Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distance on GPS map doesn't match with exercise summary

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi all

Firstly love the Fitbit Versa does everything I need also the app is great.

BUT over the last couple of weeks the distance recorded by the app is way off. 

I use it connected to my Samsung Galaxy S9+ and its always been very accurate to a tenth of a mile or less. 

But on my last few runs of about 3.4 miles it can be a whole mile out, but just the distance the route it records is spot on but the mile points are in the wrong place for example it recorded 2.44 miles in 30.29.

My wife who also has a Versa connected to an IPhone recorded 3.43 miles in 30.30 this is correct and matches our pace of about 9.30/m

Prior to the last weeks it has always been almost exactly the same as my wife as we run together. 

I have Re started the Versa and the phone, I have cleared the data in the Fitbit app and I have also uninstalled the fitbit app. 

Same result its not always out the same, a couple of runs back it got to 2.89m on the same route. Then on Tuesday it was spot on. 

Any ideas it seems like a small thing but not having an accurate record of your work turns out to be extremely frustrating.

Anyone else had this? 

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
366 REPLIES 366

@Alexisonfire  I'd return your Versa and find and alternative while you have the option.  I picked up a forerunner 645 Music pfor ~200 quid on Black Friday and I love it, even if their app/web interface is taking a bit of getting used to after using fitbit for a longish time. Other have recommended the forerunner 45 or older versions, all are great for running.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Argos (UK) have the 645 music for £200 at the moment. I went for the forerunner 45 and it is awesome, it does exactly what I need it to do. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yup I'd get it sent back for a refund as quick as you can, they know this issue is happening and dont seem to give a monkeys. It's been happening for months and it's no longer any use for anyone seriously trying to analyse their performance or indeed track their distance accurately, jump ship to Garmin while you still can. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm somewhat buggered as this was a gift and I'd feel awful telling them it's rubbish! How can FitBit be allowed to sell something that doesn't actually do the job it's marketed for? That's the literal definition of misselling, no? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

If it was a gifted then surely they got a gift receipt just in case it wasn't suitable. If you explain to them the problem I'm sure they wouldn't mind you swapping it for a different sports tracker

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ok, so I got the Versa 2 about 4 days ago. I currently use a Samsung Galaxy S9+ through Verizon. I setup the Versa 2 three days ago and took it for a quick 2.5 mile walk, then the next morning a 13 mile walk.

The 2.5 mile walk was spot on distance, and the next morning the first 10 miles. On the 10th mile, my battery died on my phone and it shut off. After charging it 15 minutes I turned the phone and connected GPS back on and after that point the distances have been about 30 percent short. I have spent all day today trying different things, with nothing working.

So I exported 2 of the TCX files (one of them was from the first walk I took which I knew to be correct and a second one that I knew the distance was wrong). I noticed that in the file that had the correct distance, the points were 5 seconds apart. Then on the second file that I knew was wrong, the points are 1 second apart. I am thinking that these points only being 1 second apart may be the root cause of the inaccurate distances and pace. 

Best Answer

Wouldn't have a clue mate, various folk have tried different fixes and supplied endless data to fitbit with no luck and this fix doesn't seem to be coming anytime soon. I started seeing issues back in September and I've seen folk complaining with the same issue earlier than that, best thing I ever did was ditch the Versa and buy something different.

Best Answer

Same here. When I had my Versa I wasted so much time trying to solve the distance problem. Tried every solution suggested but none worked. I'm very sorry I wasted 6 months on the device as I think the worry of not knowing exactly how far I had/was running made me run less than I would've liked. As many people have said it is a disgrace that they would bring out a new Versa without sorting this problem on the original and even worse the problem exists on the Versa 2. I hope Google will sort it out but it's not my problem as I ditched Fitbit in November and I'm happy with my F45 as knowing exactly how far I'm running when running encourages me to keep on going 

Best Answer
0 Votes

So the last 2 days I have had some time to try a few things. In the 4 different connected GPS walks that I have done, I have found out something very interesting.

On 2 occasions I waited for the Versa 2 to say "connected" before starting the exercise, both times the distance claimed by the fitbit was about 20% short.

The other 2 times I would start the exercise before waiting for it to say "connected", both of these were spot on distance. 

Best Answer

I feel your pain!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I ended up returning the versa 2. Luckily I purchased it at Costco which has a 90 day electronics, no ask return policy. I tried everything to get it to work. I purchased a second, second hand ionic which doesn't have a warranty but the gps works, while I was deciding what to do with the versa 2. I really like all of the fitbit app options, tracking, stats, etc., but I decided to pull the plug on the fitbit. I needed a watch that was built a bit tougher, ocr racing, etc. The screen went bad on my first second hand ionic, I replaced the screen, then the unit just failed, wouldn't charge, so i replaced the battery, that didn't work. I bit the bullet and bought a brand new versa 2 and found the gps issue, then got a second ionic. After all of that I went with a second hand garmin fenix 5x, beafier and solid. The app isn't as friendly but I'm getting used to it. I didn't want to find myself without a tracking device again, now that i'm used to watching what i eat and using the stats to improve my health.

Best Answer
0 Votes

LizzyFitbit, you are not reading these posts carefully.   This is not about stride length, nor is it about GPS sensors on a fitbit device.  Like many other customer reporting this problem I am using the GPS on my phone (a Samsung S9 in my case) with my Fitbit device (a Charge 3).  My running route seems to be very accurately recorded, so it's really frustrating to see big variations in the reported distance (between 5.6 and 6.1km in my case) for exactly the same route. 

Also, like many other people, I have the impression it used to be much more accurate but started giving unreliable measurements something last year. 

Best Answer

My cheaper Fitbit was a much better choice!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Jeezo they've still not sorted this, I first saw the issue in September and otherwise had it long before that. Plain to see that Fitbit are still fobbing people off with the same gumf about adjusting stride length etc when this is a GPS glitch on their part.

So glad I jumped ship and went to another smartwatch manufacturer as it's been bang on, the interface app isn't as user friendly but the information I receive back is far superior.

I've run the same 10k route repeatedly with my new watch and its bang on every time, Fitbit was out by 2.5k even though the GPS map was perfect. Either Fitbits tech support is completely inept or they're just not trying to fix it.

Best Answer

Hi all,

Great thread here. I've recently noticed this issue on my versa. I could provide countless screenshots comparing the same runs with different distances, even inside the Fitbit app, but seems like you all have done plenty of that 🙂

In an effort to hopefully finally drive improve/progress, could you all please go to the first post and click if the bug affects you too?I suspect that Fitbit prioritizes fixes based on that.

Moderator edit: format 

Best Answer

Can anyone help me? I have a fitbit blaze and I have exactly the same problem. It was fine until a couple of weeks ago and now the tracking is way way way off. I've got my eye on a Garmin as they don't seem to have anything like the same problems. But I thought I'd give fitbit one last chance to fix it - I've had three attempts on the phone to try and get them to rectify the issue x 

Best Answer

When I am able.  I will ditch my Versa.  I am hugely disappointed in fitbit’s inability to fix the problem!  I hate it because i like the other features, but I wonder if the other features aren’t accurate either

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same issues here. I love Fitbit as a platform and was going to buy an Ionic but think Apple is the way to go unless this is fixed quick. I look at my Versa as i'm running and think i've done 5K but it reports 4.93. This is a walk I did today:

From the app:

IMG_4805.jpg

From the web:

fb walk web.jpg

Best Answer

I haves used Fitbit devices for over 5 yrs and haven’t had a problem with tracking as much as I have had with the Versa 2.  The GPS signaling excuse is not corrected or I would have the same issue with my previous Surge And other lesser trackers.  I’ve had this Versa 2 for 2 months and after each run compare it to my IPhone 11 tracker and it is way off.  It’s not stride or I would have notice that as well with other trackers.  The Surge works fine in tracking.  I replaced it because after 2 years it couldn’t hold a charge for 4 hours (terrible!).  Instead of your products getting better, they are getting worse.  Is there a fix yet, because the trouble shooting recommended isn’t working!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hah!  The heart rate stopping is always a weird one - are we dead is right!! I wished Fitbit would fix the problems!

Best Answer
0 Votes