Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versa 2 is tracking steps when I'm not moving

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

All of a sudden my Fitbit Versa 2 is tracking steps when I am sitting and watching TV. Every time I raise my hand it counts a step. I have owned it for 2 years and this is new. Any help out there?

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi there, @Chocoqueen. Welcome to the Community Forums. Thanks for the details provided in your post about the issue with your Versa 2.

As @Guy_ has recommended, please restart your Versa 2.

Always keep in mind that Fitbit devices have a finely-tuned algorithm for step counting. The algorithm is designed to look for intensity and motion patterns that are most indicative of people walking and running. When working at a desk, cooking, or performing other activities with arm movements, a device on your wrist may add some steps. When you’re doing activities that involve arm movement—such as working or cooking—you often walk a few steps in-between stationary periods as well, so the device tries to give you credit for those steps. For most customers, the number of extra steps added by arm-based movement isn’t significant when compared to your overall stats. For more information, see: How does my Fitbit device calculate my daily activity?

Additionally, please confirm the following are correct in the Fitbit app:

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

Hi @Chocoqueen - try restarting the watch - How do I restart my Fitbit device? 

The algorithm that filters unwanted steps may be corrupted, and if the problem persists try setting the watch to dominant hand in your profile, click on the Versa 2 to change the setting, then sync the watch. This has a slightly more agressive filter for occasional steps detection - hand movement is what is used to detect steps.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there, @Chocoqueen. Welcome to the Community Forums. Thanks for the details provided in your post about the issue with your Versa 2.

As @Guy_ has recommended, please restart your Versa 2.

Always keep in mind that Fitbit devices have a finely-tuned algorithm for step counting. The algorithm is designed to look for intensity and motion patterns that are most indicative of people walking and running. When working at a desk, cooking, or performing other activities with arm movements, a device on your wrist may add some steps. When you’re doing activities that involve arm movement—such as working or cooking—you often walk a few steps in-between stationary periods as well, so the device tries to give you credit for those steps. For most customers, the number of extra steps added by arm-based movement isn’t significant when compared to your overall stats. For more information, see: How does my Fitbit device calculate my daily activity?

Additionally, please confirm the following are correct in the Fitbit app:

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes