Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbits consistently breaking.. what to do?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello

My Fiancée and I both use and love our Fitbits.  I got my Charge in April '15 she got her Charge HR in May '15.  Despite living the product, their durability is substandard.  With my Charge, it had to be replaced twice in the first year, and again slightly after.  The first two times Fitbit sent me two replacements for free.  The third time they gave me a 20% off coupon and made me purchase a new one ( I upgraded to an HR )

My Fiancée also needed hers replaced in the first year of having it (which they did so for free) but of course it's gone bad, and now she has to buy a new one.  We know several other people who have also had fitbits, had them replaced in the first year, and then given up and moved on to another devise.  We are unsure if we should purchase her a new one or if we would simply be buying a unit that we know will go bad several times until we are forced to pay again.  It seems like a waste of money at this point. Has

anyone had better luck with their durability or is this typical, and is fitbits lack of concern over their units having frequent repeated defects typical?

Best Answer
44 REPLIES 44
This company has turned to absolute garbage so very quickly in the past few years. It obviously and unfortunately, makes business sense for them to produce their products to break down ASAP... conveniently right outside of their warranty. That’s capitalism for you. Do your friends a service and steer them as far away from Fitbit as possible. Return the care and concern they have given us and push them towards that light in the darkness... ie, let em die! They deserve it.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I love the interface and functionality. But I'm now on my sixth device I believe since 2017, and it just broke. The screen doesn't turn on. I know the tracker itself is still working because it syncs to my phone. But no screen. No damage to screen. So frustratin . 

Best Answer

Yup, this stuff is bad - completely unreliable. 

I think the longest one has lasted has been about a year. Like you, I bought one and got a replacement sent every time it broke (I think it was three times). Then I bought another one, and had it replaced. The last time it broke, in April, I bought a new one, thinking it might last longer  than the refurbished ones they were sending me as replacements. Well, guess what just broke! 

The joke is that I love the device and the app. Just not the reliability! Would love to hear from anyone out there who has found a good alternative.

Moderator edit: word choice

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have had the charge II and the charge III. I love them while they last but they only last they last about 1-1 1/2 years.  I don't want to have to buy a replacement every year. I'm looking for a replacement, any brand suggestions?

Best Answer
0 Votes

The fitbit hardware is notoriously unreliable.  I first purchased a versa Jun 2018, it broke May 2019, and i got a replacement.  The replacement broke just this month.  Pretty much one watch can only last one year.  I can't keep paying the fitbit tax, not sure if i want to get another fitbit watch just for it to break in one year's time.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It is ridiculous. It interferes with my tracking so its pretty inconvenient. I'm now being asked to spend time don't tests to confirm that my fitbit is broken!! Extremely disappointed. Can anyone recommend a good alternative? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Be glad you are getting 1 1/2 years of service. I am 2 years in and they are now replacing my 3rd Fitbit. It's crazy!  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I hate this, I have had a fitbit versa II and it broke. They replaced it but then after 1 month that broke as well. So I got a ionic and that only lasted 1 year and 1 day. Litterly on the second day of my using it for one year the accellorometer broke, and now it doesn't work (it gave me 10000000 steps at the end of the day). 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Oh no, They all break in about a year.  Not buying any more. poo

Moderator edit: word choice

Best Answer
0 Votes

Similar issue to me. First versa broke and they sent a replacement. Second one now has an issue with heart rate monitor and they are telling me it is out of warranty and offering to a discount on a new purchase.  Cannot say i will be continuing on with Fitbit as they do not seem to be made to last.

Disappointing as I love mine, but can not see how I could invest money in another one of their products if they are just made to break. 

Best Answer
I switched to Apple, so far much happier. I went through 4 fitbits in 2
years.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I think I am on my 4th versa in two years and my last won't turn on again.  Does anyone have a non-apple suggestion for a fitness tracker?  I am thinking about a garmin.  Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have had a similar issue, I had my Fitbit replaced in September for draining charge suddenly after a year and a half of use (which, reading all the replies seems like a good run!) it went from being able to hold charge for about 4/5 days to 1 day. Fitbit sent a replacement swiftly which I was impressed with, but less than 5 months later the screen suddenly started glitching out, to the point where I can't read anything on it. They won't replace it as the original product is now out of warranty (despite this being a brand new replacement) and have instead offered 30% off a new product. I can totally understand this legally, however I am disappointed in the lack of understanding from customer services. When I queried if there was any scope to replace it since it is a brand new replacement and it has broken through no fault of my own, I didn't even receive a response. I eventually was told to call a customer service number after reaching out again. I am a bit tentative to spend a couple of hundred pounds on a new watch that will probably only last another year or two.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had a VERY similar experience to yours.  Fitbit gladly replaced 3 of mine because they stopped working within a short period of time.  Which I was happy about at the time, but they just kept breaking (not holding a charge, screen goes dead, glitchy, etc.).  I just bought a Garmin vivoactive 4 and have been really happy with it.    Great features and easy to read.  

Best Answer
Yeah. I ended up buying another which lasted about 2 years. Now I have an
Apple Watch. I think the Fitbit is actually a better watch and better
software but for the lack of longevity, it’s just not worth it.
Best Answer
0 Votes

My Versa 2 was replaced under warranty 3 months ago and already stopped working yesterday. I love my Fit Bit but seriously considering switching to another product due to reliability. This will Be my second time this year without a watch as Fitbit does not cross ship.

Best Answer

Absolutely! We have gone through:

Me: 1 charge, 1 versa, 1 versa 2  (this just broke)

Wifey: 1 charge (currently on her 2nd)

They seem to last about 1-2 years. It's almost as though it's by design! This is ridiculous! I hate apple products, but I am literally going to go buy an iphone and apple watch b/c fitbit can't make a quality product! This is CRAZY!!! I've been an android user for yeras and never ditched them, but love fitness too much! I even use the app (Which can also use some work, but is tolerable). I used to LOOOVE the whole setup on fitbit.

To the Apple store tomorrow!

Best Answer
I just sent my Versa 2 back to Fit Bit after 5 months of use. The previous one lasted 11 months. The warranty replacement takes weeks which means weeks without a Fit Bit. I am also considering an Apple Watch.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I've tried giving the company the benefit of doubt because their product interface and features are great. However, I've had two Fitbits break within a week of their warranty expiring. Both times the issue was with the software. When searching forums for answers, Fitbit's answer is always that they're aware of the issue and actively working to fix it. That was over 4 years ago. They're being intentionally negligent by either not fixing the devices, or not pulling them from the market. 

Please don't buy any more of their products. On every forum I've read, Fitbit is only willing to go so far for it's faulty products and make customers pay endlessly for new devices. At the end of the day you're really paying for a $100+ annual subscription instead of a lasting product. 

Best Answer
My Fitbit Versa failed after 8 months or so and was replaced under warranty. The replacement lasted 2 months and was again replaced. The replacement process is unsatisfactory. They do not cross ship or send out once all trouble shooting has been completed with phone tech. Both times it was a 3-4 weeks that I was without a watch. Next time it fails I’m buying an Apple Watch.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer