Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux - Syncing Tracker

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I am using Linux Mint on my laptop, and use Galileo to sync the Charge HR to the FitBit Web-based Dashboard.  As long as the FitBit supplied Dongle is plugged into the laptop USB port, the tracker will sync every 15 minutes automatically (assuming it is range).

I see a lot of discussions about problems with various versions of Wiindows or Macs syncing, but I haven't seen any discussions on Linux. Does anyone else use Linux?

Best Answer
10 REPLIES 10

Several folks do. In fact there is a Linux User's Group (go to https://www.fitbit.com/groups do a Search for Linux). I run Mageia and use galileo to sync the tracker. It's on a desktop so I'm not set to automatically update. I just manually sync when I come in and sit down at the PC.

I have absolutely no problems syncing with galileo...... galileo and the web-based Dashboard seem to be the most solid combination for operating the Charge HR.

Best Answer

How do you manually sync with Galileo? I have never been able to force a sync except by unplugging the dongle and that stopped working  days ago.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's nice to see you guys around the Community @Val-A @USAF-Larry @mbramble, hope you're doing great! 

The users over at http://www.fitbit.com/group/228R6L may be able to assist you.

Thank you for your suggestion. We're constantly striving to improve Fitbit products and services, and we very much appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. The best place to make your voice heard is the Ideas board on our community, which our product development teams consult regularly to ensure we're delivering on what our customers need and want. Please take a moment to visit and give us your feedback. 

I've found this suggestion "Support Linux" that another member has created. If you find that one similar of what you want, you can vote for their idea and add your comments. Our product team looks forward to reading and incorporating your suggestions into future versions of Fitbit trackers and apps. 

Happy stepping guys! 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

When I have the fitbit.com Dashboard open, if I click on the Dashboard menu item at the top it will manually sync the tracker using Galileo.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi,

I have not been doing my usual distance for some time due to A.  A fall.  Whacked down on my coccyx, nothing broken but it slowed me down no end then then B -  the freakishly hot, humid (sometimes 100% humidity) weather in the Hell Hole and biting insect heaven of Pensacola which does not exactly encourage walking. 

I have a new problem.  My fitbit will not sinc on this computer any more.  Not that I worry much because I barely manage more than two  miles these days.  I can't wait to be back up North -  I don't care where as long as it snows in Winter and I am not soaking wet with sweat before I've walked a hundred yards the rest of the year.  ( Invention suggestion to go with your other products :  A flying robot which hovers low enough to keep one cool and dry.  Remember who suggested it.  I could do with some fame and fortune.  Never mind the fame, fortune will do.)
All the best,
Val
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello,
Is there any way i can connect with you privately, id like to know regarding the auto sync using galileo (specifically when the tracker is in range)

http://t.me/skullz15

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yeah,

the "support Linux" link just leads to a dead end.   It shouldn't be a suggestion as it is non-op.  Facts.  You can then set a clock to facts.   Thank you for your time. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm using Linux Mint 20.2 cinnamon.  I've been unable to connect my Fitbit Inspire 2 with my Linux laptop; only with my Android telephone.  So I researched/learned of the "Python plus Galileo" for Fitbit devices' connections versus "Wine" (Linux program running Microsoft; yet not perfectly?). From what I understand Fitbit devices run on Microsoft programs (truth known to others?).  When I added Python (plus Galileo linked to Python; apparently able to handle Microsoft programs), the "set-up" requires a "dongle" to interface with the Fitbit device.  I haven't yet bought a "dongle," as they're "quite old," essentially similar to a PCI card?  Otherwise I don't yet understand why my Linux Mint 20.2 doesn't interface with the Fitbit Inspire 2. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had a Fitbit Ionic when it first came out. The watch was OK, but the Fitbit software was absolute garbage. It would not work with Linux or Android.  I ended up flinging the **ahem** thing into a lake. I should have just returned it. Many of us REFUSE to use Windows and for good reason. There should be other options available. The software should be TESTED and proven to work before releasing it to the public - please do so out of PRIDE for your product. As a developer, I would be deeply ashamed to release broken, half functional software. 

On a less sour note, I just received an Inspire 2 as a gift. I don't look forward to setting this up and trying it out, but will try it with Galileo as mentioned above. I'll post my results. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I've had incredible success with my fitbit Inspire 2.

Hope you have the same success!
Best Answer
0 Votes