Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SUCCESS! Versa set up via mobile hotspot not WiFi!!

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I am beyond thrilled. I came home to find my Fitbit in my mailbox and almost didn’t even open it tonight.  It was a long day and I didn’t feel like struggling with setting this up and didn’t want to be disappointed if it didn’t work.  I have been reading a lot of the problem threads on here and have myself had zero success setting up the Aria 2 via mobile hotspot so I wasn’t optimistic about the Versa.

well guess what?  It turned on as soon as I took it out of the box (with 50% charge, nice!), immediately synced to my phone, then proceeded to immediately recognize my phone hotspot as an internet connection, CONNECTED TO IT (after I entered my password), and then promptly downloaded and installed the set up software and was done in less than half an hour. !!  This is without WiFi.  Completely on 4G cellular via an iPhone 6.  It may have gone even faster if I had turned on LTE.

i can’t believe it.  I put it on for a minute and looked through the features but won’t be wearing it until I get a screen protector.  I can totally see this getting all scratched and messed up and that would be so sad.

i am in love.  I don’t care if notifications might not work (bad enough getting them on my phone), i’m not even going to turn them on.  I might not download music, either, because I don’t have wireless headphones and don’t particularly want to spend the $.  Everything else I LOVE.  Well, actually... it could be a little heavier just to make it feel more substantial and the lavender SE band is a little disappointing.  I thought it would be more like nylon fabric/canvas.  It’s more plastic-y and the color is more variegated & bold than I thought it would be (it’s lavender and peach-ish, not lavender and white/grey like I thought it was from the pictures).  

But that is MINOR, of course.  I can get a different band.  Holding out hope they’ll activate the O2 sensor soon.  That would just make it absolutely perfect.

And hey even if this craps out tomorrow and decides not to connect at least in I had a pleasant experience tonight because I really needed it!  🙂  Wish I could wear it to bed but too afraid of scratching it!

Best Answer
11 REPLIES 11

Oh wow, well done! I didnt realise you would be able to do that with hotspot! Enjoy it!

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

Update:  two full days of use, two nights of sleep, and it hasn't done anything weird or “crapped out” on me.  I really love it!  The stats are comparable to my Alta HR so it seems mostly accurate.

I have been able to download all apps and clockfaces via my phone’s cellular connection EXCEPT the Fitbit labs pet clockface.  I suspect they purposefully block that from being downloaded on anything but WiFi, which is silly because I should be able to decide if I want to use the data and take the time to download via cellular.  Maybe I can download it at work.  Would rather have it as an app, anyway!  Maybe someone will make it.  The Treasure Trek app is pretty cute.  Overall very happy with my purchase!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Mothrasue But as far as the Versa is concerned it’s still using WiFi, it’s using WiFi to connect to the hotspot on your phone rather than WiFi to your home router. The only difference is the connection out to the internet your phone using cellular and home router using wired.

You should be able to get the pets clock face with your phones hotspot switched on, the Versa should connect via WiFi to your hotspot and download the clock face.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Now I’ve had my Versa for about two weeks I wanted to update again.  I still LOVE it.  I really hope people aren’t discouraged from buying one by the problem posts on the forum.  It still has almost 5 stars on Amazon so the majority of people must be having a mostly good time with it otherwise it would be showing up there, for one.

one thing I was a little unsure about was notifications.  People seemed to be having so many problems I decided to turn them on to see if mine worked.  Well, for the longest time the notifications wouldn’t buzz or pop onto the screen, I had to swipe down to see them.  Turns out it was user error.  Since I didn’t  really care about them I probably could have figured it out sooner, but last night I stumbled across the fix (for me).  Hold down the left button and there you can choose to turn notifications on/off.  So apparently it’s  a multi-multi-step process— not just in your phone settings and app, but also on the Versa itself.  Maybe that’s already common knowledge but I wanted to share in case it might help other people.  My Versa buzzed and a text popped up for the first time this morning and it was exciting, I might just keep notifications on 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi ~ How does it track your sleep? Do you get detailed sleep or basic sleep?

I am on the fence about buying the Versa. I really want to upgrade to it... it looks awesome but I have my doubts... I'm having issues with the Charge 2 giving me sleep details and I am seriously thinking of just leaving Fitbit behind and getting something else. If I can't have sleep details on Fitbit why bother buying another? Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

The Versa has tracked my sleep with the detailed report everyday I’ve had it with only one exception—one day it only gave me the simple report and that’s because I had the band too loose and it couldn’t get enough HR readings.  I was really afraid it was the start of problems but nope, i just tightened the band the next night and it’s back to normal.

The sleep auto start times and wake times are spot on and the stages seem pretty accurate, too, as far as I can tell just from how I “feel”.

I had an altar HR before the Versa and really liked it, the HR and detailed sleep tracking worked great.  Maybe it’s  your specific Charge with an issue, or perhaps your band isn’t tight enough, etc?  Did you try editing your sleep log to be one minute before or after the start/wake times?  That helped me once with the Alta.  It initially gave me a simple record but then after slightly editing the record the details popped up.

i would absolutely recommend trying the Versa!  You can always return it if it’s not what you want.  If you buy through Fitbit they have a 45 day return policy which is great.  I got mine through Best Buy because I didn’t want to wait for the Fitbit backorder, and the return window is much shorter so im really glad I haven’t had any problems.

i can’t believe I love this thing as much as I do.  I had the One and the original Fitbit for many years and never thought I would like a wristband.  But I do!!  In any case, I would say go for it! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I cant wait to try this tonight. I have been unsuccessful getting my Versa to connect to WiFi. I keep getting a wrong password error. But if it sees my phone as a HotSpot then I should be using that password. The FitBit tech could not help me. Wish me luck!!!

Best Answer

It worked. My Versa did connect to my phone as a hotspot thank you so much for the info.

Best Answer

How do I connect it to my hotspot on my iPhone please? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

What have you tried so far to get it to work?

Best Answer
0 Votes

how do i do that with a dumb android ? 😞 ive tried connecting to my own hotspot but its like it instantly disconnects... and the only wifi i have got is useless cuz its web authetication... i need help

Best Answer
0 Votes