Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does my location need to be on to sync.

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

This is my second charge hr. I updated less than 3 months ago and I want to know why  does my location need to be on to sync?. I have never had to have it on before to sync until bout 2 weeks ago. I am very unhappy bout this. If it does have to be on all the time to sync than I have wasted money on something that I can't use. 

Best Answer
118 REPLIES 118
Still doesn't make sense. Even if fitbit wants to scan for devices all the
time, what has Bluetooth got to do with location? All Bluetooth activities
like scanning, syncing etc can be done without needing anything to do with
location, Bluetooth has existed without location service for ever. This is
very fishy what fitbit is doing
Best Answer
0 Votes

When you scan for Bluetooth devices it's possible to detect approximate user location, because you know he's close to some Bluetooth device.

There are static Bluetooth devices inside indoor locations like malls, airports, etc, that are used for the purpose of detecting user location indoors where GPS is not available.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am annoyed by this compulsion of Fitbit. My battery drains when GPS is always on. I checked by connecting with Huawei watch and it doesn't need turning on GPS to sync. Then why is Fitbit pinning this on Android? First I had to change my Android device as it doesn't sync with Fitbit properly. Now this GPS compulsion. I am sorry. I will never buy or use FitBit again.

Best Answer

I agree with AprilD comments.  I have the Fitbit Charge 2 for more than 2 years.  During the 2 year period I have sync'ed without needing my location.   This only happens when Google bought out Fitbit.  This is just another way for Google to collect people's data and metrics.  This is Bull**ahem**.  I will delete the Fitbit App from my phone.   I will never buy another god **ahem** Fitbit product.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same. Google has gotten crazy big and it makes me nervous. I used to have a fitbit years ago but stopped having time so I gave it to my mom. Now I wanted to try again but found out about this because now i have to research all tech just to know how badly they plan to invade my privacy and use me as a product.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Android, not Google made this change when it locked down and secured your Bluetooth connection during a request for the Bluetooth MAC of a connected device. 

Years ago someone was able to remotely take full control of your phone during a sync of your Fitbit. The only way to break their connection was to turn Bluetooth off. 

I would call that invasive. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
" Android, not Google made this change"
interesting, I was about to say they are one and the same. But now under
the moniker alphabet, you have the Google android the hardware, who knows
what. All I know is I've about had it with the big brother effect.

Anyhow, Bluetooth vulnerabilities has nothing to do with location services
being required for syncing.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Let's go to the source 

https://developer.android.com/about/versions/10/privacy/changes#location-telephony-bluetooth-wifi

We could also see what others say 

https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/160479/why-do-i-need-to-turn-on-location-services-to-pai...

Do your own research. 

Actually the android operating system is the reason for having location services on. 

It has been this way since Version 6 when android closed the above mentioned vulnerability. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

That is simply not true. I use Bluetooth every day all the time and never turn my location on. Fitbit is the first device I've ever had that required location to use Bluetooth. Now why does Fitbit really require location?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Exactly! I have numerous Bluetooth devices, even a Google watch and I've never had to use my location with any of them!

Best Answer
0 Votes

What type of Bluetooth devices are we referring to @Lu1uKp 

Try connecting a Garmin Watch, a Smart Light Bulb or Smart Switch, or most Smart Scales, that uses an app to setup their device. They all require Location Services to be enabled with an Android phone. 

Now if you are simply setting up a speaker or headphone through the phones Bluetooth, you are correct, location services does not need to be enabled because these do not get setup through an app. 

Speakers are Bluetooth Classic, not low energy, the Smart devices that use use Bluetooth Low Energy and when the app does a Bluetooth Low Energy Scan for a MAC address, Android requires location services to be on. The app never requests the phones location. 

I'm not sure why this service needs to be enabled, but it has been this way since Android 6 when it was discovered that dieting a BLE scan an unknown party is able to get in and take remote control of a users phone. 

Apparently with a Google watch, the wear os App does not do a BLE scan.

I did post 2 links to Android pages for Android developers explaining why, from Androids end, location services needs to be enabled.

Even if location services are disabled, both your cell provider and Google know where you are

Best Answer
0 Votes
Using an older version of Fitbit that I have downloaded does not require location. What does that have to do with Android or Google. Just proves it's not necessary. I have a camera and light bulbs and sound bars and speakers and airpods and all kind of stuff. None of it requires location. Sounds like you've been had and don't know what you're talking about.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
Best Answer
Agree
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey, from where did you get the old Fitbit version? Would share it. This big brother location tracking is not good.

Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes the older version does not require location access on. 

However it does open a huge security flaw that allows a 3rd unknown person to gather info on your phone and its owner during a sync of your tracker. (through beacons)

This security flaw was closed with Android version 6 and about a year ago iOS closed this. 

So please weigh the consequences of re-opening this security flaw. 

You also will need to find at least a 7 year old version of the fitbit app, and be aware you will be giving up any features added in the last 7 years. 

BTW every smart light, smart switch, smart scale, smart watch, smart thermostat, smart controller, even your nest camera (for setup) and every Bluetooth Low Energy device now requires that location services be enabled because of Android. 

Screenshot_20220403-115544_Chrome.jpg

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rich_Laue wrote:

...and every Bluetooth Low Energy device now requires that location services be enabled because of Android. 

This is just not true, Rich.

I have just bought a Charge 5 (still running on an S9+ running Android 9). Let me paraphrase what I said 2 years ago in this thread which astonishingly, remains true today:

The Android Fitbit app always shows the annoying "! Location access required to sync. FIX IT" message, BUT IF YOU IGNORE IT, IT JUST SYNCS ANYWAY - both to the app and to the dashboard on the Fitbit website. In fact, whenever you open the app, the tracker seems almost always to be synced already. I still find this super irritating because it suggests subterfuge even if none actually exists - and whatever the reason for it, it does seem to throw doubt on the whole "this is all just a Google thing" explanation.

Location access is obviously NOT required to sync, it is only required if you wish to sync right this second.

For some reason, Fitbit would just be happier if you turned on the GPS...

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Cut users have reported that the background sync, the sync that happens every 15 minutes while the app in not in the foreground, does not need the location on. Apparently background sync, unlike a foregrand sync does not do a beacon search. 

However the sync that happens while the app is open, 

Back in 2019 Android, with closing a security risk, made it mandatory to have location permission to do a BTLE beacon search. Your tracker is also a BTLE beacon. 

I also see that this needed location permission has been removed in android 12. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I use Bluetooth on Android 11 regularly and never have Location turned on.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes @CR787 but which form of Bluetooth. 

Headphones will not need location services. Neither will the old data communication. 

However Bluetooth Low Energy will need access, your location isn't being recorded This is a requirement of the phones operating system with both Android and now iOS. 

I don't understand it, but you can easily find the reason with a Google search. It has something to do with a Bluetooth LE beacon exploit and your phones security. 

Every smart switch, light, camera in my house, along with my garmin dsshcam, scale, and my OBDII reader requires location access to location services, for this reason. 

Some of the above devices only need it durring setup. 

Best Answer
0 Votes