Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versa 2 cannot setup on a child account

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Just a heads up that after going through numerous screens having to exit out of the app to avoid a forced sign in on Amazon Alexa, I found out that the Versa 2 can not be setup with a child account.

Shame on Fitbit for not putting a minimum age on the packaging. This wasted a good hour of my time when they could have told me on the packaging or the initial screen that said I needed to setup a parent account. 

Obviously Fitbit found it more important to gather data (that they can later sell and profit from) than sell their product. This will be returned immediately. Fitbit you lost out on a sale and this is very unethical behaviour. 

I have read that this is due to US privacy restrictions and I can almost guarantee that is a bunch of bogus. Yes there are privacy restrictions, but it would just require Fitbit to build these restrictions into their software. Instead they decided to not do it and hope parents just fake the age so they can gather data on your children.

Shame on you FitBit!

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
12 REPLIES 12

First off its the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act  (COPPA) that prevents any one under 13 to get an account.

Also if you did some research on the site first you would of seen that the only tracker made for a child is a Ace.

The Versa contain a lot of things I dont think a child would use in the first place.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes
I bought this watch in store. I looked at the packaging and it did not
mention any age restrictions. I did not do any research online as I was
shopping in a retail store.

I am aware of COPPA and it doesn't prevent children under 13 from having an
account. They have you create an account for children for their Versa
product. Apple allows you to create accounts for children. It prevents them
from gathering and selling data on those children. Which would require
software modifications and probably data audits that apparently FitBit was
not willing to make.

if they can make it work on one device, I find it hard to believe they
can't make it work on another device.
Best Answer

Hi @WendyB , nice to see you back. Thank you for your help on this thread. 

Hello @jkinsman , a warm welcome to the Community! Thanks for your question and feedback.

Similar to many online services, our Terms of Service don't allow customers who are under the minimum age to create standard Fitbit accounts. The minimum age is 13 (customers in the EU may have different minimum age guidelines based on their country).

If you want to create an account for your child, please consider Fitbit Ace 2, which is designed for kids 6 and up, or Fitbit Ace, which is designed for kids 8 and up. See www.fitbit.com/ace2 and www.fitbit.com/ace.  

Also, regarding you concerns about the information gathered. We believe in being transparent about our data practices and work hard to keep your data safe. 

Please review our Privacy Policy at https://www.fitbit.com/legal/privacy-policy. There you’ll learn about the data we collect, how we use it, the controls we give you over your information, and the measures we take to keep it safe. To learn about recent updates to the policy, see: help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/2243.

Therefore is the Family account available now, so that parents can have all control of the child's data, friends request, etc. 

Please have a look at these articles.

How do I manage my Fitbit family account?

How do I get started with Fitbit kids devices?

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Happy holidays 

JuanFitbit | Community Moderator, Fitbit. Hat dir mein Beitrag geholfen dann markier ihn als Lösung und gib mir Kudos !! Habt ihr Tipps um fitter zu werden? Lifestyle Discussion forum.

Best Answer

When you’re shopping for a 10 or 11 year old girl who has her period, the female health tracker is a great thing. Tweenagers don’t want the kiddos watch. Such an easy fix yet Fitbit doesn’t recognize the need/ importance of balancing privacy with usefulness. C’mon Fitbit you can do better!

Best Answer

Hi @Linzy24 , thank you for your reply and feedback. I understand and can get our point of view! 

I found this Feature Suggestion, that might be interesting for you.  Please have a look at it , and if you like it, don't forget to leave your vote. 

Girl / tween period tracker

If you cannot find any suggestion made to your idea, you can always open a new idea here. I suggest you to add all the information and details you wish on the feature or product, so that our team knows exactly what you are asking for. 

Please let me know if you need more assistance.

JuanFitbit | Community Moderator, Fitbit. Hat dir mein Beitrag geholfen dann markier ihn als Lösung und gib mir Kudos !! Habt ihr Tipps um fitter zu werden? Lifestyle Discussion forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just found myself in this same situation. If still true in 2023, it's weak, weak sauce.

Best Answer

Just confirmed with the support that the Versa 2 will not work with a child's account. This entire experience has been a very disappointing waste of time. Ironically, It's at nearly the same time three years ago (Christmas Eve) that the original post by @jkinsman was posted. I'm guessing that was a bummer of a Christmas gift too.

At the very least, they should put "Ages 13+ only" prominently on the box, but after three years, probably not gonna happen. I just hope this thread finds the next chump before they waste their time and money trying to get a Versa 2 to work as a Christmas gift for a child.

Best Answer

Wow, this is worse than I though. My daugher is 14 and still cannot add Versa 2 from under a child account. So its not 13+ but 14+? 

Best Answer

Hello @Andras99 and welcome to the Community.  Unless you are in a country with stricter child internet privacy laws, you can upgrade her account to a standard account.  Upgrading an account should keep all her Ace stats and badges.  Please see this post for more help.  I don't have personal experience.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

This is just awful. Never did I consider that a fitness tracker would not work for a 11 year old.

He spent with his own money and now he can't use it.  I guess we need to change his age. That is much safer.... 

Best Answer

Same has just happened to my son 😞

Best Answer

I just decided to let him wear the fitbit but under my account.

Best Answer
0 Votes