Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fishing mode/ repetitive motion

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I posted this in the Alta forum in response to another user, but figured I would start a topic here.

I walk the shore for striped bass and would like see my miles walked and heart rate information when I catch fish. Today was the first time I wore my charge 4 and I noticed after an hour of standing still I had hit my 10K steps. I wear my Fitbit on my reel cranking arm, so this is no surprise.  Other than switching wrists, does anyone have any better way to log a fishing exercise (or any exercise) with significant repetitive motion? 

Seems like it would not be too difficult to have a fishing mode, or repetitive motion mode that looks for if there is any GPS movement associated with the repetitive motion. If there is, then count it as steps. If there is little to no GPS motion detected, then don't count the steps.

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Alta/Tracking-steps-while-salmon-fishing/m-p/4279412/highlight/true#...

Best Answer
6 REPLIES 6

Not an ideal solution but if you are most interested in steps, you could put in pocket and get better step count, but lost heart rate data during that time.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Heart rate is more important to me than steps. I could just switch to my other arm, but I personally don't like to wear a watch on my dominant arm

Best Answer
0 Votes

Perhaps you could put it on your ankle?

Good luck telling the time though. 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Actually I thought about my ankle. It is an option. I don't really care about telling time when I'm fishing... That's what the sun is for 😁

Best Answer

Thanks for your post!

Just sharing! I wear my Fitbit on my reel cranking arm and it makes me feel I'm cheating because I can easily reach 2000 steps in a few hours.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Oddly enough it seems u can enter “fishing” as an “activity” manually. Go to the Fitbit app, scroll down to the exercise window and hit the plus sign. Then hit the log tab and search for “fishing”. This will give u a window that asks for your start time and duration of fishing. The resulting window of activity time is then used by the Fitbit to adjust its calorie burn calculation, typically resulting in an increased calorie burn based on concentration and other things the Fitbit calorie burn calculator takes into account. I happened across this while investigating the Fitbit adjustment for extended driving which uses info entered for driving to actually reduce the step count, but increase the calorie burn number during the time u enter that u were driving. I both drive long distances and fish for hours at a time. Fortunately, I don’t do both at the same time. 

Best Answer