Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong resting heart rate

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have had a Fitbit for a while now. Switched from charge HR to Charge 2. I realised something...my heart rate while asleep gets in the 50s and below 50 (46 bpm) and my resting heart rate doesn't budge from 60 bpm. It's kind of frustrating because people have a heart rate in the 50s and their resting heart rate is in the 50s and mines in the 50s and even 40s but my RHR doesn't move. It impacts on what no VO2 max is and anything that requires a RHR. Someone tell me what is going on? I could be completely lazy with my Heart rate staying in the 50s and it still doesn't count it as the average. Either way, lazy or exercising, it hates going below 60. Please help!

Best Answer
42 REPLIES 42

I’m still rather cynical on the whole matter.  The technical issues that are mentioned here and environmental are interesting additions to the discussion that are good observations.  I also continue to think there is a limitation to how much their software will disclose based on resting heart rate.  I’m convinced this limitation is entirely because of the added cost for sleeping heart rate.  The heart rate, if below a certain number, during the day might never reflect the lower rates.  Why?  For a simple reason: the software assumes that below a threshold someone would be asleep.  A quick test of this idea would be that if someone , had bradycardia that wasn’t medicated, and that same person did not pay for the premium service for sleeping hr, one of two things would happen.

a) the fit bit simply wouldn’t give a heart rate because the software blocked it

or 

b) being confused by the registration of a pulse but unable to show it because of the for cost service, it would automatically just assign the lowest number possible under its programming.  If it did that, it would be easy to match a history of readings from a bp tester or pulse oximeter.  I bet they would be different by a wide margin everyone.  

the problem with this experiment is finding a couple of people with bradycardia willing to do it,

Best Answer
0 Votes

Okay,  so that answers why it's lower while sleeping,  but I've been laying here for twenty minutes+ after noticing the discrepancy this time is 10+ bpm. The Charge 2 is saying 47 and 48 SLR my app is overusing that my RHR is at 58... like it was yesterday and the day before.  Hope can it remain lost for so long and have no impact?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a pacemaker and observe the same low readings (52 - 56) while sleeping from time to time with my Versa 2. One source of the low values is a reading error by the Fitbit caused by the watch sensors not being in contact with my wrist. Moving the Fitbit to my right wrist (which is larger) improves the heart rate count while sleeping. 

i have also observed low readings when PVCs are high. The Fitbit misses the PVC beats and reports a lower heart rate. This understandable since the Fitbit is not a medical device.

Best Answer