Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 3 step count on elliptical

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My new Charge 3 misses most of the strides when I use it on an elliptical (after choosing the elliptical shortcut from Exercise).  Fewer than a third of the steps are counted.

The elliptical machine counts the strides, recording two for each full cycle. (Left and Right steps)  You can watch the stride count and see that each step is counted, and no extra steps are counted.  If not 100% accurate, it's pretty close.

When the Charge 3 is counting steps, it's at a slower rate than the steps are actually being taken.  It also stops counting steps completely for minutes at a time.  Today, I had to shake my hand a few times every time it stopped to get it to restart the count.

I looked at the "accepted solutions" but they only dealt with distance and stride length, and not why steps are not being counted.

Do I have a defective device, or is the Charge 3 just not good at counting steps on an elliptical.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

Hey there @KeithOK, it's nice to see you around! Thanks for taking the time to visit the Community Forums to find the answer to your inquiry. Nice way to go! 

I was wondering if you're comparing your Charge 3 and the Elliptical machine? 

As you may have read here, Fitbit devices calculate distance by multiplying your walking steps by your walking stride length and multiplying your running steps by your running stride length. We estimate your stride lengths using your height and sex. Track one or more runs using on-board or connected GPS, we evaluate that data to automatically update your running stride length. For best results, run at a comfortable pace for at least 10 minutes.

If you prefer to measure your walking and running stride lengths yourself and enter them manually, see How do I measure and adjust my stride length?

For information about specific conditions see How accurate are Fitbit devices? You can also try restarting your Charge 3 and test it the next couple of days to see how it goes.

Hope this helps, I'll be around if you need further assistance! 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes
I am comparing the Charge 3 and Elliptical machine for number of steps.

It doesn’t’ really matter how the Charge 3 calculates stride length and distance if it misses 70% of the steps. That is why I said the accepted solutions don’t apply - they deal with distance and not with the fact that it is not recording most of the steps.

I can tell the elliptical step count is basically right (i.e., it’s not grossly over or under counting) because I can see the stride count change as I use it. I take two steps and the counter goes up by two. I take ten steps and it goes up by ten. The Charge 3, on the other hand, will go for long periods without recording any steps and other times will obviously be recording fewer steps than I’m taking.

That’s the problem. My Charge 3 does not count steps accurately, and it is not even consistent in its error. Sometimes it counts at a rate that seems close to the actual activity, sometime it is much slower, and sometimes it doesn’t count the steps at all.
Best Answer

Same here, it counts 20% of my steps... 

Best Answer

Same here too 😞

Best Answer

I am having the same issue.  I used the elliptical today and my Versa 2 was able to autotrack that I was on the elliptical for 45 minutes, but it only counted half of my steps (3634 steps when the elliptical tracked over 6700).  Is there a way to solve this without adjusting the stride length?  I don't believe that is the problem.  I just checked some of my older elliptical sessions and it used to be more accurate (5178 steps when it was probably closer to 6000), when I was "running" more slowly.  Is the problem that Fitbit has trouble tracking the faster arm movements on an elliptical?  

Best Answer
0 Votes