Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Charge 3 way too many stairs

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Going on a bus ride for a backpacking trip I gained 130 stairs climbed, I don’t know why the Charge 3 is so sensitive towards stairs climbed but was looking for a solution.

Moderator edit: subject format

Best Answer
38 REPLIES 38

@WDiamantoni Welcome to our Fitbit Community! I'm sorry to hear that your Charge 3 tracked many stairs whiled you were riding a bus. Please take a look at this help article so you can learn to negate or delete those stairs since your tracker may count steps or stairs due to bumpy roads.

Hope this helps and let me know if you need further assistance! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Charge 3 logs stairs throughout the day when ever it feels like it, as many as 20 flights. I shouldn't have to go in and edit a log to make it right. Is this  a poor design that I am expected to live with or should I keep returning them until I get a unit that functions as advertised?

Best Answer

@reddawn_bg Thank you for joining us in this thread and our Fitbit Community! Let me go ahead and find a solution for the stairs tracking issue that your Charge 3 is experiencing. I understand that negating or editing this information is something frustrating to do. Does your tracker count stairs when you ride a vehicle or does it do it when you're not even moving?

In the meantime, I'd like you to restart your Charge 3 as described in this help article. After this, monitor your tracker and see if the issue gets fixed.

Keep me posted on the outcome! Smiley Happy

Best Answer

That solution DOES NOT WORK. This is my 2nd one and it keeps doing the same thing. It has me at  70 floors today after a 2.5 hour workout that included  74 minutes on an Elliptical. Friday it told me I had 39 floors at work when I had not used the staircase at all that day. This unit has a great many problems and I should be compensated for my time and patience.  I have owned 3 watches of various models and was satisfied until now..

Best Answer

My charge 3 said I walked 40 stairs today and didnt even go up 1 step at all today! 

Best Answer

@hmthrman It's great to see you in our Fitbit Community and welcome aboard @sinfulshae ! I'm sorry for the late response. However, I would like to follow up on the floors accuracy issue that your Charge 3 trackers are experiencing.

If you guys haven't done so, please restart your trackers as advised in this help article. This will refresh your trackers internally. After this, make sure that your Charge 3 trackers are not being worn too tight and monitor them during the next 48 hours and see if the issue gets fixed.

Let me know how it goes! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

I climb about 6 flights a day. My Charge 2 was very accurate. My new Charge 3 gave me 90 floors today and looking for at the time of day most were registered while walking on flat ground in Florida. I have just reset it per earlier info provided. Just wondering if this is the permanent fix or is there a new SW update coming?  Also, please let us know if Calories Burned take these inaccurate  stairs into account... thank you

@JuanJoFitbit wrote:

@hmthrman It's great to see you in our Fitbit Community and welcome aboard @sinfulshae ! I'm sorry for the late response. However, I would like to follow up on the floors accuracy issue that your Charge 3 trackers are experiencing.

If you guys haven't done so, please restart your trackers as advised in this help article. This will refresh your trackers internally. After this, make sure that your Charge 3 trackers are not being worn too tight and monitor them during the next 48 hours and see if the issue gets fixed.

Let me know how it goes! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
I have done this for the 4TH time and it has resolved "NOTHING". I am
taking it back (2nd time) and getting a Samsung product instead. It's too
bad you didn't ever consider doing a recall on the product and offer a new
updated version that resolves the issue or offers an upgrade.

Avery DISAPPOINTED CUSTOMER, Michael S. Myers
Best Answer

The same thing is happening to me and my daughter. I gained 60 flight today and only actually did 2. Any time I get in the car the steps rise at a fast rate. My charge 2 never did this. What is happening to rectify this?

What is happening to rectify the problems with counting stairs not climbed and clocking up steps when not even walking?

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

I have the same problem but at least it's not counting into the 60s etc. like with other people but it's counting way too many stairs. I couldn't figure it out yesterday but now I know it's probably counting stairs when I'm taking an elevator or when I'm driving. Strange glitch.

Best Answer
Yes, I agree; it just seems a little disingenuous that they have some paid
techs that cruise this blog to unarm concerns about their products with
unreal solutions that may or may NOT work. They know that the problem is
the product themselves, and would save them a whole bunch of time and money
to just offer up an upgraded replacement and ask for the old product in
return so that they may refurbish it for resale at a reduced rate. I don't
know I guess I care too much about the customers I serve daily, Mike M
Best Answer

Yes, I just want a new one that actually works. It’s pointless doing any challenges with other people now. Come on Fitbit - do something about this !

Best Answer

I have had 2 fit bits before getting the Charge3. They have been very accurate. But since getting they charge 3 I have noticed many added flights of stairs. I live in Florida which is very flat. I live in a ranch home with 1 stair. I usually get 1 or 2 flights a week. Now I get over 300 flights a week. I usually don’t care about flights till I go on hiking trip. I enjoy seeing all the flights I walk on a hike. I have had one already replaced and it still is doing it. I wear it loosely, my wrist is not too sweaty, I have rebooted it. My height and step gap is correct. I like the size and look so I prefer not to switch.

Best Answer

Not only am I getting stairs counted during the day, that I didn't do, but I'm apparently doing stairs in my sleep. How can I fix this? Restarted Fitbit yesterday and it said I did stairs in my sleep, it has never done this before.

Best Answer

same issue. Tracks too many steps and also tracks too many stairs.

Best Answer

So I downloaded the latest firmware and reset my Charge 3 This did not improve the ridiculously inaccurate stair count. 

What impact does the stair count have on my calories burned?  Is the Charge 3 logging more calories burned based on the wildly inaccurate stair count? 

How can I disable the stair count in firmware?  Give me the option to turn a useless feature off. 

Editing my activity to show that I’m driving to mask the stair count is not manageable and is a hack solution. 

You need to to fix this 

Best Answer

I am having the same issue. My charge 3 logged 90 flights of stairs today. IRL, I may have done 10 or 12. Please tell me they are working on a solution for thia. This is a recurring issue with this device, and resetting does nothing to help.

Best Answer

I have the same problem - Charge 3 is counting way too many stairs. I went up 6  flights of stairs today, yet the device says I did 58. I was walking around a theme park all day, the steps seem to be pretty accurate. I cannot just edit the stairs to be a different exercise like "driving" to fix it. I will attempt a re-start, not thinking it will work. Your software engineers NEED to work a different algorithm and put out an update to the firmware.

Best Answer

As you can see from the thread, it's ongoing. Are you actually going to do something to solve this issue? I've done 22 floors today while in fact I've only done 4 or 5. It also must add to the calories burnt so even this is a wrong statistic.

Also, I have another issue which is very odd. In the 250 steps per hour, the stats keep on disappearing from the previous days. Every time I click on the window, it only shows today but all the rest of the days are 0. Then when I go out of it and back in, all the days are back.

This Charge 3 has so many glitches, it's very annoying so please can you do something about it?

Thank you.

Best Answer