Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RESOLVED: Steps count increase while charging Fitbit Versa

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 9/09

Hi, Versa Fam! 

Thanks so much for your patience while our team continues to investigate and work on this issue. We're still working on this and I hope to have more information for you all very soon. 

As soon as there is a fix in place, I will make sure to announce that here. Please stay tuned and subscribed to this thread for updates. 

Fitbit Update: 7/25

Hey, everyone!

I know many of you are wondering what the status on this bug is and I'm here to reassure you this is still being worked on by our team. For anyone still getting ghost steps on their Versa's, we are definitely working towards a fix. I don't have a timeline for when the fix will be released, so I appreciate everyone's patience for the time being. I recommend if possible, placing your Versa on a different flat surface without any vibrations to prevent the extra steps. 

Fitbit Update: 6/21

Hi, everyone!

Sorry to hear that some of you are accumulating unwanted steps while charging your Versa's. Thank you for taking the time to report this issue here on the forums. Our team is aware of this affecting some of you and is working towards a fix on a future firmware release.

Thanks for your patience for the time being. Smiley Happy

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
602 REPLIES 602

I am sorry you feel I have a tone, I was truly just trying to assist you.  Again my apologies if I offended you.  And you are right, it does not make it any less shady.

Best Answer

Also it's no just ghost steps. It's a miscommunication between the app and the random steps. App says 455 my watch says 7500. Glad the watch is working for you, but most people are having issues. If I'm going to pay $200 it better work, or admit the product is faulty and let me pay the difference for an Iconic. Idc I just want a device that works 

Best Answer

I understand and also stand with you.

Best Answer
Then no worries! Sorry for thinking you had a tone. I'm just sad my Fitbit
is rebelling lol 😞
Best Answer

I and many also agree with you, it is your right to pay for something and get what you are promised! It is truly a downside to this company that so many helped it grow.

Best Answer

The statement "most people" are having problems has no justification.  I have no idea how may Versa's have been sold, however, there are many people that have never had an issue.  I do agree that the answers are disheartening, but some of the watches, at least, seem to work.

I have never seen an issue and I pre-ordered mine when they were first announced.  The only model I have ever had issues with was the Blaze, which, after an update started low counting steps, after three replacements Fitbit refunded me my money and I had already purchased a Charge 2.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I do find it curious that people who have had their Versa watches replaced by Fitbit seem to be finding that the replacements have the same problem. One possibility is that they are being given replacement watches that had been returned (maybe for the same reason, ie ghost steps). Another possibility is that the factor that causes the ghost steps is not the watch itself. It would be useful to know the make and model and OS version of the phones being used when watches give ghost steps. If people could supply that info, others with the same phones could then comment on whether their experience is the same or different. That would help track down whether the choice of phone is an issue or not.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10
Best Answer
0 Votes
My phone is a galaxy noteS8 android
Best Answer
0 Votes
My phone is a Nokia 6, with no Versa ghost step issues as best I can tell, just some issues with notifications not reaching the watch in a timely fashion, ie it seems a bit lazy on doing Bluetooth syncs frequently, despite All-Day Sync being enabled, but those delays don’t seem to have any adverse impact on step-count etc.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I do not wear my watch at night because I don’t see the need and seeing what my sleep cycle is like. Last night I had it sitting on the bedside table and this morning I woke up with 10,777 steps. I can guarantee I did not walk that many steps while I was sleeping. I will be returning my versa because this issue is absolutely ridiculous and because of this I will no longer buy Fitbit products.
Best Answer
0 Votes

My phone is Samsung Galaxy 6 Edge Plus. I got thousands upon thousands of ghost steps all day long on 4 different Versas. Argued enough the agreed to refund my purchase. I am now waiting for my refund to show up...

Best Answer
0 Votes
Did you buy your Versa directly from Fitbit? They told me that I could not get a refund because I did not buy directly from them. I can also not get an alternate device. Additionally I was told that my warranty expires in April and it will not be extended regardless if I have a working device at that time.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I bought mine from Argos in the UK. I used my credit card. The credit card company will help if the goods are over £100 and not fit for purpose. At least in the UK. Not sure about the US. (I am not returning mine because I have been lucky and don’t have the ghost steps problem.)

Best Answer
0 Votes

I bought mine from Fitbit.com, US Area.  I do not have my watch hooked to my iPhone 8 Plus, I do have it syncing with my IPad.  I do not need my personal notifications coming through the watch, I use it strictly for steps and heart rate. I believe I paid more then I actually need however not sure if that is why it is not giving me ghost steps. I do not work for Fitbit, I don’t know how to create the software for the watch or app, but they do and need to correct these issues.  Kind of surprised this is happening knowing that most companies do beta tests and they never saw this. Blows my mind.  I again am watching closely and hope all that have these ghost steps, which are not a few hundred but thousands will get a refund immediately, if they don’t fitbit is doing an unjust to those that helped support their company.

Best Answer
0 Votes
When I got my first Versa I had a Samsung Note 5. I have upgraded to a
Samsung 8 Active. I had the same problem (ghost steps) with both phones.
As I mentioned in an earlier post I tried charging my Versa using my lap
top. The first time I got no ghost steps but on the third time I began
getting the extra steps again.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Your response is part of a substantial body of information in this forum now. I wonder if the forum info is fed to the developers, and if so, then in what form. If I were a developer, I would spare a bit of time occasionally to skim such info for clues, if they are needed, or I would ask a moderator to summarise it concisely first. If I were a developer. But I am retired now, and happy to be.

The modern trend with development is to engage leading-edge customers in the development process, the way (eg) that Microsoft runs its Windows Insider program. Where I last worked, we did that kind of thing. It gives the opportunity to iron out problems as early as possible, ie while they are inexpensive to fix. Perhaps Fitbit have such a programme. If they don’t, they should!

Without quantifying the info in the forum, I would guess that the choice of Android phone brand and model is not a factor in the ghost step problem. That’s the kind of information that even an informal collection of info can yield. There are other things that could be found out, for example by asking forum participants if their ghost step problem is dependent in any consistent way on the location at which they charge their phone, eg if they are away somewhere else, say in a hotel room or conference centre, do they hit the same problem, or is the behaviour different. If I were a developer, I might be asking for such info, unless I already know what the problem is. Sometimes being a developer can involve detective work like this, and knowing how to make the most out of clues. I used to do a lot of that in my own work. It was great fun, and the bit I miss.

So just to summarise the possibly useful bit here: Does anyone find that the problem manifests in some charging locations but not others? Or do they find the location has a random (ie no) influence?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I was thinking the same exact thought.  There are lots of technically competent engineers who have FitBit products.  I am thinking there is a EMI/RFI susceptibility issue because some people have the Versa's with no problems and others have multiple issues involving multiple Versa's with people going thru 4 devices with similar ghost step issues.  Some possibilities include defective/counterfeit/cheap chargers ("wall warts"), proximity to RF transmitters such as WiFi routers and devices, cordless phones, HAM radio, CB, AM/FM and TV broadcast transmitters, cell phone towers, airport and weather RADARs, malfunctioning microwave ovens, "touch" lights, other consumer devices that transmit such as baby monitors, alarm systems, etc.  Even some LED light bulbs can cause excess interference.  

If you have a Versa that is experiencing ghost steps when getting charged take a look around the charging area.  Us HAM radio operators find this stuff all the time interfering with our radio equipment.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I make it a habit now to leave my Versa in an area where it shouldn't feel
any vibration. It worked for a while but a few days ago I woke up and saw
nearly 2000 steps on the device. I'm not sure how that was possible. But I
guess I'll just keep focused on the actually miles and not steps.
Best Answer
0 Votes
How pathetic it is to have consumers, users, regardless of past technical expertise offering workarounds, device and charging tests and whatever, all in an attempt to have a working product. Why should anyone have to do this?

While the intent is good and the advice and conjuring interesting, it is symptomatic of the problems Fitbit has thrust onto consumers with little good faith effort to effectively solve the issues. And there are multiple issues...step tracking, sleep stage recording, heart rate recording, water resistance and others. Seems different Versas breakdown in different ways, while very few are immune.

The point being it seems strange to ask what this or that Versa owner does that seems to correct this or that problem, while the core issues remain. And history seems to suggest breakdowns occur after weeks or even months of use.

Those that offer suggestions and their talents are admirable and doing their best to help others, but it is the Fitbit designers, coders and customer service people who should be doing so and not offering the stale suggestion to reboot.

I once bought a riding lawnmower and had to do work on a tire. When done I found the mower would not go into gear. On line I found this was a common occurrence because of a small metal rod that is located in the axle. Changing the tires often results in that little rod falling out. I then found the rod, which had fallen out, and replaced it and the lawnmower worked.

This is different than what is going on with the versa. The issues are not the result of something the consumer does incorrectly or is ignorant about, and thus corrected with simple informative suggestions. Fitbit needs to own the issue and make a statement about it, and not wait, delay, until some wizard consumer does their work for them.
Best Answer

I got ghost steps both on and off the charger. I charged it in many different locations at home and in many different hotels. (I travel a lot for work). No matter... I always got ghost steps. At differing times all day long and over night. I got ghost steps while wearing the Versa and if I took it off and set it on the table. Tens of thousands of ghost steps with 4 different Versa's. I got ghost steps sitting in a quiet room with no vibrations and I didn't move my arm an inch. There really wasn't anything I could determine that was causing it. I even sat it on top of a fan for about 15 minutes to see if it would really trigger it... It didnt... during that 15 minutes of sitting on top the fan (with the fan on high) did NOT produce any ghost steps. So frustrating... 

Best Answer
0 Votes