Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inaccurate Step Count

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My Fitbit Charge HR seems to be over-estimating my step count and/or mis-assigning workouts based on motion. Specifically, yesterday I spent 6 hours driving, I got in the car in the morning with something like 1300 steps. By the time I got home it had counted an additional 8k + steps and logged some of the time driving as bike rides. I got out of the car maybe twice on my trip, and it could not have been more than 100 steps total.

I understand that the hand placement and vibration of driving might "confuse" the device, should I be taking it off when I drive to ensure I get an accurate count? I prefer keeping it on because it tracks my HR and heps me control my stress level while driving (I'm near WDC - it's brutal here). This seems to be a more recent issue, I did not have this problem (or not this noticeably) until yesterday.

Best Answer
54 REPLIES 54
Yes, turn on the dominant hand setting and that will likely help. My old fit bit charge would record hundreds of steps driving down Oklahoma washboard highways and that fixed that problem for me.
Best Answer
0 Votes

No problem.  I was hoping someone would have some helpful information as to why my Charge 2 is not properly recording steps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry I am so.dumb.

So to clarify I put 

Wrist Placement as Left

And Handedness as Left

When my dominant hand is right and wrist placement is left currently....Sorry I am dull....not to mention at work dog tired. Lol.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just need to know what to change. Sorry.

Best Answer
0 Votes

hello do u return your fitbit?it happens to me i just sit for 1hour suddenly it increases 700steps and 500cals

even my "active" doesnt change since i use this alta still 0

i think i have to return it, fitbit so inacurate i even get replacement bfore this

Best Answer
0 Votes
I worked with customer service and they finally sent me a replacement at no cost. That was awhile ago, but I still haven't tried the new one. Kind of got out of the mood, but I will charge up the new one and go out and test it. Honestly, I don't have much confidence it will be better. If this one doesn't work better, I will probably just cut my losses and forget about wrist worn trackers. I'm really wondering whether the technology has reached a point where they can be considered reliable.
Best Answer

i think i will return it than get the replacement..thankyou for let me know, actually i bought this bcause the design its better than vivofit but its ridiculos and pricey 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My new fitbit blaze does the same thing. I will walk 100 steps and it will say I i somewhere between 60-70 while my husband's new fit bit blaze says 100 as he is walking beside me. I take more steps than him as I am 10" shorter than him. Thinking it was my fitbit we switched. I wore his & he wore mine. My fitbit calculated correctly for him & his was incorrect for me. We checked the stride on both. They are both set to calculate stride automatically. His shows a longer walking & running stride, in which it should. We walk quite briskly and if anything my arms swing more than his. We both wear it on our non dominant arm & they are both set for that. How do we fix my fitbit so it actually works properly & actually counts steps because obviously that is not what it is counting. 

Thank you!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello

I also work in customer service and  was wondering if you figured out how to remedy the  "over counting" problem since we use our hands so much during work .... i wear mine on my dominate hand because i am also not fond of wearing watches on my left hand....  i have tried changing my stride length switching setting from dominate to non dominate reset my fit bit etc etc ...

Help 😢

Best Answer

I have done everything you stated here, and I get such huge inaccuracy in my steps , just for a simple example I could walk a simple 5,000 steps and it records 21,000. no kidding, been doing this for 2 days now... I restarted it, did firmware update, contacted customer service and they said to just wait and see if it resets at midnight, but like I said to them that doesn't solve my issue of the over steps inaccuracy.. I could stand a few hundred but holy cow a few thousand is ridiculous ....any suggestions ?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Why this cant be fixed in a firmware update. Ii guess the fitbit versa is having inbuilt gps, judging from the speed of travelling it should be able to figure out that the person is on a commute and need to avoid counting inaccurate steps.

I had used cheap huwawei band 2 and the step count is super accurate. And this expensive fitbit is giving me wrong stepcounts.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbits are more toys than anything close to accurate devices.  

Best Answer

This is correction steps, but do we have anything to prevent logging it wrong g? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My fit bit is over counting my steps and counting steps when i move my arm can you please tell me how i can correct it so it counts accurately! And in your previous posts it says about stride!l, i can’t find that! I am not very technical please help me! Thank you

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have had to manually reset my first bit at least 1 time a month to get
some what if an accurate step count. I am finding lots not as reliable as
some of the earlier fit bit I have owned. Right now I own a fit bit charge 2

If you’re doing this calculation outside, bring a piece of chalk and a
measuring tape. If you’re doing this inside, have a tape measure and some
masking tape.

1. Using the tape measure and the chalk (outside) or the masking tape
(inside), measure and mark off a specific distance, such as 20 feet.
2. Start walking about 10 feet before one of the marks to get up to
speed in your natural walk.
3. When you hit the first mark, start counting your steps, stopping your
count when you hit the second mark.
4. Divide the number of feet in your measured distance by the number of
steps you took from the first mark to the second. *Distance in
feet/number of steps = step length.* For example, if it took you 16
steps to cover 20 feet, your step length would be 1.25 feet (15 inches).
Best Answer
0 Votes