Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Factory Reset a Versa original

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My Versa original started having issues. Not syncing and then went into a reboot loop while on the charging base. I rebooted the Versa and it came up to a red screen showing Data Not Cleared Sync and try again. Nothing worked. It would not sync. I updated the app on my Android phone, restarted the phone, re-paired the Versa in Blutooth settings. I looked up the factory reset 3-button method, but I couldn't get it to work. It would never come up to the logo while still holding the left and upper right buttons. I kept trying and finally was able to get it working.

Here are the steps:
Update the FitBit app to the latest.
Remove the Versa from the FitBit app.
Reset the Versa by holding all 3 buttons, wait for the logo to appear and disappear, then wait 1 second longer before releasing the lower right button.
Continue holding in the two other buttons.
It will display the logo after a few seconds, then the logo will disappear and you will feel a vibration. Wait 1 second after the vibration, then release all buttons.
Reset complete.

In my case, it came up to the familiar Data Not Cleared screen, but I heard a tone from my phone indicating it had paired. Now I was able to re-add the Versa in the FitBit app, update the software on the Versa and it synced normally.

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

You should have first tried the reset data through the settings menu on the tracker. 

The only way, I know of, to get past this data not clear is to do a factory reset. 

A Fitbit OS hardware reset will be needed.

On the watch, hold all three buttons for about twelve seconds. This will trigger the 2-button hardware restart after about eight seconds.

- When the Fitbit logo appears, then disappears, release the bottom right button, whilst continuing to hold the left and top right buttons until you feel a strong vibration. This indicates the factory reset was initiated.

- This process may take several seconds, and eventually, the Fitbit logo appears and the device boots and displays go to Fitbit.com/setup.

- If you fail to release the bottom right button in time or otherwise don't follow the procedure precisely, the Fitbit logo reappears quickly and boots without factory reset.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The Versa was unresponsive and stuck in a boot loop. Impossible to get to the settings menu on the tracker. Rebooting the Versa left it at the Data Not Cleared screen. Again, impossible to get to the settings menu. I tried the button method for the factory reset you mentioned, which is also distributed all over the Internet, but as others have commented, it doesn't work if you follow the instructions exactly. The only way to get it to work is to wait 1 second after the logo dissappears before releasing the lower right button and wait 1 second after the vibration before releasing the other buttons. Releasing buttons immediately after, as the FitBit instructions indicate, does not work.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The instructions posted above or not correct. 

The instructions I posted are correct and many have acknowledged that it does factory reset the tracker. 

If this doesn't work, tap in the top right and choose contact fitbit. 

Best Answer

Rich, I appreciate that you frequent these forums and I think you are trying to be helpful. However, the instructions I posted do work. I have tested them 3 times. The instructions you posted that came from FitBit DO NOT WORK at all as has been stated by several angry FitBit Versa owners who have now vowed to switch to Apple or Garmin. You don't have to search this forum very hard to find them. It is interesting to note that their posts are marked as resolved even though their resolution was to dump FitBit. I guess that is a solution. I posted my successful instructions to help others who run into the same issue and are ready to take a hammer to their Versas. Again, if the Factory Reset instructions from FitBit for the original Versa don't work for you, I urge you to try the instructions I posted rather than listening to the same useless instructions provided on the phone by FitBit customer service.

When a FitBit Versa owner has tested the FitBit instructions more than 20 times and they don't work and other owners have had the same experience, the instructions we were provided by FitBit are apparently not correct for all original Versas. My modification to the instructions was to add a small delay of 1 second in two locations. Without that delay I get the same response as other Versa owners. It hangs while holding in the two remaining buttons after immediately releasing the bottom right button when the logo disappears and never produces the vibration and never restarts. The ONLY way I could get the expected response was with the 1 second delays. Every time. 

FitBit instructions 20+ attemtps with 20+ failures. 100% failure. My instructions 3 attempts with 3 successes. 100% success. Your milage may vary.

Best Answer
0 Votes