Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distance is not accurate

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Today I ran 7 miles and my versa on registered it as 4.39 miles. How do I fix this?

Moderator Edit: Updated Subject For Clarity.

Best Answer
13 REPLIES 13

Hello there @Cvanroyen, awesome to see you again in the Fitbit Community! I saw your run results recorded by your tracker only gave you 4.39 miles of the 7 miles of total course.

The environment you are in can affect the signal strength of GPS. For example, if you are running in an urban environment with many tall buildings, How often is this happening? Is this issue happening with other type of exercises that uses the GPS feature of Connected GPS?

If you were using connected GPS, I would suggest to review the following troubleshooting steps mentioned in this article: Why isn't GPS working on my Fitbit device?

Keep me posted how it goes. See you later!

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer

@RobertoME How do you correct it when using the treadmill app? I did over 4 miles on the treadmill using the treadmill app (not holding on to anything with my fitbit hand) and it only recorded a little over 2 miles.

I have figured my stride and entered that to see if it would help but the results were the same. Over 4 miles on the treadmill but the treadmill app only shows a little over 2 miles

Best Answer

Hi there @dckuhn, my apologies for the late response and thank you for participate in our Fitbit Community.

In this case, as you mentioned in your post; It will depend of your stride length to give you distance. However this won't never match the total distance that your treadmill machine is giving you. This is different from using a GPS activity. Due to your tracker will calculate distance by multiplying your walking/running steps by your walking/running stride length when there is no GPS option. For more details please refer to this article section: How does my Fitbit device calculate distance?

Stay tuned if you have other questions.

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer

Hi are you able to assist with the distance not being accurate on the Fitbit Versa my husband has just bought me, I do the parkrun on Saturday morning, no internet issue and it is only recording 3.9 not the 5.2 which my local run is - very frustrating as making pace wrong also affecting my Strava result/challenges.

I hope you can help sort this.

Cheers

Sarah

Best Answer

I have had more luck figuring this out

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I've had 1 Ionic, 2 Versas during the last 3 yrs. None of them has measured the distance accurately with internal or external GPS.  They are off 15-20% on average. So, I switch the GPS on every time there's a software update hoping Fitbit fixed it. However, so far, I've had no positive results.  GPS back to off position until next update!  

Hopefully, one day and now that Google bought Fitbit we will have a solution. They just need to tally Google maps with the distance you ran. Is that too difficult for an algorithm to do?

My Best!

Best Answer

My mileage is consistently wrong.  As comparing to others.  

Best Answer

I ran into the same inaccurate distance issue.. the treadmill at the gym said I ran 5 miles.  I manually logged it on my fitbit app and THE APP CHANGED IT!!  I understand that there is a certain calculator for distance the app uses based on stride length estimate.. but clearly this method the app uses must be inaccurate!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

BUT, why bother using the fitbit app distance estimator because the method is WRONG!!  I had similar issue-- treadmill said I ran 5 miles and I manually logged this distance into the fitbit app and THE APP CHANGED IT TO SUIT IT'S CALCULATION ESTIMATOR! Very frustrating... I'm continually running into issues with my fitbit!

Best Answer

I'm having the same issues. Why did I buy this garbage? Every competitor at this point does it better than Fitbit. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Okay. Here's the bug which they don't seem able to fix. They're converting it to kilometers!!! Crazy. I have set my goal on my dashboard to 2 miles which is 3.21 km about what I want for minimal distance IN MILES. But, come on Fitbit, fix this! If I set it to 3 miles, I have to go 4.82 miles to meet my goal, because it is taking my 3 miles, setting it to kilometers and calling it miles. I know, this is how NASA missed a planetary landing. Haven't we learned anything!!!

Best Answer

I have the same privet in reverse. My goal is 10 Km per day, but it soars to be counting miles. I have 15.8 Km today, but it still shows that I haven't met my distance goal. 10 miles is 16.1 Km. At my age, I think 10 Km is enough!

Best Answer
0 Votes

*problem

Best Answer
0 Votes