Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HR not working with tattoos.

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

HR works perfect on the Charge 2. Got the charge 3 today and it is glitching bad. Sometimes it will work but most of the time I get no reading. I hate it but I have to go back to my Charge 2. Hopefully FitBit comes up with something. I’m hearing this is also a issue on the Versa. 

Best Answer
39 REPLIES 39

Tattoos on both wrists?  If not, have you tried it other wrist, even if not where you want to wear it, just to verify tattoos are the difference?

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer

How could that even be possible? I have tattoos and I’ve never noticed this. How could a tiny amount of ink that has essentially been dyed into your skin change your readings? That’s almost like saying different ethnicities would get different readings. You sound paranoid tbh. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@YoopyDoopy69 wrote:

How could that even be possible? I have tattoos and I’ve never noticed this. You sound paranoid tbh. 

Although the sensor is optical so it's definitely in the realm of possibility. What crosses my mind is that some inks contain metal.

I would make sure by making someone else wear it who doesn't have tattoos on their arms to rule out that it may just be broken.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having the same problem, HR wont work on my dominant left wrist because of my tattoo (full sleeve) but it works fine on my right wrist. My Charge 2 works fine with my tattoo. I don't understand why the Charge 3 HR won't work ... 

Best Answer

@YoopyDoopy69 wrote:

How could that even be possible? I have tattoos and I’ve never noticed this. How could a tiny amount of ink that has essentially been dyed into your skin change your readings? That’s almost like saying different ethnicities would get different readings. You sound paranoid tbh. 

I disagree.  That is quite possible. This is not like a chest strap detecting electrical signals.  It is optical, emitting and detecting certain wavelength of light.  There are many factors that can affect this, including skin tone, hair, etc.  Maybe the color of the ink is a factor.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer
Apparently it's a thing. Having the same problem and done some research into it. In all my time at having a Fitbit I've not had any problem until I bought the Charge 3. 😶

Get Outlook for Android
Best Answer

@YoopyDoopy69 wrote:

Don't call people paranoid please, that's uncalled for. 

Several people with dark skin have indeed reported that their fitbit doesn't work on the darker side of their wrists. It has to do with green light HR tracking.
https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Charge-HR/Fitbit-not-reading-heart-rate-on-dark-skin/td-p/1375072

Best Answer

Yes full sleeves both arms. Will not work on my left or right. Will work fine on my wife. Went back to the Charge 2 no issues.

if you look at the Charge 2 they are two green lights vs. one on the Charge 3. I’m “guessing” they went with one sensor that’s not as accurate as two to make room for other sensors. 

Best Answer

I am having the same issue, in fact I only found this discussion after googling what I had discovered. I preordered the Charge 3 months ago and received it the second week of October. Could not get the HR sensor to take a reading, it never worked so after several days of troubleshooting customer service set me up for a replacement which was frustrating and took forever. I was already upset that I paid for faster shipping on the first one but they snail mailed the replacement so now it’s the end of October and I got the replacement yeaterday. I had no trouble setting it up, but when I put it on, STILL no HR reading. Since I had already been through all the troubleshooting steps before, I tried them again on the new device with no luck. I began racking my brain for things I had not thought of. That’s when I placed the charge 3 on a small, non-tattooed spot on my upper arm. BOOM. I got a reading. Then tried spots on the palm of my hand, fingertips and other random non-tattooed spots and in fact it does work ! While this is good news, and I suppose neither device was actually ‘defective’, it’s not good for me because I am heavily tattooed and cannot get a reading on either wrist. IF it was simply the heart rate I might not care, but seeing how this is the way it monitors your sleep patterns and other activity levels, this is a major problem. It did in fact lead me to wonder if darker skinned ethnicities were experiencing the issue. I have a very labor-intensive job and having a Fitbit makes the exercise more interesting and rewarding, so I was elated to find out they were releasing a waterproof device so I don’t have to remove it every time I wash my hands at work. I previously owned the Alta HR and NEVER had an issue with the sensor, and from what I understand it’s the same technology, so I can only assume it has something to do with the new waterproof design, especially if this is also and issue with the versa, because if I’m not mistaken it is also waterproof... Either way this whole experience has been frustrating to no end and I wish Fitbit would speak up about these issues and make this right for customers who have been through hoops only to discover the real problem by themselves. I can tell you this, if the folks over at Fitbit do not have a solution that makes me happy I’ll be returning this second device and I will never shop Fitbit again. Fingers crossed that there is some kind of a solution. Emailing customer service shortly, I’m planning on shooting a short video to attach that will backup this tattoo situation.

Best Answer

Update: I returned the charge 3 and received my full refund, thankfully with less trouble than this ordeal had previously presented. I did a TON of research and ultimately purchased a Garmin Vivoactive 3 and I am SUPER pleased with it. I’m sure the charge 3 works great for some, but not worth the $ to me. I got my garmin refurbished for basically the same $ spent on the charge 3. Garmin know what’s up and their devices seem light years ahead as far as functionality and accuracy. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

The HR senors in the Charge 3 (as well as Versa and Ionic) are upgraded from previous devices, so this might be why older Fitbit devices worked, but now they do not with your tattoos. 

I'm sorry for all your troubles, that does sound frustrating, but glad you found another device that will work for you.

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer
Yeah I have to wear it on my non dominant wrist. However, the whole Charge 3 is flawed, it has not recorded my sleep patterns for nearly a week and that's when can get the thing to sync, another battle.

I truly wish that I never bought it.

Thanks for the response 😊

Get Outlook for Android
Best Answer
0 Votes
Maybe it's time I do so myself ...

Get Outlook for Android
Best Answer
0 Votes
I've totally given up with the Charge 3 and will be getting a refund for it, will just buy myself another Charge 2. I never had any issues with that at all. I will also never rush to buy an upgraded piece of tech again. Lesson learnt.

Get Outlook for Android
Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m having exactly the same problem. Charge 2 worked fine over tattoo, Charge 3 won’t at all. Fitbit’s solution is to wear it on my other wrist! This is a Fitbit problem not the wearer and warrants a product recall until it is fixed and suitable for ALL wearers, not just the All American Caucasian this product was obviously tested on and designed for. How on earth can they sell a product that excludes darker skin pigmentation and get away with it. 

Best Answer
I took the Charge 3 back to the shop and bought myself another Charge 2. Learned a valuable lesson. Not all tech is better tech.

Get Outlook for Android
Best Answer
0 Votes
I only wanted the 3 for its waterproofness - is that a word?! I’m sticking with my 2 and confess the same lesson learned! Fitbit really ought to be upfront and say the 3 is not suitable if you are a person of colour or have tattoos where you want to wear it. I’ve just watched the advert for the 3 again and no surprise, there are no people of colour in it! Shameful coverup.
Best Answer
Yup, when I spoke to their customer services not one would admit to it being an issue. I was also told to wear it on my opposite wrist. I was also plagued with other software issues such as it wasn't recording my sleep so I gave up and went back to the Charge 2. I also liked the waterproof aspect. The info regarding it not working on tattoos or darker skin colour I found online through forums like this one. It is all a big sham from Fitbit.

Get Outlook for Android
Best Answer
0 Votes
100% agree. I too tried to wear it on my right wrist rather than admit defeat, but it gave me an average of 10,000 steps extra a day. It seemed to pick up every movement of my dominant arm. And yes I did alter the handed-ness so there was really no excuse. It’s such a shame because I was starting to really like it, but for me it was just a useless, unreliable bit of technology. So I’ve deleted it from my account and reinstated my old faithful 2. Shame on Fitbit for their underhandedness and failure to step up and admit their fault. The sad thing is we’re both still wearing their product so they’ve won either way!
Best Answer
0 Votes