Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice getting a fitbit

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hiya! Posting this here because I'm leaning towards getting a Versa.. if I should post somewhere else, let me know.

I'm looking for advice on getting a Fitbit. I am looking for a tracker that I can use while walking, swimming and sleeping. I would also prefer for it to recognize/track when I'm cycling to work or friends (so just casual cycling, nothing hardcore).

Since the device has to be waterproof, this doesn't leave a lot of options. I wasn't intending to get a smartwatch at all, but the Versa seems to be the only one that should be able to do all these things. I'm hesitating to buy it, because I've read about problems with the heart monitor and smart track for cycling, and some people are reporting pains in their arms/hands/fingers. I also think it's quite a big and conspicuous device. 

I read that there's some type of conference going on next month during which a new Fitbit Charge (3?) might be announced. 

So, my questions:

- should I wait for a newer device? Or might I be waiting until the end of the year?

- Versa owners: can the Versa do the things I want without any problems? Are there any indications wearing it day and night is bad for your health re: radiation? 

- should I just look at a different brand to find a product?

Thanks for your help!

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I have three waterproof fitbitsvand they all perform very well in all the areas you mention. They have all been my favourite tracker in their turn and I am still very fond of all three, but my favourite by far is the Versa. The three trackers are flex 2, Ionic and Versa - forgot to say that 🤣

All three track my steps well and track my bike rides using smart track (or with the Ionic and Versa also with manually starting the exercise (I dont usually do this with bike - I just let Smart track do it). Swimming is a breeze with all three - again all three use smart track and work well, though I do tend to start amd stop my swims using the button on the Ionic and Versa rather than use Smart track.  The flex 2 is by far the smallest.  The biggest problem with the flex 2 is that it doesnt have a watch face or Heart Rate monitor, but it does track your sleep well, but not give the full detail of sleep stages. I prefer the Versa over the Ionic as the Ionic IS big and the Versa feels much more my size (I have skinny arms!)

You read lots of problems people have on these forums but rememver the happy people with no problems dont tend to post here. For me any problems I have had have been relatively minor and pretty easily fixed. Here is my Versa.

My VersaMy Versa

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

@SunsetRunner  The Versa certainly has all the features you want.  You are correct in saying some users have problems, but I don't think that any of these issues happen to large numbers of users.

My observation about my heart rate monitoring is that it loses accuracy at higher heart rates.  Sometimes I put my finger on my pulse while looking at the tracker.  For me, at higher heart rates, my Versa says it is 10-15 bpm faster than my finger on my pulse.

I haven't had any huge issues with Smart Track.  I use it mainly for walking/running on my regular workouts -- I don't need a map.  But I use the Exercise mode on any workout that is really important.

With respect to the size, many fashion watches for women have huge faces.  Seems to be a trend.  My wrist is pretty dainty -- I have to take links off bracelets so they don't fall off.  I love the look of my Versa on my wrist.

With respect to Charge 3 rumors, we will all have to wait and see.  I checked out a few rumors -- none mention being waterproof and OK with swimming.  Folks who write about rumors think this should be a feature.

I have never used any other brand fitness tracker, so I can't make any comparison.

The time from announcement to availability can vary.  The Versa and the Ace (for kids) were announced at the same time.  But the Ace wasn't as ready, so there was a longer wait.

The great thing about ordering directly from Fitbit is that there is a 45 day, no questions asked, refund policy.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

I have three waterproof fitbitsvand they all perform very well in all the areas you mention. They have all been my favourite tracker in their turn and I am still very fond of all three, but my favourite by far is the Versa. The three trackers are flex 2, Ionic and Versa - forgot to say that 🤣

All three track my steps well and track my bike rides using smart track (or with the Ionic and Versa also with manually starting the exercise (I dont usually do this with bike - I just let Smart track do it). Swimming is a breeze with all three - again all three use smart track and work well, though I do tend to start amd stop my swims using the button on the Ionic and Versa rather than use Smart track.  The flex 2 is by far the smallest.  The biggest problem with the flex 2 is that it doesnt have a watch face or Heart Rate monitor, but it does track your sleep well, but not give the full detail of sleep stages. I prefer the Versa over the Ionic as the Ionic IS big and the Versa feels much more my size (I have skinny arms!)

You read lots of problems people have on these forums but rememver the happy people with no problems dont tend to post here. For me any problems I have had have been relatively minor and pretty easily fixed. Here is my Versa.

My VersaMy Versa

Community Council Member

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

I have the Versa and love it.  It use it for running, hiking and daily for swimming.  It works wonderfully and is the smartwatch I  was waiting for.  This is my fourth Fitbit and I wanted my smartwatch to be a Fitbit. Versa is perfect for me!  (There is an exercise function for biking also, I just have not used it yet, but will soon!)

KC | Texas
One, Charge HR, Charge 2, Versa | Galaxy S9 Plus
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have been one of the lucky ones and have not had any problems with my Versa.  I love it and wear it 23/7 (just take it off to charge while I’m getting ready for bed).  Ive read something about WiFi itself being more harmful than anything else, so if you use WiFi at home I’d be more worried about that.

I would absolutely recommend it BUT caution you to read as much as you can about it (which it seems like you have) so you aren’t surprised by anything, and to also be prepared to work with customer service if there does end up being a problem.  I’ve read that some people decided to buy from Best Buy and paid for the extra warranty so they can get a replacement (even if it’s just a scratched or cracked screen).  That could be a good route for you if you don’t want the potential hassle of customer service.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@LZeeW @Mothrasue @swim4lifekac Thank you so much for your extensive feedback! This helped me decide 🙂  I will try to read a little more on the versa so I'll know what to expect.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@NellyG Thanks for your feedback, and the picture! Love the rosegold paired with the black strap 🙂 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, I also like it with The black band!

Community Council Member

Best Answer