Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versa 3 battery is draining quickly

ANSWERED

Hi Support,  

I have a Versa 3, been a brilliant device over the last 3 years and needed charging once every 5 days, but for last 10 days or so, it now needs recharging everyday (lasts < 24 hours only). 
I have not made any changes to settings. 
Have since read other posts about settings to minimise battery use etc , but what has changed is not clear? Version upgrade? It’s version 36.128.6.17. 

Any advice appreciated but I have already tried suggestions posted in other tickets. 

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

I've been having the exact same issue with my versa 3 since a couple of weeks ago. It's draining 70% battery overnight. I thought that it might have to do with the new app update last month.

My next step will be to factory reset it...

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
31 REPLIES 31

Hi @VirtualVersa - unfortunately a sudden change generally means a watch fault, possibly from getting wet.

It is generally not a settings issue (as you will have noticed if you changed something) but a syncing issue with a new version of the Fitbit App or phone update or a revised clock face can be the cause.

So changing clock face may help or turning off Bluetooth for a few days (except for a manual sync) might help isolate syncing issues.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer

Thanks Guy! Clock face may be the cause as I changed it to include SpO2 using the standard FitBit clock faces ,but no other watch setting changes. 
I’ll revert back to non SpO2 face and see what happens, and adjust sync times.
 Love my Versa3 so will be very disappointed to have to ditch it 😔

Best Answer

Hi there, @VirtualVersa. Welcome to the Fitbit Community Forums. Thanks for bringing this to my attention and for the troubleshooting steps you've tried. I'm sorry to hear that your Versa 3's battery keeps draining. I understand why you're feeling disappointed, we're here to help you! @Guy_ I appreciate your input! 

By any chance, are you using Snore Detection? If so, please note that the Snore Detection feature does impact your device’s battery, so we recommend charging your device to at least 40% before going to bed. For more information, see How can I use my Fitbit device to detect snoring and noise levels while I sleep? 

Additionally, please see Can I extend my Fitbit device's battery life? 

Nevertheless, bear in mind that as all rechargeable batteries age, they deteriorate to some extent and an older device will need to be charged more often than a new one. The best way of minimizing this effect is to avoid deep discharges of the battery. To maximize the overall life of your Fitbit device's battery, ideally keep it between 20-80%.  Many people find that a daily battery boost works best ( e.g. giving it a 15 minutes charge while you are showering in the morning).

Additionally, please find below some tips to best charge Fitbit devices:

• Use only genuine Fitbit charging cables
  • Use only UL-certified wall chargers
  • Avoid USB battery packs
  • Charge at room temperature

For charging purposes, your charging cable or your base station can be plugged into any USB power source, including but not limited to:

• A computer
  • A Wall A/C to USB adapter, commonly found with smartphones
  • A DC to USB adapter (vehicle power port)
Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

That was useless...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sadly, despite following the advice by experts, the battery draining is woeful. I have switched to a very standard non-SpO2 clock, have switched off Bluetooth and manually syncing, minimised screen on time, etc. The device has not been mistreated, eg, water etc. 

After charging to 80%, the charge lasts nearly 8 hours. 

It is a hopeless and very disappointing degradation of the battery for a device that is just now 3 years old. I have enjoyed using it, the app is fantastic. But the device battery life is huge problem for FitBit. 
Is there anything else I can possibly try, change the battery - how??

Otherwise it’s wasteful to have to throw it away and find a more reliable alternative to FitBit - recommendations appreciated from ex-FitBit users 👍

Best Answer
0 Votes

Any comments about possibility of changing battery ?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@VirtualVersa- unfortunately watches are only replaced under warranty. There are several reasons.

if the watch is damaged [corrosion, short circuit or other, the most likely cause] changing the battery won't help.

If the watch is opened it cannot be guaranteed to be waterproof afterwards.

If you can find the parts and can do it yourself it may be a possibility but with no guarantee of success, you may end up replacing most of the components, if you can find them and that can be ,ore expensive than a new watch..

If you ask someone to do it it may work out more expensive than a new watch also, depending on what they charge and the parts cost and how long it takes, again with no guarantee and you may be without a watch for weeks.

Buying a new watch of any make will come with a new warranty.

Note: Batteries normally suffer a gradual degradation over time, if it is sudden [later in life] it is more likely something more serious than the battery itself.  Also their draining isn't linear. Meaning it will drain more quickly from full charge or at low charge but last longer in between. Incidentally they can also suffer from cold.and have a weaker capacity.

Best Answer

Thanks Guy. 
I have nothing to lose but look at battery replacement option at least. The watch may still be bricked. Such a shame and disappointment. 

Do you know on average how long Versa3 tend to last based on general use from comments on the forums? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello,

I've been having the exact same issue with my versa 3 since a couple of weeks ago. It's draining 70% battery overnight. I thought that it might have to do with the new app update last month.

My next step will be to factory reset it...

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have my suspicions that battery performance really plummeted after system update, however can’t prove it.

The version mine is showing is 36.128.6.17. I can’t see the exact date it was updated, can Guy please comment when this version was made available ? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

That's the same version I have too. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @VirtualVersa @lfgalvao - 36.128.6.17 firmware version has been around a long time and is not known to produce battery issues, most likely the problem is elsewhere.

A factory reset is unlikely to fix 70% usage overnight, even snore detection is unlikely to produce such drastic usage, but it's worth a try as a last resort, if you have already restarted the watch and changed clock face.

It can sometimes be due to a new Fitbit App version, try logging off and turning phone Bluetooth off before bed.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have done a full factory reset, desperate hope it may at least improve battery life, but no luck. 
Such a shame and waste of 3 years old device, worth £200 plus subscriptions.  
Lost customer. 

Best Answer

hello 🙂

I updated my Versa 3 to version 36.128.6.17 only two days ago and since then my battery drains extremely fast. I loaded it this morning, Tuesday 16th April 2024, at 8 am to 100% and now at 5 pm it was down to 11 % without me using any special function like tracking sport activities. I did not have this issue before I updated to the latest version on Sunday 14th April 2024. I purchased my Versa 3 on the 16th February 2021, so it is just over 3 years old. I do not have a premium account and, therefore, I am not using the special features related to premium accounts. My clock is an Analog Stats V3 that I have been using almost from the beginning. 

I always track my sleep but draining at this speed, the watch won't even last over night. 

You are saying that this version 36.128.6.17 is not known for causing issues but it definitely did in my case and for what I can see, I am not the only one.

Best Answer

As I have stated above DrHelga, I have exact same experience, it is big coincidence that system upgrade has caused the battery life to plummet, but have no proof other that seeking comments from this support group. 
I am very disappointed that my expensive device has now been virtually bricked. 

is it possible to revert to previous version? 

Best Answer

I can only agree with you. I love my Versa 3. I had an Ionic before which had a lot of problems with switching off after each update. I got it even replaced while still under warranty. The Versa 3 didn't have any issues for me until the last update. I wish I could undo it. 😫

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have had exactly the same problem, I’ve had my Fitbit Versa 3 since September 2020, without any battery problems at all until now. I’m sure it’s the update too! Not happy!  🙁 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Can someone from FitBit provide some comments please?  There are few Versa 3 owners reporting same about battery life plummeting following update. 
Is there a method to revert to previous version? I have done full factory reset but it remained on same latest version that we think is draining battery. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Having the same battery problem right now with my 3.5 year-old Versa 3 (version 36.128.6.17). Never had any problems until two days ago (4/14/2024). Last night I went to bed at 100% and woke up at 60%. Only changed two things: I switched my login from email to a Google acct last week (doubt that played ANY role, but just mentioning it) and normally I charge my Versa 3 as soon as I get below 40%, but because of a family emergency it was down to 14%, two days ago, when I put it on the charger (though in my normal usage experience it shouldn’t have been that low). Then when I finally charged the Versa 3 at 14%, it turned itself off as soon as it hit the charger and I had to hold the button for 10 seconds or so to restart it. Have since tried restarting the V3 a few times since, but charge still seems to be degrading rapidly -- by my estimate it’s dropping 5% charge, per hour. If there was indeed a recent update to the software, someone needs to review that update. 

Best Answer
0 Votes