Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elliptical stats are wrong

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I just got my Fitbit last week and I am new to it but it seems to be tracking my running activities very well. I used it for the first while using an Elliptical and was very disappointed with the results. The Elliptical itself measures distance and calculates a calorie burn and although the Fitbit should calculate calorie burn better the distance is so far off. On the Elliptical I went 4.4 miles in 40 minutes but the Fitbit only measured 1.65 miles. Nowhere close. Could I be doing something wrong? There doesn't seem to be anyway to edit it either.

Best Answer
44 REPLIES 44
That was my exact opinion when I started this chain about a year ago. I switched to a Garmin a while after that and sold my Charge2 a couple of months ago. The Garmin has no ability to measure distance for Ellipticals either but they don’t have a setting for it either like the Charge2 has. That part is unfair. If you are an owner of a Charge2 you have to accept the fact it doesn’t work for an Elliptical even though the company advertises that it does and there are a couple of people who have claimed it works with no problem. It doesn’t. You have to consider the other values of the Charge2 like heart rate and calorie burn are most likely accurate. If you want to keep an accurate account of your distance you should record it from the elliptical and enter it in manually as a new event. Make sure you know the start time and duration so you can enter that at the same time. The good thing about the Charge2 is that it will map your heart against that activity when you review the results. For me that is a true benefit that others can’t do. This will also work with other activities. When I ran on hills I used MapMyRun so I could get the elevation gain and you can link it to your Charge2.

I am just saying there are other benefits you should consider.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I was wondering why can't the fitbit dashboard accept input about the elliptical distance? Referring to the place that you can enter activity. It would work like override. This should be something that the fitbit company should work on developing. Just a practical/serious thought. Seems to be an easy fix; especially since a lot of people, especially those of us who use the elliptical. Winter time in the northeast makes ellipticals an especially great choice option!  

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner your tracker can auto detect elliptical without the user doing anything. Some people prefer manually starting the recording. 

So why does it have it. First so the user knows they where doing this exercise. Second so Fitbit knows how to handle the data and give proper credit for calories. . 

Best Answer
0 Votes
But if it’s not tracking correctly there’s no point. My $1500 Nordictrac with chest monitor and with my height, weight and age input tells me the calories burned and distance traveled, I’ll believe it over a $150 wrist band. We are just going around in circles here. I will take this up with Fitbit corporate instead. Thank you for your time.
Best Answer

Do to limitations of e location of the tracker on relation to the pinning wheel, it will be impossible for Fitbit to determine your Norditrracks made up distance, based on the size of the wheel and the gear ratio I between pedals and wheel. I say made up because the person and the machine never moved an inch. Only a wheel spun near the feet. 

When you say it is not accurate. What is the heart rate, calories probably will not match perfectly since every company has their own secret math formula. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi! I really do appreciate all of the other benefits. At this point in my "older" years...distance is my motivator. Thank you for responding. 

Best Answer

Hi! Thank you for responding. Maybe if everyone complains to Fitbit corporation they will positively respond to this issue? 

Best Answer

Why isn't there simply an option to update the distance with the info from the elliptical.

That at least would mitigate the issue.

Best Answer

Same problem with treadmill

shows 1.50 miles every time I walk 30 minutes

never the correct distance on my fitbit

what is going on?

Best Answer

@enyfeo simply because this is not available with any exercise. Why not vote for the suggestion. 

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Have-the-Ability-To-Edit-Exercises/idi-p/574994

Best Answer
0 Votes
It appears that 850+ people have voted for this suggestion over three years
and nothing has happened.

Carla
Best Answer
i will not die because of the lack of proper calculations. Seems like with so many folks having problems with calculations that headquarters would fix it. Not brain surgery.
Best Answer
0 Votes

wrote:
It appears that 850+ people have voted for this suggestion over three years
and nothing has happened.

Carla

It was more like a few people voting for many  desperate but same suggestions, then last month they where merged. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes, no one is dying, but incorrect info is a good as none so why bother
to log exercises if its all wrong?
Best Answer
You are 100% correct. It would add to the Fitbit collection to have correct data on the treadmill and other work out devices. I work weights 3 times a week. I don’t know if I get accurate data from a weight lifting exercises.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

The point is, that it is NOT accurately determining the miles, steps, calories, and often in my case, it doesn't even always recognize the activity, even when my arms are on the handles.  It should allow for entry of the accurate data as a work around.  Hard to keep accurate stats of activity otherwise!

Best Answer

Many are upset that Fitbit even records steps for this non stepping activity.

As for distance it is kind of hard to measure when the wearer is standing still. That is why Fitbit uses time and heart rate to determine calories.

Steps as distance isn't used

Best Answer
0 Votes
I'm sorry, your reply doesn't make sense. The fitbit is advertised to
track elliptical exercise and it doesn't do it accurately. It is similar
to walking on a treadmill so I am definitely involved in a stepping
activity! It would be nice if Fitbit worked on a solution instead of
giving excuses on why it doesn't work. I'm old enough to remember when
people working in customer service actually tried to resolve issues.
Best Answer
It is called “False Advertising “. These people who answer your question are getting paid by fit bit so they provide a garbage response. This issue has been there for years and the same false information continues to come this company and these people. They don’t care because their business is too big to worry about it. I gave up a long time ago arguing this point and just switched devices...not that any other one is any more accurate. At least there is no false advertisement regarding them.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

i don’t understand why there is no option to add/edit distance for elliptical workout like there is for all the others? wouldn’t this simply fix the problem we are all having? i edit all of my run/treadmill distances to be accurate to what i actually ran in case it is ever off by just a  little, so why not on elliptical

Best Answer