Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 4 stuck on download the Fitbit app

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
  • Set up new Charge4 on my phone and it shows it is synced but the screen on the Fitbit is not changing from "download or update the Fitbit app".

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
26 REPLIES 26

Hello Lizzy,

I do not own a cell phone, or an iPad.  I am not sure who at your organization decided that they would no longer support one of the most widely used operating systems on the planet, but they really should have put a bit more thought into that decision.  I got in touch with support after getting your reply.  They informed me that it is indeed possible to set up the Charge 4 on a Windows 10 device, using the Fitbit Connect app.  They did, however state that my device is currently more than 2 firmware versions out of date, which is why it will not function.  They made no promises about timing, but said that the update should be pushed out to my device within a few days.  That means close to 2 weeks of having the tracker before I can even try using it.  😞

I'd strongly suggest someone at Fitbit review your firmware implementation, your device setup process, and your documentation for users setting up a new device.  I've never had such a poor experience with any device before, and honestly still not sure I'll be keeping the Charge 4 because of all the problems I've had.

Best Answer

So, after being told one thing, then another, then the first thing again, I can tell you @gdio53 is correct, the Charge 4 is not possible to set up without using a cell phone.  It only took me 2 1/2 hours on the phone with Fitbit before I got someone to just come out and say it's flat out not possible to set up any other way.  @Restrom, I feel your pain, this entire experience was truly disappointing!  Here is the text of my reply to Fitbit customer service, after finally getting them to admit that I would not be able to use their device without a cell phone:

Hello,

I'm following up to let you know that I will be returning your Fitbit Charge 4 device, and will no longer be buying, or recommending Fitbit products to others, due to the fact that you now require a cell phone to set up any of your devices.  I do not own, and do not have access to a cell phone, and because Fitbit has decided to stop supporting other methods of setting up your devices, you’ve told me by this that you do not value my business.

I'd suggest that you convey this to those that made the decision to stop supporting setup using a PC or a Mac, but I see that many others have already lodged a similar complaint, without any changes being made to address the concern.  It appears you are gambling that you will only lose a "few" customers...  Count me amongst them.

Making this even worse was the fact that I had a horrible customer service experience throughout this, due to your staff being unaware or confused about these limitations, and not versed on assisting with troubleshooting.  No matter how polite they are, they are not set up to truly assist in cases where technical issues are the root cause.

Dismayed,

Craig VanDenBerg

Best Answer

This is such a mess. At the bottom of the FitBit sites SET UP page (https://www.fitbit.com/setup) it says: "Don't have a mobile device available?" Then lists the Mac, Mac 10.5, Winodws 10, PC and Windows XP app download links.

The Windows 10 app goes through all the pairing and setup for a new device. Then will sync with the Charge 4 and give you all the info.

But the dumb Charge 4 display shows an X with a circle for a moment right after pairing and then is forever stuck on the "download the Fitbit app" screen!

Did anyone test any of this?

Not once do I see anything about not being able to set up the device with Windows 10 while YOU ARE SETTING IT UP IN WINDOWS 10!

Why, just why?????

Best Answer

I'm sorry to hear that others are going through this pain!  I spent basically a full month in back and forth with various individuals at FitBit, most of whom just regurgitated the troubleshooting steps already available on their website.  Finally, one person was knowledgeable (and honest) enough to just flat out tell me there is no way to set up the device using a PC running Windows 10.  Since I don't have a cell phone, Mac, or tablet running Android, I basically bought a device that was completely useless to me, and had to return it.  😞  Luckily, Garmin was just rolling out their new Vivoactive 4, so I was able to get a brand new Vivoactive 3 for the same price as the FitBit Charge 4, with basically all the same features.

Best Answer

DITTO. A basic not my problem issue, thanks for paying for the premium service, however they gave me a code for less than $5 off !~

Best Answer

I wonder if you can set up with a PC using the Fitbit dongle?

I know they stopped including the dongles with Fitbit devices some time ago, but I ended up with two of them from previous devices.  I currently have one plugged into my PC and one into my laptop, and I think another I apparently left in my mum’s PC when I visited, I think I said she can have that one. I noticed they are available on Aliexpress for a few dollars, so might be worth a try.  I don’t know how it would connect otherwise.  I’ve never had a Fitbit device connect through the charging cable as far as I can remember.  However I’ve been setting them up through my smartphones for a wee while now, although I did set up some previous devices using a PC, then synch them using my dongle plugged into the PC.  If you can go through all the motions of settling it up, then it would seem you can in fact do it.  But maybe it’s advanced knowledge that was lost by the twentieth restructure of Fitbit company.  Who knows? Maybe that’s why you got told you couldn’t do it, then that you could, then that you can’t again.  I just know at my last workplace, most users of the computer system had only a superficial knowledge of its functions, but were expected to provide support over the phone anyway.  But I had an enquiring mind, so i used to experiment and work out how to do things for myself, and would ask questions of those who did know.  I used to get asked all the time by my colleagues how do I do this?  And generally I was able to answer.  If I didn’t know, I would make it my business to find out.  So anyway, what I was trying to say, was it’s likely possible it’s just most of the staff don’t actually know, but most people don’t generally like to admit that they don’t know something, especially when they feel their job may be on the line.  So they’ll flub, they’ll make up something, or they’ll state that you can’t do it, and if they sound convincing you believe them.

If I were you @Tanquen , I would spend a few dollars to get a dongle and try it.

Best Answer

Thank you Petitmiam for the suggestion.  In my case, as this was over a year ago, it will not help.  However, at the time I did attempt this using a dongle from my Fitbit Alta, and was likewise unsuccessful.  Fitbit has apparently made their decision not to support setting up their devices with desktop computers, so I've moved on.

Best Answer