Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inaccurate Step Count

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My Fitbit Charge HR seems to be over-estimating my step count and/or mis-assigning workouts based on motion. Specifically, yesterday I spent 6 hours driving, I got in the car in the morning with something like 1300 steps. By the time I got home it had counted an additional 8k + steps and logged some of the time driving as bike rides. I got out of the car maybe twice on my trip, and it could not have been more than 100 steps total.

I understand that the hand placement and vibration of driving might "confuse" the device, should I be taking it off when I drive to ensure I get an accurate count? I prefer keeping it on because it tracks my HR and heps me control my stress level while driving (I'm near WDC - it's brutal here). This seems to be a more recent issue, I did not have this problem (or not this noticeably) until yesterday.

Best Answer
54 REPLIES 54

I agree with Mixed_DJ, I have seen significant inaccuracies since the last update for Android especially with the stair counting. I've noticed a  significant increase in stair count and I never had these issues before the upgrade.

I also hate that GPS location needs to be ON to now sync( which really is not needed to sync)...but that's anothor topic!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am three days into using my new Charge HR and it's evident that it is dramatically overestimating my steps. 

It has credited me with 20 steps for sitting in a chair and tying my shoe, 20 steps for sitting at a table and leafing through a magazine, numerous extra steps for flossing, seven steps for taking one step out of our car to the ground and on and on. I don't expect exact precision and know that waist-worn devices are more accurate than wrist-worn products. But this is ridiculous.

I am also a cyclist and it has credited me with more than 6,000 steps on a 20-mile bike ride.

It makes me wonder about the acuracy of the other functions.

It's been a very frustrating start. It makes me wonder whether the techology of wrist-worn devices has advanced to a point where they should even be marketed to the public.

I am contacting FitBit support, but has anybody otherwise had this problem and solved it?

Best Answer

Thanks for the response.

Problem is I don't have a smart phone. I sync my FitBit with our desktop Mac. I am currently researching smart phones with the idea of purchasing one, but don't anticipate doing so for several weeks.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having the same problem with Charge HR not counting all my steps.  It only counts 60-70 of every 100 steps (I've tested it several times).  It WILL count accurately if I hold my arm at parallel as if running.  So weird.  Just bought it in May and am receiving my 3rd replacement this week from Fitbit.  Wish they'd get this issue worked out.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I also have inaccurate step count but mine is adding steps when I am inactive.  Sun 8/7 I was driving in my car for 3 hours and riding another 5 hours.  Fitbitr HR was on the non dominent hand  but was on the hand used for the most steering as my dominent arm was injured and propped on a pillow.  I got 3800 steps in the 3 hours that I was driving.  How can I assure that this does not happen again?

Best Answer

you cannot.  You can get another app DriveBit and this will record a driving activity which i think will adjust your step count

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well I have to say I'm becoming less impressed with fitbit.  I recently went on a brief holiday to a mountainous area which included a certain amount of trekking, riding and off-tarmac driving (I was passenger only). So some nice exercise clocking up I thought. 4 hour walks in the mountains - does my fitbit show I have taken excercise? Hardly, just for a fraction of that time.  One hour hike to a waterfall and one hour back. Exercise? not according to the fitbit.  Sorry, it did record a period of 33 min excercise somewhere mid the time, but only 780 steps for that period!  However it did clock over 328 staircases that day! Recorded 704 floors the next day!  Afternoon flat walk to the beach - recorded 27 mins and 20 mins excercise but 130 and 0 steps respectively for those periods. Riding? not excercise but seemed to count as my steps. Vehicle movement? - sometimes just steps (got some great (but wholly inaccurate) daily counts thanks to this!), sometimes as 'outdoor bike' for part of the journey. Back home on a walk in the park it works fine.  What is the issue?

Best Answer

Like others, my FitBit Charge only counts about 2/3 of my steps.  I tried doing the recommended reset but still had problems.  FitBit would not replace my FitBit but offered me a discount to purchase a new one.  I went ahead and purchased a new Charge and it worked for a short while and is back to not counting all of my steps.  So frustrating...  I'll try to remember to walk with my arms parallel and see if it matches up with my old school  pedometer I now feel forced to wear in order to get an accurate step count.

Best Answer
Sorry you are having the FitBit issues.
My problem was actually over-counting steps rather than undercounting, which is just as bad. Customer service had me do a test in which I take 100 steps and see what the FitBit counted. I actually did it four times, three of which were anywhere from 10 to 15 steps too many. I don't expect perfection, but over a full day that is going to result in a pretty drastic over-count.The fourth test I intentionally limited the movement of my arms and that one came out to 85 steps, so go figure.

Anyway, they sent me a new Charge HR, which I have yet to set up. We will see how that works out.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I recently received my Charge2, replacing my ChargeHR. I do my workout, and the steps aren't accurately reflected. My routine consists of walking (my stride length is 2ft) on the treadmill for 4 miles,  at a speed of 3.1 with no incline. I walk for 75 minutes. My Charge2 shows I've taken 1500 steps and 1.4 miles. Would someone please replicate my workout and tell me how many steps you show? I'm getting quite frustrated. When I had my PebbleTime and ChargeHR I averaged 10k steps a day doing the same workout. Help.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have been sitting on my couch for the last hour studying for finals and it says I have taken 155 steps. Why? And how do I adjust my stride or whatever I've heard about?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having the same issue with my fitbit Surge which I bought 1 week ago. I wear it to bed, it records about 100 steps every morning on waking. Seems to suggest that I sleep-walk. The step counter on my Samsung Galaxy smartphone is by a million miles more accurate. I am simply very disappointed with the product.

Best Answer
They did replace my old FitBit, but I have yet to try my new one. I am almost afraid to it was so frustrating with the first one. If this one doesn't work correctly, I am just going to say screw it, cut my losses and warn other people of the issues I had.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Maybe your happy with that but having to go enter something like that would irritate me. My solution is to go in and indicate it's on your dominant arm under settings. Even if it isn't it will decrease the sensitivity and stop registering steps and whe your decision driving down the road

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @SantiR

I've noticed that my Fitbit counts steps while I'm traveling by public transport. At the moment I'm sitting on the couch, not moving at all, and my Fitbit keep counting steps. I'm talking about hundreds of steps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I bought my device (Charge 2) a little over a week ago and I'm going to return it.  It is the most inaccurate product I've used to track my steps and distance.  I've tested it on a track and on a treadmill and it only counts about two-thirds of my steps.  I've tried adjusting my stride length which makes no difference because it only counts some of my steps.  If I walk for 100 steps it only counts about 65 steps.  I've tried putting it on my other wrist and also put it in my pocket but it makes no difference - it's still hugely inaccurate.  The pedometer on my phone is about 99 % accurate and this fitbit product is unable to properly track my steps so the data is useless. Yesterday I walked about 17,500 steps and my fitbit only counted about 15,000 - huge difference. I was excited about getting my fitbit but I'm extremely disappointed in this product.  I can't use this product because it is so inaccurate.   

Best Answer

Disable or take off the bit.

You can also remove those logged steps that aren't steps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

MalloryKn0x

what do you mean by disable the bit? I haven't logged any steps that aren't steps? Not sure what you mean by this?  It is hugely underestimating my steps. Only records about 2/3 of my steps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@richardaggie

I am having problems wit overcounting steps because I wear it to work where I am primarily on my feet walking but also do customer service. I work retail so I am always folding clothes aND baging them as well as handing money back and forth across the counter. All of these add extra steps.

So what can I do to help prevent these?

I am predominantly right handed and wear my bit on my left wrist.

Should I go to settings and put my dominant hand as my left, and leave my bit on my left.

I ask because I did that 100 step test abd it came out close almost every time [count 100 steps and see how many show] if anything it was 10 to 15 off. In the long run though, will that even matter with that small amount?

[The 10 to 15 difference whether be extra or fewer is just plain walking and aware of the steps though.]

The ones I am really having trouble with are the 20+ that come.from handing someone change, or folding clothes.

If anyone can help me id appreciate it.

Thank you.

[Only had this thing two days and really just want to get a feel for it before trying t send it back....I get frustrated easy but trying to be patient!]

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry that we intended for.another user, I'm sorry. It was supposed to be for the one about logging time whIle driving. Not sure why it replied on yours. I am sorry again.

Best Answer
0 Votes