Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versa 2 - not tracking distance

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I purchased my Versa 2 to specifically track my cycling.  After noticing the Distance achieved results in 0.0km, I did all of the troubleshooting (incl the factory reset).  I followed up with a chat to a support agent, and they assured my they were "working tirelessly" on a fix.  By the looks of things in the Community discussion, I am not the only one experiencing this.  Before I request a full refund and go with another brand, are others holding out for Fitbit to release a software fix/patch?

Best Answer
0 Votes
11 REPLIES 11

Are you carrying your phone and have Versa 2 attached to phone's GPS?

If not, there is no way for tracker to know cycling distance.  Without GPS, it can estimate walking and running distance by multiplying number of steps times stride length, but that does not work for cycling because it is not based on steps.  When some steps are recorded, they are just from vibrations, and no indication of distance as in walking.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer

I had the same thing happen to me today on a bike ride. Said 0.0 km. I had left my phone at home so next time I'll be sure to take it with me on my ride so I can see my distance. Didn't think I needed the phone since when I walk/jog, it records my distance and pace. But your explanation about needing to be connected to my phone's GPS for cycling makes perfect sense. Glad to know my Versa2 isn't "broken"! Thanks @JohnnyRow

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes.  Have had it with me each time I cycle.  It continuously shows 0.01km (and says "Nice work!" hahaha).  The map shows the route that I took, but it does not record the activity.  Yesterday went for an 18km mountain bike ride and it showed 0.01km again.  Fitbit support doesn't sound confident a firmware update will happen soon - very odd as from the search I did, there are a lot of people with the same issue...and for a long time now).  Guess I'm going to get a refund and go with Garmin.

Best Answer

If mine connects to the GPS, then I get the map and the distance when I bike.  My problem is that my Versa 2 won’t connect to the GPS 90% of the time so I have to change from biking to “work out”.so that I can have some type of input.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hmmm...may try that.  Does it record distance?  That seems to be what mine is missing.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I remember a while back an issue with biking that could be gotten around by tracking it as a run instead of bike.  I forget the details but it might have been this - not getting distance.  Not ideal but maybe worth a try, or "workout" as @Ttraylor  suggested.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

If your GPS is not connected, I don’t think it will show anything on a map or distance.  If I am biking and have to show it as as Workout, then I get no steps or distance just heart rate and minutes of exercise.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Absolutely the same.  It is really annoying.  Other brands can somehow work it out. 

This has been an issue with fitbit since 2017, they must be absolutely shattered after working so tirelessly...

Best Answer
0 Votes

I thought I had it figured out.  If I open my Fitbit app on my phone and swipe down it refreshes the app and then if I go to my watch and tell it I want to Bike it connects to the GPS!!!!  I Thought I had finally figured it out.  Part way through the ride I wanted to take a look at my miles and I looked at my watch and it had paused itself and recorded NOTHING.  I really wish I had known this was an issue before I spent my hard earned money!. I am going to keep working on it as I think refreshing the app Just before you start has possibilities.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have been doing this process and so far so good. I have it so it automatically recognises a pause in cycling.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Going to exchange as well :-). I had my phone and my watch on me while I biked for 70 mins. The activity in the dashboard shows 0.0 KM but show time, heart rate and zone based report. Garmin is way better for a cheaper price too. 

Best Answer
0 Votes