Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues understanding Inspire 2 sleep data

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have been using my inspire 2 for months and LOVE the sleep tracking feature. Every morning I would wake up, open the sleep tile and see what percentage of my night was Deep sleep, what percentage was REM, etc. on a pretty and easy to read horizontal bar graph. Then everything changed. That lovely graph is gone with SUPER CONFUSING info!

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 REPLY 1

Hi, @SarahBrs , I tend to agree - but I think most of the information that you found helpful is still there.

But to answer you specific questions, those numbers explain the components of the sleep score and how the Fitbit assessed your night.  The total is 100.

So, according to the Fitbit program, the most important element of the score is simply how many hours you were actually asleep.  The time asleep measurement is therefore worth exactly half of your sleep score, and therefore the maximum score for time asleep is 50.  I’m guessing that 8 hours is the perfect 50, but I don’t know…

So in the examples you cite, Fitbit gives you a 40 for time asleep out of a maximum score of 50.  That means you are 80% of the way to a perfect score for time asleep.

Deep and REM is worth 25% of the score, so the maximum score you can get is 25.  At 23 you are therefore 92% of the way to a perfect score for Deep and REM.  The score also tells you the total number of minutes that it detected Deep and REM, and what percent of that total was REM (the remaining percent being Deep).  

The final element of the sleep score is Restoration.  That’s also worth 25% of the score.  You don’t mention what your number for that is, but basically it tells you how restful your sleep was - a low score there would suggest you did a lot of tossing and turning, even if you were actually asleep.  The score is based on how much of the time your heart rate was actually below your resting heart rate (as you probably know, your resting heart rate is not based on the lowest your heart rate gets during sleep, but an average of your heart rate during times when you are awake and alert but not exerting yourself in any way).

So the total 50+25+25 is 100.  You got an 80 out of 100 (which is good!).  That is made up 40 (time) + 23 (deep and REM) so must have been 17 (of a maximum 25) for restoration, or 78%.

For each element of the score you can tap to see more information.  I find the Deep and REM extra screen particularly helpful.  Have you had a look at that?

Your readiness score will be a combination of your sleep score (and probably especially restoration - Fitbit does not reveal the exact way it calculates any of the scores) and your recorded activity the day before.  I agree that 6 for a readiness score does seem surprisingly low, but I note that your Restoration score was lower than your other scores, so that will factor in. If you tap on the readiness score (and dismiss the explanation screen - press “done”) you will get more information about how the score was arrived at.  Did you have a fairly heavy walking or working out day yesterday?  Your Fitbit is telling you that even with a good sleep score you should probably take it easy today.  I would keep an eye on this, but hopefully if you have only light activity and then a good sleep, the next day’s readiness score will be back to “good” or “excellent”.

I hope this helps!

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer
0 Votes