Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suddenly Versa isn't tracking sleep correctly

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

After using my new Versa with no problems for 5-6 days, it suddenly began recording the times that I fall asleep inaccurately.  I usually go to sleep around 10-10:30 PM but for the last three nights it shows data only from 3AM until I wake up around 6 to 7 AM and in one case ended abruptly after a few hours. I can't seem to find a way to correct this by changing settings.  If it were a computer, I would reboot it but I hate to lose any data that has not been saved.  Recommendations will be greatly appreciated. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
13 REPLIES 13

Hey @blondlady, it is great to see new members around! Let me give you a hand on this, please restart your Versa by following the instructions in this post. Don't you worry, because the restart won't delete any data from your Versa. Then wear it for a few nights and let me know how it goes! 

I'll be around! 

Heydy | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for you suggestion.  I tried it and you were right that data was not lost but it didn't fix the problem.  I realized that I had started wearing my Versa in one looser notch on the wrist band.  When I went back to one tighter notch, the problem disappeared.  So, I was loosing contact with Versa during the night.  Thus, the sleep data was actually not recorded during this time. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m actually sorry to hear this. I’m having the same problem, I’ve tried the same things but I don’t have a simple answer (although I checked just in case.)

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for your input fidslady! I tried tightening the wrist band a notch and it has reduced the problem but just last night it switched off for 2 hr. in the middle of the night and then came back on. If this continues, I will contact FitBit directly and see about a refund.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey @blondlady, thanks for your response! Sounds great that your Versa is tracking your sleep stages now. I appreciate you have followed the tips I posted about wearing it tighter, so it can get better heart rate readings. 

@FidsLady, welcome aboard! Did you try to wear your Versa tighter? If you haven't please give it a try. Also. I'd like you to review the factors that might be affecting your sleep stages, in this helpful article. 

Let me know the outcome guys! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is a known issue with the versa. There are several threads on here about inaccurate sleep tracking, missing chunks of sleep or missing detailed sleep stages. There has been no fix for it and none of the strategies proposed by moderators work for many versa users. I'm seriously considering returning mine because sleep tracking as the main feature I appreciated with my blaze, which worked great for over a year. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey @Jerimennifer, it is great to see you around more often! I'd like to further assist you with this, so I'd like to know if you have tried the tips in this help article: What should I know about sleep stages? to improve your sleep and sleep stages tracked. However, if the issues persist, I can go ahead and escalate your case with our Support team so they can further assist you. 

Keep me posted! 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes, I read the article. I had a Blaze for over a year, so I'm familiar
with the way sleep tracking is supposed to work. Within a week of getting
my versa, it was missing large chunks of my sleep two nights in a row,
showing I was going to sleep two hours later than I was and waking up
earlier. If I corrected the sleep times, the stages look accurate, and
missing sleep periods show deep sleep, REM, etc. So it's just not using the
data correctly to indicate that I'm sleeping. From the online forums, it
appears that many versa users are having similar issues, but if there's a
fix, I'd love to find out what it is.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for your response Jenmenifer.  After struggling with this issue for a couple of months, I believe the problem is mechanical rather than electronic or digital.  In my case, the Versa is just too big for my wrist.  I am a small women 5'3" and about 110 lbs. Not only does it look funny stylistically but I think it is the cause of my problem. 

I am a restless sleeper (hence my interest in tracking my sleep patterns in the first place) and I believe that sometimes the Versa edges or band gets caught in the sheets disengaging the back of the devise from from my wrist, which interrupts the recording, which may or may not reengage later resulting in an incomplete record or worse yet two separate records for one night. I wear it with the band as tight as I can and have the excess tab secured near the end by the loop/prong devise on the band.  In my case, the data seems to be lost and can't be recovered by resetting the sleep times. Maybe this explanation will be relevant to some of the many others who have had the same experience.

I am very disappointed in the Versa because I had such a good experience with an earlier Fitbit model that slipped into a small pocket on a small wrist band.  This has been an expensive experience and the Versa is now occupying a spot in my jewelry box.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I replied to your post, but didn't hear back. Oddly, the sleep tracking seems to be working the last few nights, but I and concerned that I may keep it beyond when I can return it to the seller and that the problem will continue. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Did you try it on your opposite wrist?  I have had mine two weeks and am still debating on whether I should keep it.  But it had issues recording sleep on my one wrist but works fine on the other.  It is a pain switching it over at night, but worth it.  I have also seen bands that are all full of holes which can be made smaller, maybe you could find one of these?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for your suggestions!  I wear it as tight as I can stand it (the 3rd tightest hole in the standard Versa band but I haven't tried my dominant hand.  I'll let you know how it works.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry, but I don't see another response from you yesterday.  Can you send it again.  Tx

Best Answer
0 Votes