Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bike has wrong Distance and Run has no map!

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I brand new to fitbit, but bought it because my friends recommended it.

I have a Samsung S8 (v8.0.0) with a Versa FitBit (v2.72.1).

So I initially tried to use the Bike Activity, but I found that the roughly 4 mile trip only recorded at 20 meters!!  The map itself is correct showing the entire route, but the distance is WAY off!  This seems similar to this post except it is a different product.

I saw in many posts that they recommend using the Run Activity instead of the Bike to get a more accurate distance, but I then found that the Run Activity doesn't show a map (as described in this post)

And going through these forum posts I'm started to have a serious case of buyers remorse! Smiley Mad

Has anyone else seen these problems?

How stable is Fitbit?

Thanks

Bob

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@robert_w_brandt Welcome to the Fitbit Community! I hope you're doing well! Sorry to hear that your distance calculated during your bike and run activities. The Charge 2 does have a Connected GPS known issue that is being investigated. Several Fitbit app versions have improved the situation as you can read on one of the threads that you linked. Still it is suggested you turn off wifi when using this feature and be aware that tall buildings, trees and cloudy weather can affect the gps signal. You can try restarting your phone and your Versa before tracking a GPS activity by doing the following:

1.- Press and hold the back (left) and bottom buttons until you see the Fitbit logo on the screen. This should take less than 10 seconds.
2.- Let go of the buttons.
3.- If your Fitbit watch doesn't work normally, use the instructions in How do I turn off my Fitbit device? to turn your watch off and on again. 

Make sure you have a good GPS and mobile data signal and start the recording. Note that you can actually record runs with GPS data not only bike rides. 

Let me know how it goes!
Alvaro | Community Moderator

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

@robert_w_brandt Welcome to the Fitbit Community! I hope you're doing well! Sorry to hear that your distance calculated during your bike and run activities. The Charge 2 does have a Connected GPS known issue that is being investigated. Several Fitbit app versions have improved the situation as you can read on one of the threads that you linked. Still it is suggested you turn off wifi when using this feature and be aware that tall buildings, trees and cloudy weather can affect the gps signal. You can try restarting your phone and your Versa before tracking a GPS activity by doing the following:

1.- Press and hold the back (left) and bottom buttons until you see the Fitbit logo on the screen. This should take less than 10 seconds.
2.- Let go of the buttons.
3.- If your Fitbit watch doesn't work normally, use the instructions in How do I turn off my Fitbit device? to turn your watch off and on again. 

Make sure you have a good GPS and mobile data signal and start the recording. Note that you can actually record runs with GPS data not only bike rides. 

Let me know how it goes!

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks @AlvaroFitbit, that did the trick.
It took a few reboots and then this morning it wouldn't sync, but I think that was due to the fitbit website being down for maintenance.

Bob

Best Answer

@robert_w_brandt really happy to hear that this worked for you! Thank you so much for sharing this information. Regarding the sync issue you are totally correct, our servers were under maintenance and this affected directly the syncing capabilities. It should all be now back to normal.

I'll be around!

Best Answer
0 Votes

So this problem keeps happening. And after a good deal of troubleshooting ( FYI I'm a senior SysAdmin ) I found that if I have power-saving enabled on my phone I might have problems ( But it is inconsistent ). If I disable power-saving there are no problems.

This is not much of a problem during my normal workday as I can recharge my phone at work. But on weekends and vacations I need power-saving to get the phone through the day.

Even excluding the fitbit from power-saving does not help. 🙂

Just thought this might help others and hoping @AlvaroFitbit could forward this to engineering.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Are “run” and “bike” the only exercises that map a route? Not walk or hike???

Best Answer
0 Votes