Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versa Smartwatches - Fitbit OS 4.2 Firmware Update (71.6.19)

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Update 9/3/2020: This update should now be available to all customers. If you have any difficulty updating, make sure you are following the directions in this article, and then provide as many specific details as possible in your post so that we can assist.

We've started rolling out Fitbit OS 4.2 Firmware Update (71.6.19) for the Versa series.

We release firmware updates to all customers in phases. The update will be available to everyone soon, and a banner will appear in the app when you can install the update. If you don’t see the banner yet, check the app again later.

*Firmware releases are not distributed based on region or location and can reach anyone no matter where you reside. We do not recommend performing a factory reset to force the update to your device as your data will be lost and you may not get the update. Please be patient and wait until you see the update banner inside of the Fitbit app to begin the firmware download.

WHAT’S NEW AND FIXED

Release notes can be found here.

HOW DO I UPDATE?

Step by step instructions for updating your Versa device can be found here.

We recommend updating your Versa over a home Wi-Fi network as this can greatly reduce the time it can take to get set up. For more information on connecting your Versa to Wi-Fi, check out this article

If you run into any trouble updating your Versa I recommend reviewing these troubleshooting tips

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer
577 REPLIES 577

Always make sure you are fully charged before performing an update.  Or put your Fitbit in the charger while doing it.  

Best Answer

Don't do the update.  It screws up your previous active minutes (what are zone minutes???)  and messes with your battery.  I'd really appreciate it if they would beta test these updates before they release them.

Best Answer

My Versa 2 is about 6 months old and still shows on the watch as v35.70.8.0.  I certainly hope it corrects the constant GPS disconnects when doing bike rides. I'm about ready to throw this watch in the trash.

Best Answer

thanks for the warning I'll try to fend it off

version 32.70.8.0  how do you jump to version 71.6.19 am I missing a few dozen updates?

Versa Version 1

Best Answer
it was on the charger, brand new for 2 days, didn't never get beyond
50%...UNTIL the update FINALLY took, then post update it will now charge to
100% and display menus and clock on the watch
Best Answer
0 Votes

So, what kind of bugs & improvements were fixed? Would be nice to know. I wonder if it'll fix the battery issue that I developed. I guess I'll have to turn it on & sync it to see if it gets the update. Oh yeah, I got so mad at it, that I got a Garmin.

Best Answer

It's changed 'active minutes' to active zone minutes which would be fine but it doesn't seem to work.  Mine is showing zero active zone minutes even though before the update I was on 167 active minutes today.  

Best Answer

Hi everyone, thanks for your inquiries about what's Active Zone Minutes. Please see below what's new on this new Firmware Update:

What's changed:

• An additional 6 languages are now available on your watch: Brazilian Portuguese, Czech, Indonesian, Polish, Romanian, and Russian.
  • To access the control center on your watch, swipe down from the top of your screen. After your notifications appear, swipe down again to open the control center. For more information, see How do I navigate my Fitbit device's screen?

For more detailed information, see: What's changed in the latest Fitbit OS update? 

Hey @Cybdiver, thanks for stopping by. Please note that 32.70.8.0 is the previous one to 32.71.6.19. Sorry for the misunderstanding, you may think you missed some updates but we didn't add the "32" in the title. The confusion may come from there.

Let me know if there's any questions present.

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer

Given that active zone minutes doesn't seem to work properly does anyone know how to revert to the old active minutes.  Something flashed up on the app about being able to but didn't say how.

Best Answer

Yes, please let us go back to Active minutes.  Want a good laugh, Fitbit support can see my active minutes, I can't.  Too Funny.

Best Answer

Did the update and it is no longer registering zone minutes. When I look in the heart icon I was clearly in fat burn and cardio zone but the score shows I was ‘under‘ all zones for the entire duration of the exercise. Anyone else having issues with this? 

Best Answer
Try turning on your Heart Rate monitor. I have always left mine off and when I turned it on, the Zone minutes began to display.
They might have mentioned that in their update. I guess they assumed everyone used them.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10
Best Answer
0 Votes
My heart rate monitor is already on unfortunately. So under the heart icon I can see heart rate but it’s not being tracked into zone minutely accurately

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

How do you force the update to get downloaded? I'm sitting on the busted 32.70.8.0 which doesnt allow WIFI on the watch or allow it to operate off the charger. So I'm really looking forward to restoring the watch to working order hopefully with the firmware update. I'm not dropping another two-hundy on this brand. Please Please Please let this firmware fix the previous bricked watches.

Best Answer

Everyone seems to think the zone minutes is broken but I am pretty sure you just can't be lazy anymore which most people with a fitbit are sadly.

On the previous activity minutes or whatever it was called i would get like 100-200 plus active minutes a day because i only had to get my heart rate up to like 89 which is too low and stupid. Now with the active zone minutes I actually have to get my heart rate up to 107 to get credit. In my opinion this is much better as now I will get closer to the 30 mins a day and i actually HAVE to exercise to get it.

Its also better in the fact that you will get credit for less then 10 mins of continuous activity. The old way you had to spend at least 10 consecutive mins before you got the credit. Now you can jog up and down the stairs a few times and get a minute worth of credit if you elevate your heart enough and not have to kill yourself for 10 mins.

Once people learn how to use it properly, they won't complain when they are getting more fit. Just my 2 cents.

Best Answer

Sorry @Z06tim but it really is wrong.  I posted a link to a separate thread where I've copied a screenshot that shows this but it's been removed by a moderator.  If you search you'll probably find it but if I put the link in here the post will get deleted again.  It shows time spent in the upper 2 HR zones that has not been counted.  

Moderator Edit: Formatting

Best Answer

Your zones are calculated differently now as well if you weren't aware. This is another BETTER way of calculating to YOUR personal heart rate zones.

The calculation is (Percentage of maximum heart rate × heart rate reserve) + resting heart rate 

This now makes more fit individuals work harder for their minutes and vice versa.

You can go here to read about the calculations https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1565.htm

Click on "what are heart rate zones" and then select the versa

with this new calculation, your zones will be personalized to you. Sorry if yours isn't working properly if that is the case.

Best Answer

@Z06tim This is exactly how the new AZM work. I agree that this implementation is a much more accurate reflection. Previously most people would have been in the "fat burning" zone with zero to little effort, now I actually have to break a sweat. I can understand that people may feel short changed, but that's only because the previous implementation was so generous in it's handing out of active minutes. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer

@N8teGee couldn't agree more. I Iove the new implementation and I think others would too if fitbit would explain its benefits better

Best Answer

@Z06tim the release notes have been updated which include information on Active Zone Minutes. 

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer