Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versa 2 Update?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Just set up my Versa 2 today. No updates are available. I am on 35.70.7.14. I just saw a Fitbit article from January 2020 saying there was an update for the Versa 2 under 35.70.7.21. How is this possible?

After checking, Fitbit says there's 35.70.8.0. When am I getting these updates and how do I check?

Just your ordinary person... I think? I own the Versa 2 and my phone is the Google Pixel 4 XL running Android 11.
Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I think the way updates work these days is that when a new update is available a small portion of it is downloaded each time you sync. When the update has been fully downloaded the app will prompt you to install the update. Depending on how often you sync this can take a day or two so it's worth waiting a while to see if the update appears.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
9 REPLIES 9

I think the way updates work these days is that when a new update is available a small portion of it is downloaded each time you sync. When the update has been fully downloaded the app will prompt you to install the update. Depending on how often you sync this can take a day or two so it's worth waiting a while to see if the update appears.

Best Answer

Thank you so much, Steve! That would 100% explain it.

Just your ordinary person... I think? I own the Versa 2 and my phone is the Google Pixel 4 XL running Android 11.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@DannyTheGeek and @SteveH -

From one Geek (more later) to another...

I just activated a new Versa 2 yesterday (an in-warranty replacement).

The time to download over wi-fi and then to install firmware version 70.7.14 (with both steps clearly labeled as such within the iOS app) were very similar to the download and installation times the last time I took an update on my previous Versa 2.

Now I will admit that in the past, including within the last 60 days, firmware and iOS app update notifications are sent out to subscribers over a period of days, sometimes as long as two weeks. In a post on the iOS board the last week of July, I believe, a moderator mentioned that iOS release 3.26.1 was at a 10% rollout. <<looking>> Actual quote was "Hi everyone - 3.26.1 has been released to 10% so far". The staggered rollout ten percent here and 10 percent there is obviously to spread of the load on the FitBit servers.

The above is the only scenario where I have heard of partial roll out and even then it is a full application/firmware rollout to a portion of the total iOS application public. I have never heard of incremental downloads of discrete firmware or applications. As an Enterprise Computer "dude" for over 40 years, the thought of downloading pieces of an app over a period of time and then "unzipping" them on thousands of individual platforms and depending on everything to work out for every user is downright scary.

RETIRED Enterprise Computing / "IT Guy" - Southern California - Marine Staff Sergeant 1970-78
Apple Watch 6 - iPhone 8 (iOS 16.6) - FitBit app 3.87 - MacBook Air (macOS Catalina)
Best Answer

It does sound like a scary process but I can see the benefit of avoiding a lengthy download process when an update is triggered.

The only place I have found where Fitbit refer to this process is this comment:

"Leave on all-day sync and let the Fitbit app run in the background on your phone, which allows a small portion of the firmware update to download to your Fitbit device each time you sync."

From this help file: https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1871.htm?Highlight=update

What does confuse me is which models this applies to. The help file does not mention specific models but I doubt it applies to some of the older ones.

Best Answer
0 Votes

After the near 2 weeks, I am still on the same firmware version. Odd, but I'm sure it will arrive soon.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Update: I just found out Version 35.71.6.19 is out. I am still stuck on 35.70.7.14 after 2 weeks.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Final response: Today, September 3rd, 2020, after a few weeks, I was asked to update my Fitbit Versa 2 to the latest version (35.71.6.19).

Best Answer
0 Votes

@DannyTheGeek -

They must hate Geeks - I received my notice for the 71.6.19 version today, as well. And on another thread it was claimed to be a 100% complete rollout.

RETIRED Enterprise Computing / "IT Guy" - Southern California - Marine Staff Sergeant 1970-78
Apple Watch 6 - iPhone 8 (iOS 16.6) - FitBit app 3.87 - MacBook Air (macOS Catalina)
Best Answer

Yes, I also saw that. Oh well, it's here! Thank you for all your help.

Best Answer
0 Votes