Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone experienced feeling dizzy and woozy wearing the Charge HR?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I bought the HR for my father as he wanted to monitor his heart rate. He's been feeling very dizzy and woozy since wearing it.

He's had a triple heart bypass (but that was 8 years ago) and he wondered if it was affecting him somehow. When he stopped wearing it, he was fine again.

Has anyone else had this?

Best Answer
32 REPLIES 32

It is going to be one of three things: due to the device on its own, due to the electrical signal from the device, due to the wristband or due to a placebo.   If you really want to isolate this effect then approach it like a scientist would and spend a little time and really isolate the effects.  Here is how.  (I've written this quickly so hopefully I've covered everything).  

As a scientist, I would first test if he gets the same effects if the fitbit is put on the other wrist and if he gets the effects if he puts it on his ankles (I'd call that test 0).   I'd call this test 0 because it may solve your situation but whether it does or doesn't the interesting reasons for what is causing it still need exploring.   These are done by the following tests. 

Test 1, run the fitbit down so that it is out of charge then put it back on your dad (original wrist) and don't tell him that it is chargeless and see if he experiences the same effects.   Tell him not to touch it or look at the face (maybe cover the screen if you can ideally) or it may mess up what you are doing (so he doesn't know it's chargeless).  If he does experience the same effects then it is likely in his mind, believing that it does something when it doesn't (placebo).   But if he doesn't experience any negative feelings then that's very, very interesting.   The body is filled with electric and magnetic fields that are natural but i'd imagine (I don't know what signal strength used by the fitbit) that the fitbit wouldn't have much effect, if any, but you never know.    

So if he does experience an effect with the chargeless fitbit on then I would take it a few steps further.  Perhaps he is affected by the band.   Obviously with his permission but without him seeing it directly I'd do the following as an experiment.  (Test 2) I'd remove the straps from the fitbit head and I'd put the straps back on without the fitbit head (so only the straps ad no fitbit device) and join them so they are touching all the way around his wrist.  Perhaps use some elastic bands to hold them in place.  Distract him when doing it and tell him you're testing something and not to look.   I'd put a bandage around it so he can't look at it and tell him not to touch it (tell him not to tamper with the bandage or it will mess up what you are testing so he doesn't remove it or tamper with it).   Now see if he still gets the effects!   (If you want to be really thorough try just the bandage and then try just the elastic bands on their own as well and try the fitbit bands but not joined around the wrist but I don't think you'll want to do that much and it's probably not necessary). 

If he does experience the negative feelings then try test 3 which is try the uncharged fitbit head only (no wristband) on the arm taped on but don't tape around the wrist (very important), rather use a small amount of tape parallel to the arm (choose tape that won't mess up the fitbit device).    Then (test 4) try the same as test 3 but this time with the fitbit head charged up. 

Results

This is what I would draw from these tests: 

Test 1. This tests if the uncharged fitbit has the same effect.   If he experiences no effects then it is possible that the (likely) small current used is affecting him!  It would surprise me as we often have things in our environment that can produce small changes but, hey, that is the conclusion I'd assume at that point.  I would then do Test 5, try the fitbit charged and uncharged on his other wrist and on his ankles.  It may be a matter of finding a place that doesn't affect his internal natural fields.  If he gets effects from all these places then I'd be very interested to know that result since that would be very surprising and interesting!    

Test 2. This tests if the wristband is having the effect.   If he feels an effect from this test then it is the strap that is affecting him.  Since the wrist bands are likely insulators (judging from looking/feeling them) then it may be a response of his skin to the material.   In that case, maybe try putting something under the band part (but not the device) so his skin doesn't feel the plastic.    The other possibility is that the insulator band alters the internal magnetic fields but I'd be again very surprised.   From test 2, if he doesn't feel any bad effect then it is likely due to the fitbit device and not the wrist band.   Tests 3 and 4 will help isolate that.    

Test 3. This tests if the fitbit device as an uncharged device is having an effect.   If he experiences a bad effect with just the fitbit device on his wrist and no wristband then it's likely due to the fitbit (or the tape which you could test on its own as well) but the fitbit is uncharged so I would take another step of taping on his arm a small coin, try a 1 cent or penny then try a dime or a quarter or 25 pence piece.   He may be reacting to a conductor being on his arm because the fitbit has no charge it is essentially a slab of conductor and can produce a minor image charge on its surface in response to fields nearby under the skin but I wouldn't expect this response to be of any significance... loads of people wear necklaces or rings could in principle do the same but I'd expect this is a very very minor effect and negligible.   If you want to be ultra rigorous then I'd try with just the tape you used and no fitbit device and no wristband.   If he experiences again then he is reacting to anything there so it's likely to be a skin reaction.  

Test 4. This tests if the charged fitbit device is having an effect.  If he was fine with the fitbit on its own taped on the arm (result of test 3) then this test 4 will show if charging it up alters anything.   If he is fine with test 4 (no bad feelings) then he is fine with the device and it's likely the wristband.   If he was fine with test 3 but not test 4 then it is potentially the electrical effect from the fitbit.   

If you suspect it's a placebo then try the following.   Tell him that you want to test the bandage on its own and do that.   Then tell him you are going to put the fitbit under the bandage but don't.   You could perhaps make the bandage thicker or put a bit of cardboard inside the bandage to make him think it's in there.   Tell him that you're trying the fitbit without the tightness of the band.   if he experiences an effect then it is really likely placebo.   The last thing I would do is tell him in the bandage there is a small weight but no fitbit.   And do just that.  Put a small weight in there and see if for some reason he is sensitive to weight on his arm.   I can't imagine why that would make him feel not good but if he was aware it is just a weight and not a fitbit and had an effect then it's not a placebo it's a real response. 

Okay, I have no more time to think up tests for now.    I'd really really be interested to learn if anyone actually takes the time and effort to test this like a scientist would.   I'd be happy to correspond with anyone if they do undertake these tests.   We could really find out the origin of these negative feelings if people do this rigorously.   

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond in detail. My father stopped wearing it after he got dizzy and never wore it again!

Best Answer
0 Votes

The problem using a taped fitbit etc creates new attachment and sensation issues which you are not controlling.    The fitbit has a relatively low wifi signal strength compared to a bluetooth headseat, and a super low wifi strength relative to a smartphone.   So you can reasonably rule out wifi as a trigger if one doesn't react to a bluetooth headset but does react to a fitbit.   Since various metals are used in the body of the fitbit, at least some of the fitbits, it's much more likely a few people may have metal sensitivities or alternately, or in combination, react to the erratic flash of the fitbit dial from the built in inclinometer.    The plasticizers used in the polymer wristband is stuff used in all such plastics, so if you don't react to other such products then that is not it.

I am guessing most of the complaints about dizziness derive from the erratic flash of the dial most of the time.   Why?  Car sickness is mostly caused by erratic visual discrepancies between what you are seeing and what you expect to see (a combination of inner ear equilibrium sensing vs expectation vs reality).   This is why people who are sleeping in a car when it starts out, don't get car sick.   And it's also why drivers usually suffer less from car sickness than passengers.   It's a visual discrepancy that causes the wooziness and eventual nausea.    The Fitbit dial is notorious for flashing on when one doesn't expect it too, and before the Charge 3, the brightness was always at full strength.   It is a disaster waiting to happen for those sensitive to such things.

The heart rate monitor just uses flashing infrared and green lights directly on the skin....skin isn't going to make you dizzy with light on it.    People would be fainting just going out in the daytime if that were true.   The only way the lights might affect a person like that is if the watch isn't tight enough on the wrist to obscure the flashing, so a person catches unexpected glimpses of the flickering light from time to time.   Perceived visual discrepancies are well known to cause dizziness or even nausea.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes
Not sure why people have begun commenting on this post again, but the issue was resolved years ago.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Best Answer

I would recommend loosening the band up because it might be too tight and cutting his circulation off.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Even if someone had a watch band tight enough to cut off circulation, which would be extremely uncomfortable to painful, the effect would be to cut off circulation to one's hand and elevate blood pressure elsewhere...reducing the likelihood of dizziness and wooziness. Exercise itself is much more likely to alter vascular tone in ways to increase the chance of orthostatic hypotension, esp. when getting up from a seated position...and that definitely makes one woozy.

Happy Connecting. Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S® 5
Best Answer
0 Votes

I started feeling dizzy when I foolishly paid $149.95 for my Charge HR and woozy when the band started coming away from the tracking components.

Then, even woozier when, a short time later, after being caught in a downpour while bike riding, the band on my replacement started coming apart.

i'd like to know the actual cost of making these.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes I have experienced syncope and collapse while wearing my Fitbit charge 2. I would wear it everyday and some nights also. It started happening every so often and then got more frequent until recently it was daily. I always wore it to track my heart rate because of symptoms and never thought it could be causing my symptoms. My Fitbit band broke so i wasn’t wearing it and haven’t experienced any symptoms since. I am searching for others experiences while wearing one 

Best Answer

I'm 48, a bit overweight, 5'2",  but otherwise healthy.  I too have been experiencing feeling off, and dizzy when I'm doing nothing.  The only thing that is different in my routine,  is I'm wearing my fitbit hr regularly. 

Took it off, and 30 mins later im starting to feel more like myself.

Best Answer

I've also been experiencing this...I've had an Alta HR for a couple of years and been fine with wearing it. I just bought a Versa 2 last week and as soon as I put it on, I start feeling weird - dizzy, tired, light-headed. Tried turning off the HR monitor and that has helped a bit, but not completely. I'm guessing it has to do with the newer sensors on these watches.

Previous to this, I bought a Garmin Vivomove HR and that caused the same thing, only more intense. I had to return it as I just couldn't handle the dizziness. Might have to return the Versa 2 as well...a shame as I really like them...

Best Answer
0 Votes

I do relate to what most members experienced because I kind of felt sick recently. I bought my Charge 3 SE in April 2021 and I was very happy with my purchase. After a week I felt weird but thought it was because of the new season. I was lightheaded and my heartbeat was erratic. I remember telling my friend that I feel sick, and that my heart beat is somehow but am not sure what was really wrong with me. It got me worried and I contemplated on seeing my GP. It was difficult to sleep on my left side and one flight of steps was like I ran a kilometer. This stressed me so much because I lost a colleague recently due to a heart condition. One night, few days ago I put my device on a charger. In the morning instead of wearing it, I instead put it in my pocket and went to work. I felt different, though not 100% my normal self. The weird feeling has stopped because I'm off the Fitbit. I do love what it offers but I'm afraid of getting sick again. Today I requested that I return it.

Best Answer

I have been having wrist and arm pain. I do not wear my Fitbit tight so I know that’s not the cause. I tried switching arms. Same thing on both wrists. Then I started wearing it day and night to track my sleep. I’ve had numbness in the hand on the arm I was wearing it. Then I had such a bad dizzy spell while I was driving. I pulled over immediately and while I was calling my husband for help my arm went numb and my hand cramped up. I was checked by a dr they could find nothing physically wrong but I took my Fitbit off during this episode and all of my symptoms subsided within minutes. It was scary! I will never wear another tracker again. I have experimented by wearing again and all of the issues came back. The Fitbit was definitely the cause of problems. I have since taken my children’s trackers away.

Best Answer

Hi Annie888,

I recently bought the Luxe. I ended up with dizziness and nausea for about 3 weeks before it occured to me that it might be the Fitbit causing the problem. I took it off and felt better the following day and completely recovered the day after that. 

Best Answer