of last week. I have to violently shake my arm to get it to register even a single step. I have rebooted and even attempted a long boot per customer support, but nothing is fixing this. My Charge 3 has just turned into a clock that tracks how much I sleep instead if how much I walk. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Best Answer
Support should be able to troubleshoot that with you and replace or fix it if they can’t do it over the phone. This string is more about this unit not being as sensitive to counting steps while at a treadmill desk while working fine in other applications.

Thanks,
-Matt
Best Answer

Exact same problem. It was fine until a few days ago and it just puts a random number down periodically. Like 23 then no counting then 97. Yesterday I walked around a museum for over 2 hours. It wasn’t counting and when I got home, that’s when the 97 popped up.

Best Answer

I too am having the same problem with my NEW Charge 3, when on treadmill if my hands are holding onto anything, it will count NO steps, only way it will count is to have hands actually swinging by my side, is there a fix that anyone knows of??????????

Best Answer

I have the same issue after upgrading from the Charge 2 to a Charge 3. My new Charge 3 does not count steps when I’m working at my treadmill desk.  The Charge 2 did count steps while working at my treadmill desk.

Fitbit product managers - Are you listening? Are you going to fix this?  How many potential  customers do you want me to warn away from the Charge 3?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just spent 45 minutes on a CHAT session and was made to go through 3 step tests and a reboot, only to be told that my issue wasn't covered under their replacement warranty.  The first Charge 3 I got in late July I had to return because it actually burned my wrist and it took several weeks to heal.  The replacement they sent me, doesn't count accurately unless I tap the screen with every step.  For the money, this thing really sucks!  Not accurate at all

Best Answer
0 Votes

I see this is an older post.  I wish I would have seen this before "upgrading" to the Charge 3 from my Blaze (which died).  I am having the same problem..  Just spent an hour on hold with customer service and the rep was trying to help me,but we were disconnected and he did not calm back.  I'm frustrated.  It didn't even count half of my steps on the treadmill.  😞

Best Answer
0 Votes
I’ve had to replace mine twice.
It was still the cheapest and best for what I needed. I didn’t want to pay more for what I didn’t need. So far, so good.
It’s been a few months. If it lasts more that a year I’ll consider myself lucky.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
I have found that the only way it counts more accurately is to swing my arm - full swing. It's still missing, but not as much.

Good luck!!
Best Answer
0 Votes
Geez. These things can be a real pain in the wrist.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes
lol - literally 🙂

Kind Regards,
Best Answer
0 Votes