Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HR not working with tattoos.

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

HR works perfect on the Charge 2. Got the charge 3 today and it is glitching bad. Sometimes it will work but most of the time I get no reading. I hate it but I have to go back to my Charge 2. Hopefully FitBit comes up with something. I’m hearing this is also a issue on the Versa. 

Best Answer
39 REPLIES 39

He’s not paranoid, it doesn’t work with tattoos. I have a full sleeve, and I can only get HR readings when I put my Versa on my left arm that has no ink. 

Best Answer

I’ve had the same problem with Charge 3 not working on my tattoo, swapped it to other wrist without ink and works fine. 

Move also found that these work well if you stick one over the back of sensor then it’ll work on tattooed skin no matter what colour, my Dad works for Apple and a lot of people had the same problem with the watches on ink, he is completely sleeved up and uses these too which somehow make it detectable through tattoos 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-Round-Oval-or-Square-Clear-Epoxy-Resin-Clear-Self-Adhesive-Cabochon-...

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just received the charge 3 and was really excited but immediately noticed a difference in the heart rate reading from sporadic in light and much higher, and receiving a steady and normal reading in the dark.... I attempted adjusting the tightness and it did not seem to change the issue, this may be way off base, but could freckles cause an issue with the readings? I’m pretty pasty with some serious freckles (I’ve heard an endless supply of connect the dot jokes and counting freckles instead of sheep to fall asleep...yay me...) and I do have a tattoo, but I s on the inside of my arm and not where the sensors are..so maybe freckles mess it up and change how it reflects the light back

Best Answer
0 Votes
Its definitely due to the new sensors not being able to penetrate the skin because the ink from the tattoo blocks it. Also to do with it skin pigment too. People with black skin seem to have issues as well.

I got rid of the Charge 3 ages ago and went back to the Charge 2. No issues at all.

John

Get Outlook for Android
Best Answer
0 Votes

Ive experienced exactly the same. I had a Samsung S3 Frontier - most of the time couldn't find a pulse. Switched to an Inspire HR and it's been great. I decided to "upgrade" to the Charge 3. Wish I hadn't as it's even worse at reading my heartrate than the Samsung was and now I've got to try and return it through Amazon. Always fun.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Aye, I got rid and went back to the charge 2.

Get Outlook for Android
Best Answer
0 Votes

I actually solved this issue with the sticky patches I mentioned before from eBay, charge 3 works perfectly now over heavy ink I have, was annoying though! They should have left two sensors as the charge 2 has and not reduced to one. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I tried the sticky patches with the Samsung S3. Whilst it made it better, it still failed to read my heart-rate more often than not. I've sent the Charge 3 back and I'll stick with my Inspire HR for now. Bizarrely, the Inspire HR only has one green LED but functions perfectly.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yeah I tried that option with the sticky patches but for me it did not work 😞

Get Outlook for Android
Best Answer
0 Votes

I just got a charge 3 and have the same issue. Almost took it back but then read about this issue. It won’t track my HR or sleep. I have black/gray sleeves on both arms so switching arms didn’t help. Finally was able to get a reading by wearing it on the inside of the wrist (not the way it’s supposed to be worn)  because my ink is lighter there (and I’m a girl so I guess I can pull off that look). Feels weird though. Gonna try and get the stickers I saw posted about and see if they work. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Seems to be the case with me as well. My left arm is sleeved and the Fitbit won’t read my heart rate. I have a small portion of un-inked skin on my right wrist and it reads my heart rate just fine. Seems to be a legit conclusion. Tattoos effect the fit bits. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just bought the Versa 2 after having no issues with the Charge 2. HR wasn’t reading on my left wrist (sleeves and hand tattooed). After deleting the app, turning the Versa and off 30 times and then a factory reset with no luck, I put it on my right wrist which I planned on getting fillers done this year and Voila! Heart rate showed up and it was through the roof cause I was so heated. Wife tried it on both her wrists and it worked perfectly fine. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I got my Fitbit a few weeks ago and was about to send it back because no matter how many times I’ve turned it off or re set it, the heart rate was not working.  I just moved it to the wrist with no tattoos and now it’s working perfectly 🤷🏻‍:female_sign: 

Best Answer
0 Votes

yes! They need to fix this asap!  My old Alta HR worked great.  It finally died so I went through THREE different Charge 3s trying to get it to work,  had to return.  Now i don't know what to get to replace it with and I'm addicted to my tracker.  I need something but am scared to gamble on something else.  

Best Answer
0 Votes
I had to just put it on my right wrist instead, it’s not so bad, I just had to get used to it!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Very possible. I am right handed with a full tattoo sleeve on my left arm. My Charge 2 works great with no issues on either wrist. I upgraded to a Charge 3 when it came out and immediately had issues with consistent HR tracking when wearing on my left arm/wrist which is heavily tattooed, but it works perfectly on my right arm/wrist. I later switched to Apple Watch (newest/current version) and had the same issues. An obvious solution is to simply wear the devices on my right arm/wrist which isn't a huge pain, just a minor adjustment at first. Being right handed and an artist sometimes having the device on that arm can be slightly annoying, but not a huge deal to be honest. Ultimately, I've given up on Apple and newer Fitbits and just just my Charge 2 on my left arm.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same here. I wish this could be addressed and fixed in the newer versions. I don't understand why an older technology/version would work better than the newer. Sort of leads me to wonder if it's actually working in the first place... It seems to though based on other tests and comparissons.

Same here.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the charge 2

and 2 full sleeves works perfect .. my wife 2 sleeves

.. wont work on left.. because there is a darker tattoo where the fitbit is..

Best Answer
0 Votes

They most certainly are not being paranoid, I have had the Fitbit charge 4, Fitbit charge 5, and now the Fitbit sense 2, and each one will not work on my right wrist, which has tattoos, however, it seems to be the case for only black tattoos, which is where you may be finding your confusion. I had looked this up previously, and there are some solutions such as buying dome shaped little stickers that amplify the infrared lights. And that is where the issue lies – the senses are emitting light into your veins, and if black ink is in the way, then it’s going to cause an issue and insinuating paranoia of another member is not the nicest of things when that person is asking for help or a solution. @JGoodpaster 

Best Answer
0 Votes

This I agree with and commmenred similarly. I have the same as you and I have black tattoos on my right wrist, so I have to wear on my left wrist which is Tattoo free. Calling aomebofy paranoid is degrading, condescending and invalidating when all you need to do is Google it to see thousands of the same entry! The wrist emits lights to your veins which would make it impossible at worse to get a reading. (The frustration aimed at the poster not you) 

Best Answer
0 Votes