Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is the 7-day total calculated?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I'm confused how the 7-day total is calculated.  Hopefully someone can explain for me.

My current 7 day total is: 63,992

My last 8 days, starting with the oldest, are:

1. 14,049
  2. 6,164
  3. 10,120
  4. 11,531
  5. 12,330
  6. 10,378
  7. 13,438
  8. 11,190

The last 7 days add up to 75,151.  Or, if you ignore today's steps and just use the last 7 full days, the total is 64,572.

What am I missing?

Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

Hi @Piscean

The Fitbit week gives you seven days of your steps. Each day will be different because you lose a day. Your seven days go back from today (Tuesday) to last Monday. Tomorrow last Monday's steps will be gone from your seven days total.

You should be fine, as this is how the Fitbit adds up your steps. You can see your individual days, an entire week or more, if you wish. You can go to the calendar and select any time period to view your steps.

Also, some people begin their week on Monday and some on Sunday.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer
0 Votes

I can't say for sure how it is calculated because I've not had the Versa for 7 days yet. However, the "weekly total" on my dashboard is the sum of all days including today up to now, so it looks as if it is adding up the past six days plus whatever is accrued for today.

On the other hand, the "7-day average" looks to be calculated on seven days to midnight last night. So it's worked out on a different basis to the "weekly total" and doesn't include steps taken today.

Is it possible you copied any of the daily totals wrongly? (That's what usually happens to me Smiley Very Happy)

By the way, when I add up your numbers from 1 (oldest?) to 7 (yesterday?) I get 78010.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just to add, on my dashboard, the "7 day total" shows the same number as the "weekly total". (Sorry if the terminology I used was confusing.)

(I just realised I could have edited my previous post. I'm new here :))

Best Answer
0 Votes

Another possible factor here is that the 7 day total on the friends list only includes those steps that were directly tracked by the fitbit. Any steps from manually logged activities or from syncing to other apps will show on the dashboard but will not be included in the friends list total (or in challenges)

Best Answer
0 Votes

You're right about the last 7 days adding up to 78,010.  Oops. 

I'm guessing you are also correct that the 7-day total is the past 6 days, plus some partial count of today's steps.  But if that's what is happening, it seems odd to display 11,191 for my current step count for the day, but then use some number less than that in the 7-day calculation.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Would you know why daily steps are showing but not being added to the weekly steps where it shows your list of friends and weekly steps?

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is probably caused by a bug with the 7 days steps that fitbit is investigating. Keep an eye on the following thread which has their latest updates on the problem:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Fitbit-com-Dashboard/Friends-Leaderboard-not-updating-updating-slowl...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for the reply and link.

Best Answer
0 Votes