Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the Versa 2 battery replaceable or interchangeable?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I've been told that the battery on Versa and Versa 2 cannot be replaced.  Recently on YouTube.com, there were a series of demonstrations showing how to remove and to replace the battery.  The company that did the demo sells the battery for about $15 and also will install it for a fee.  I was wondering if anyone has replaced their battery and how effective it has been.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
120 REPLIES 120

Hi there @Michelleohio, thanks for stopping by and for raising this question. Please note that the battery on your Versa 2 is not replaceable nor interchanged. We as Fitbit do not do it or suggest to do it as it could permanently damage your watch.

Keep in mind that your Versa 2 was designed to last 6+ days, but this also depends on how frequently you use all the features of your watch. Said that, I recommend charging your Fitbit watch with a USB port from a computer or a UL-certified outlet into the wall and then turn off all the features that you don’t use that much.

After following the above suggestion, please check this help article for more tips and recommendations. 

I'll be around if you have any questions present. 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer

Please understand my position.  My Versa was purchased May 21, 2019 and went out of sync in March 2020.  After wasting several weeks working with various reps, I finally told them that I wanted a replacement.  I received that watch towards the end of April.  It lasted ONE WEEK before it died.  I received a Versa 2 as a replacement.  Ten weeks later it suddenly went from needing a charge every four to five days to needing one each night.  I called customer service and they confirmed tht the problem is the battery, but since it was now out of warranty, they washed their hands.  The Versa and the replacements that I have been sent are worthless.  Problem is I love my watch and wish I could find a solution.  This company was my only hope because until Fitbit figures out how to correct the system wide syncing and battery problem, I will not give any money to Fitbit.  While I figure out what company does make a reliable product, I will continue to charge my watch now twice a day.  It is too bad that people like you are forced to try to give hope to the many of us who are dissatisfied with this product.

Best Answer

Hi there @MichelleohioWe acknowledge the limitation we have on our part particularly on what you have experienced. We‘re taking into consideration your comments and sentiments with regards to our products and services.

Please know when a Fitbit device is deemed defective we review eligibility using the one year warranty option. For our full warranty terms and conditions, see our Return Policy and Warranty.

Our products are indeed designed and made to last (this goes for each product component) however, there is not an infallible way to ensure that no issues will be present in the long run. Because of this, our Warranty Policy is set into providing as much coverage as we can.

We understand that the outcome of your case with our Support Team is not fulfilling your expectations, but keep in mind that every case is completely different from the other's, thanks for taking the time to share your experiences and feedback. For more information about the outcome of your case, please get in touch with our Support Team again or you can also check our warranty policies here for a better understanding of the information you were provided.

We'll be around if there's anything else we may do for you in the meantime. 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer

There is no need for me to check further.  I have read the warranty and have appealed.  If my situation was unique, then I would agree that perhaps I got three lemons.  The community pages are filled with concerns regarding syncing and battery draining problems.  You try as nicely as you can to keep giving the same advice that at best works for a brief period of time.  The product has a flaw which is not corrected so we are being made to bare the cost.

I heard back from the company that has posted demos on youtube.com about removing and replacing Versa batteries.  Battery could be purchased for $15 or you could have them do it and ship to you for $70 with a 100 day warranty.  I forgot to ask what the warranty was if you just purchase the battery.   I don't think that I'm going to do it because I'm not techy enough to do it myself and I don't want to put another $70 into a bad product.  I did want to mention it for those who might be able to make the change.  I won't mention the company, but check it out.  I previously asked if anyone has changed the battery, but no one responded except for a fitbit rep who said that the battery can't be replaced.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

Hi Michelleohio, I  also have  Fitbit Versa 2 ( Spent $200) and am facing the same issue battery got dead in just 2 Years and now no use . So am completely agree with you this product must have some flaw , Company must need to support here.thanks 

Best Answer

I too had the EXACT issue.  Purchased the first Versa 2 in 2019 as a Christmas gift for my husband, the screen was malfunctioning thus returned it for another.  The 2nd Versa 2 worked fine at first then the charge would not hold.  He tried all the recommended options but to no avail.  He finally put it in a drawer and gave up.  I, on the other hand, have had the Fitbit Charge FOREVER.  I finally had to throw it away as the screen blacked out.  I decided to pick up the Versa and try it again.  Behold it took a charge... for 8 hrs and then died.  I can't return it, as has been mentioned, the return and warrantee time have expired.  I'm a bit miffed that the watch was hardly used and a replacement battery is not an option, no replacement is offered, and I have to chalk up $250 or whatever I bought it for, and buy something else.  I ended up buying my husband an Apple watch but I am without and am afraid to purchase another Fitbit.   Salutations...

Best Answer

Make that #4 now.  I really liked this product for just under two years.  Then very suddenly, about a week ago, the battery stopped working.  It is so unfortunate that so many people have this same problem.  Is it planned obsolescence?  Does not look very good for the product.

Best Answer

I have had my Versa 2 in a drawer for awhile now as well for issues with the battery draining even though it had very light usage and was a little past the warranty when it began having issues. I feel guilty getting rid of it because my spouse got it for me as a gift, and it still technically works, but is not worth it for me to charge twice a day. The one year warranty is awful for such an expensive product that doesn't have any sort battery replacement option, and seems so wasteful and unfriendly to the environment. 

My husband got this for me specifically because of it's heavily marketed and highly rated battery life. So I don't use mine, I don't want to get rid of it, and I don't want to give any more money to Fitbit. 😞 I know that nobody from Fitbit who responds to these moderated boards has sway over these issues, but I'm still angry about the lack of thoughtfulness regarding this issue, and Fitbit's lackluster tips for customers who fall outside of the warranty.

Best Answer

So I got my fitbit versa 2 in summer of 2019 and it is just now needing to be charged daily, sometimes twice a day. I remember my little hip fitbits charge lasted weeks and I know my watch does a lot more than that little thing did but I still expected the battery life to last longer than a couple years. Idk how often most people buy new fitbits but I wasnt expecting to need a new one for a while and now I'm looking at buying one but I hesitate because of how quickly this one died. Hopefully newer models dont have the same issue, I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Best Answer

I’m having the exact same problem. Just charged my Versa 2 twice today!!! The battery drains so quickly. It used to last almost a week at a time until just recently. I also bought mine in 2019. It sounds like multiple people are having the same problem from around the same time, I wonder if we all got a bad batch? I hope the Fitbit people are paying attention and escalating this potential flaw to the right people internally to take a look because it makes me really sad 😞

Best Answer

+1 battery issue with my Versa 2. The battery lifetime suddenly dropped from lasting 1 week to less than a day. It just happened last Sunday (May 30th, 2021) and I've had my watch since December 2019 when I got it as a Christmas present.

I already contacted Fitbit support and the warranty department will contact me... I expect a favorable outcome from them... I'll tell you how it goes...

Best Answer

Sorry to burst your bubble, but since you are out of warranty, the only thing that you will get from Fitbit is a coupon for a % off of another Fitbit.  It is ironic that there are many of us and dozens of threads with people complaining about the same issue.  The only resolution we get from the moderators is to read about battery saving, and turn off the notifications that you don’t use.  Customer support is no better.  I have made no changes to any of my settings and yet overnight, I went from having great battery life (about 5 days) to having to charge my Versa 2 every 6 hours.  Even then, a full charge at 11:00 p.m. guarantees me a dead battery in the morning.  In one of the earlier threads, someone suggested to turn off the Bluetooth on your phone and manually sync when you need to.  In my case, my  Versa 2 is connected to my iPad, so when I disable Bluetooth, I also disable my Apple Pencil, and Bluetooth keyboard thus rendering my iPad as worthless as my Fitbit.  Seriously, if you can live without the notifications, disabling Bluetooth and manually syncing when you need to will enhance your battery life to normal levels.  I just don’t think that we should have to do that.  Also, I know I’m a little late to the party about replacing your Fitbit battery on the secondary market, but I wouldn’t do it.  I just wonder how long the seal will hold, especially if you swim.  I think you would be throwing good money after bad.  If your Fitbit is truly dead, you would be better off looking for another brand of fitness watch. There are many other nice watches available.

Best Answer

Add me to the list of people who purchased their Versa 2 in December 2019 and suddenly the battery stopped working properly. I was getting at least 4-5 days of battery life before last Saturday and now I’m charging it once, sometimes twice a day. When I contacted customer service their only advice was to remove the third party clock face (that I’d been using for several months without issue). That hasn’t worked and I don’t feel like wasting more time with customer service since I’m out of warranty. I expected more than a year and a half of use out of it for the cost. My husband has a Charge 3 that is probably 3 years old now and it still works fine. I really like all of the features of the Versa 2, but I guess it’s time to start researching alternatives. 

Best Answer

My Versa 2 which was a present from my hubby in March 2020 is now dead.  That’s only 15 mos of use.  Won’t even charge.  Will NOT be buying Fitbit again! 

Best Answer

Also me as well. I got it as a gift in Dec 2019, and have had issues a number of times where it suddenly died when it was confirmed to have a significant charge prior. 

My battery would last ~4 days until about two weeks ago where it dropped to maybe 2. And now it suddenly shut off and won’t turn on when it was confirmed to be 51% just prior. Customer Support agrees I need a replacement but it’s out of warranty. Who would want to purchase another product that breaks so quickly??

Best Answer

Make me #11. I'm incredulous this product, which I love using and wear proudly, is letting me down so horribly. It was a special and expensive (for me) birthday gift that used to go almost a week between charges, and now it has to be charged every other day. I see I have even further battery degradation to look forward to with zero company support.

I'll try replacing the battery myself when it gets really bad, but I will never waste money on a Fitbit product again. 

Best Answer

I too bought my versa 2 in 2019 and it needs charging daily after one year. I finally gave up on it and got a generic tracker watch does everything FB does and battery lasts weeks. Fitbit is junk! 

Best Answer

I have the same problem. My Versa2 is 15 months old, so out of warranty. The charge suddenly went from 4 days to under 8 hours - useless to have to constantly charge it. I have no apps or power-draining clock faces and am reluctant to turn off email and text notifications as those are useful and important and one of the features I really enjoy. 
Clean the contacts and use a computer USB port? That’s all you’ve got Fitbit?
Very disappointed. 

I will eventually buy a real smart watch to replace it. My mistake. 

Best Answer

Ive since canned my Fitbit and use a (Amazon) Letscom watch, does everything my FB did and battery is weeks. My hub did same. I will never buy another FB product. 

------------------------------------------------------

Btw my hubs had his Letscom watch 2+ years and no battery problems. 

Best Answer