Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS not tracking on versa

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Getting really frustrated with my versa. Went for a cycle today and set my versa to track it but when I got home half my cycle is missing... WTF! 

See below what it tracked and the purple edit is the parts it did not track, completely skipped it. 

Screenshot_20200426_192014_com.fitbit.FitbitMobile.jpg

Screenshot_20200426_192223_com.snapchat.android.jpg

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 REPLY 1

I have had this problem myself, and successfully corrected it.  It was not a problem with the Versa, but with GPS and the smartphone. 

The tracker does not have GPS.  It gets that from your phone, using the Bluetooth connection.  Sometimes a GPS signal is lost and the software has to interpolate - and that's where that straight line comes from, that cut off half your ride.  Different apps handle it differently, and apps on your phone might also access WIFI signals and cell towers when GPS acts up, so the routes recorded by different apps may look different, but the bottom line is having GPS work as well as possilbe.

I tried the various suggestions you'll see across the internet and here and they didn't really work.  I had to go a step farther: first I cleared the cache partition on my phone ("how" varies for different phones, google it).  It turns out that corrupted cache can cause errors in GPS positioning, at the same place every time.  Clearing it out doesn't hurt anything as far as I know.  Secondly, I downloaded a GPS utility to my phone which clears GPS data and requests an update. I do that when the utility cannot acquire a satellite fix, reboot the phone, and I'm good to go.

A third thing is taking the cover off the phone since apparently a phone case can interfere with GPS.  I've had good results with and without the case though, so I can't say that it is part of a solution but it's another element to be aware of.

Even after all of that, there are still times when GPS is lost due to environmental factors. But now most runs do record the track accurately.

Best Answer
0 Votes