Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I buy a FitBit? Is it worth the investment?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I’ve been a customer of Fit Bit for a few years now and have had nothing but a disappointing experience.

I’ve had every model from the Charge to the Versa 3 and think people should be aware of the major pitfalls of this brand before purchasing.

1) they always malfunction. Usually within the warranty period (every one of my devices became heavily inaccurate and had tech issues at the 8-9 month mark)

2) continuous problems even with a replacement. If you are in the warranty and they deem it ‘acceptable’ to have a replacement sent to you, they send a refurbished factory re set pebble which tends to have the same issues sooner than 8 months as well as be faulty in other areas such as the insert being broken on the pebble where the strap fits in. 
3) the customer service is shocking. Over time it’s been easier to get in touch with Fit Bit. But whenever you want to speak to a tech or assistant, you are advised to search for yourself on community forums for an answer. They also do not have any formal complaints procedures and advise you to complete a ‘satisfaction survey’ at the end of the conversations. 
4) the features aren’t that amazing. They draw you in with the promise of smart technology, however, it’s not all that. The features of even the more advanced watches are very basic and don’t hold up to the growing abilities of fitness tech. 

All of these scenarios have happened to me for the past three years with 4 different Fit Bit models/devices. My advice to anyone researching whether to invest in a Fit Bit…don’t. Look elsewhere for a fitness/health tracker. I wish I’d have found an honest and thorough breakdown of the issues you might face with the brand. Invest in Polar, Samsung, Apple…just anything but this. I made the mistake of sticking with them because other watches came with a big price tag. But it’s not worth all the money I’ve wasted buying these devices. I hope this helps someone make an informed decision whether it’s seen as a rant or valuable insight. 

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

Perhaps, after you have switched to one of the other brands you recommend and stayed with it for a year or 2, you can come back and give us an update on your experience, to verify that your new choice doesn't have any of the same problems, and there are no other issues that Fitbit did handle better than new brand.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer

Totally agree , I had my first fitbit in 2015 had a break in 2018 had my daughter 2019 and decided I wanted to get a fitbit again as it was fab back then , brought the luxe 2 weeks ago and the sleep score and stages and stress wouldnt work for me , tried everything , took it back swapped for versa 2 and exactly same issues , went back a 3rd time got talked into trying the versa 3 and well day 4 today and I've taken it back after the features would not work for me , I got my father to wear it to bed and everything worked for him , not sure why , guessing it's more sensitive to some people , it put me right off I was not going to try the sense as I think it wouldve done the same , so I ordered the Samsung galaxy 4 watch with my sister had owned , I will write a update on my thread once it arrives and see how that is , I cant fault customer service via there Facebook as they tried to help but guess the issue is the fitbit didnt like me , shame really but what can we do 

Best Answer

Heh.  I was just coming on to the community site to post about my general disappointment with my fitbit(s).

My first was a Versa for both my wife and myself.  Shortly after warrantee expired, both just bricked.  There are many many posts about the same thing happening to others.

Disgusted, I tried a Samsung smart watch.  It had some good features (the ability to customize nearly every panel,) but ultimately I didn't like it because it was so bulky.

Grudgingly, I bought a Versa 3, and have been irritated ever since.  The stupid "button" is nearly impossible to press.  On my last run, it accurately tracked me on the way out, but on the way back it lost its mind and added a mile into my distance.    The phone app is terrible.  And they bug you incessantly to upgrade to a paid subscription in order to get access to functionality you've already paid for in the watch.

Best Answer

My Versa 3 was a gift in July. 2 weeks later it quit. I had to reinstall it. Worked "fine" afterward, until this past weekend (it's 4 months old now). The face I paid for showed for 2 seconds, then  changed to a plain one. Did it quite a few times.

Customer service via Messenger is fast, and I am generally pleased with them on that. And yes, they do send web links.

My first FitBit's face went striped--yes, striped--at 15 months, and totally went black a few months later.

I went to the doctor and the nurse had a Versa 3. She said she'd had to reinstall it THREE times.

Yes, even the salesman where my Mom bought this Versa 3 said it's too bad they don't last. 

And they don't.

If you're wondering about purchasing any Fitbit watch, GO ELSEWHERE.

Best Answer

I’ve had mine for close on 12 months , it has already been replaced once and due to other issues it’ll probably be replaced yet again …..

So if asked if I’d buy knowing what I now know ……not a chance ; it’s rubbish . 

I’m my opinion the coding and hardware have been rushed to market before robust r and d practice has been completed . 

Best Answer