Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HRV Inversely Proportional to Deep Sleep

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi guys,

I've recently started tracking HRV and noticed a direct (inversely proportional) correlation between low deep sleep and high HRV. The lower the deep sleep, the higher the HRV.

Sunday, my deep sleep was 1:23 (74 score, 8:42 sleep time) and my hrv was 20.

Monday, deep sleep was 33mins (86 score, 7:14) and hrv was 41.

Last night deep sleep was 0 (79, 8:10) and hrv was the highest 58. 

Anyone else notice this?

Cheers,

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Hi @8livesleft - HRV while measured at night is also influenced by the amount of exercise and heart health and while there may be an indication that you mention, if you measure it over a longer period it may not always be true.

It is good you find the correlation and are making good use of the information provided and getting the most from your watch. It is the trends that are the most useful information to understanding your health and being alerted to issues.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @8livesleft and welcome to the Community.  My background is physiology.  Looking at deep sleep alone isn't a good predictor of your HRV.  Both deep and light sleep (non-REM sleep) together are broadly associated with a higher HRV.  Psychology Today   Not cause and effect, but broadly associated.

Your observation got me to look at my recent data.  In the last week, I had three nights with exactly the same amount of deep sleep.  And three very different HRV values: 62, 75, and 90 msec.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Wow those are excellent HRV values! 

And you're right it seems like something else is going on since last night my hrv went down to 33 and tonight it went up to 58 again but deep sleep was about equal. 

My rem was higher tonight though; 1:44 vs 51. But I had less light and overall sleep tonight. 

Best Answer
0 Votes