Ability to switch from built GPS to connected GPS on Charge 4

Charge 4 comes with an inbuilt GPS and I see my Charge 4 battery drains out quickly. Sometimes, I carry my phone during my workout and I would like to connect to my phone GPS in order to save battery.

Please add the option of selecting inbuilt GPS and connected GPS.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

88 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Venugopal. Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about being able to switch from built GPS to connected GPS on your Charge 4 with us. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

tms87
First Steps

I love my new Charge 4, but I hate that the built in GPS eats up so much battery. It would be nice to go more than two days without having to charge (mine will use between 40-50% on a walk a little over an hour). Older models of the Charge line have the option to use your phone's GPS to map your exercise, so why not have that as an option for the Charge 4? That way, if you're out with your phone, you can save on your watch's battery by using the phone GPS, but you still have the option to use the built in GPS if you want to go out without a phone.

LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @tms87. Thanks for sharing this suggestion about being having the option to choose between connected GPS and built GPS with us. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to keep the forums organized and make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Click on the thumbs-up to show your support and keep adding your suggestions!

Asnoeren
Hill Runner

This feature is called dynamic gps and fitbit already indicated it's a feature they will include. When is the big question..

Source: https://www.androidauthority.com/fitbit-charge-4-review-1102038/

SrRojo
Runner

This is one of the biggest features I need in order to not return my Fitbit. Please make this happen. This thing is so glitchy and unready for market, but continued improvement will help.

LaithWehbi
Jogger

I agree this is a deal-breaker and a downgrade from its previous successor the Charge 3. Since the charge's 4 battery using the built-in GPS only lasts 5 hours, it should be complemented with the option to switch to the phone's GPS to preserve its battery (Dynamic GPS). It's gobsmacking to me that with Fitbit charging such a premium price point, they cannot think of something so simple and make a software adjustment to add this feature for the convenience of the customer. The only conclusion I can reach is that Fitbit's software team is not as bothered as other competitors. Unfortunately, I've also dealt with Fitbit customer service and they are also unbothered and incapable of listening to their customers.  Any requests or complaints from customers are either pushed under the rug or take several months to happen. Their reputation is not very well regarded in the community and they should be made aware of that. Please for once Fitbit team, focus on being a customer-centric company and respond effectively and rapidly to customer requests rather than saying "We will take that into consideration and forward it to the team" for such a simple yet essential feature to have for any Charge 4 owner. It is the least you could do for charging customers an extra £60 for an inefficient built-in GPS and other falsely advertised features.  

Moderator edit: format

maxmin10
Recovery Runner

Hi, Some people seem to not like how much battery the GPS in the Charge 4 uses. Some state they wish the GPS tracking was like the Charge 3 where the phone GPS is used.

I offer a suggestion to satisfy users.  

Offer the following choice for GPS when in the setting for an exercise.  "Internal", "Phone" or "Off"  In the "Phone" selection would work the way the Charge 3 and other FB devices work. It would save battery for people that have their phones with them.

For example, When I run I don't like to carry my phone and would use internal GPS.  However, when I bike I always have my phone since I am far away and may need to call someone if I get a flat or other issue.  I would choose GPS -> Phone for the biking exercise.

Just a suggestion.

maxmin10
Recovery Runner

Hi I posted this here but then saw this thread.  https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Charge-4-Exercise-GPS-Selection-Internal-Phone-o...

Here is what I said:

Hi, Some people seem to not like how much battery the GPS in the Charge 4 uses. Some state they wish the GPS tracking was like the Charge 3 where the phone GPS is used.

I offer a suggestion to satisfy users.  

Offer the following choice for GPS when in the setting for an exercise.  "Internal", "Phone" or "Off"  In the "Phone" selection would work the way the Charge 3 and other FB devices work. It would save battery for people that have their phones with them.

For example, When I run I don't like to carry my phone and would use internal GPS.  However, when I bike I always have my phone since I am far away and may need to call someone if I get a flat or other issue.  I would choose GPS -> Phone for the biking exercise.

Just a suggestion.

Moderator you can delete my other Feature Suggestion if you wish.

Asnoeren
Hill Runner

@LizzyFitbit please.merge with the existing idea

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @maxmin10, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to switch from built GPS to connected GPS on Charge 4. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

Brianp25
Jogger

I would deff like to see this option added to the charge 4.

Brianp25
Jogger

i would suggest that if your charge 4 is connected to your phone it auto uses the  phones gps if it isnt or cant connect it uses it's built in gos, no extra steps. It auto recognizes and uses tge appropiate gps.   

MEC98
Jogger

I really wish there was a way to disable GPS or move it to my phone, I commonly go on ~3 hour bike rides and if I don't charge my watch before I go the battery is drained before the end of the workout and turns itself off. I do not get anywhere near the 5hrs of GPS time advertised. I would much rather not have GPS all together then what is included. 

Younes007
Recovery Runner

yes this should have been an option from day one,

better for battery, most of the times you have your phone with you anyways, and faster gps connection

Croywil
Stepping Up

I bought a Charge 4 as it has built in GPS (if I ever want to run without my phone) but I thought I'd have the option to use my phone's GPS if I turn the Charge 4 GPS option to OFF. It seems I have to then go into the Fitbit app and tell it I'm about to go for a walk, even though I've just told my Charge 4 I'm going to do that. 

Would be much easier if the Charge 4 could just tell the app that we are going for a walk and to start using the phone's GPS? 

Using the Charge 4 GPS hammers the battery so I'd rather not use it if I have my phone with me.

Will there be a solution please?

Thank you

Croywil
Stepping Up

Well put - I'm this close to returning this Charge 4 for a Charge 3 - or maybe a Garmin!

millibaars
Jogger

Really, really would like the option of using my phone's GPS, like everyone else on this thread.  It's not a small, nitpicky issue.  For example, a hike of several hours isn't feasible to track with the Charge 4.  I guess I should've bought the Charge 3 instead and am considering returning the 4 to do just that.

Asnoeren
Hill Runner

We need to make sure that everyone that is interested in this feature gets a chance to get it and to get their 'vote' for it. Make sure you share the link to your friends and communities that might be interested in this feature. A couple of thousand are required to show the impact of charge 4 it's current limitations on tracked gps exercises in terms of battery life.

So..get the votes in 🙂

The url for your convenience:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Ability-to-switch-from-built-GPS-to-connected-GP...

MattL415
Jogger

Dynamic GPS with a manual option to choose between phone and Fitbit is an essential feature. Connecting to GPS pre-activity regularly takes ~5 minutes and lost connections during a workout are very normal. Mine will likely be returned for this reason. 

MattL415
Jogger

The best support could offer me today was the following:

”I’m pretty sure we have a solution coming up for GPS issues, but I have no time frame on that.”

Sadly I’ll be returning mine as I only have a week to do it and there’s no certainty this will ever be addressed. 

DougWC
Recovery Runner

Totally agree with the comments suggesting dynamic GPS.  Battery drains within 5 hours using internal GPS during hikes making it useless.  Knowingly marketing a product with such a limitation is a rip off to the consumer.  I have had the 4 for about two weeks.  I will be returning the 4 within a short period of time if dynamic GPS is not added.  I am becoming very frustrated with FitBit products.  I have been a user for about 6 years and have several issues before with previous models.  May be time to move on anyway.

Maartenvc
Tempo Runner

This would be an good update. The battery drains when using gps. Can walk 2x 1,5 hour and it is almost dead

nleung
Jogger

This is a joke? So the Charge 4 can only use it's internal GPS? And it only works from the App? I thought there was something wrong with my Fitbit. I have owned a Charge 2 and just upgraded from a Charge 3 and have never ever had to go into the App to start a workout. Why was this product even released if it only has a default battery life of less than 5 hours. 

If I had known that I could only use the internal GPS I wouldn't have bought it.

Croywil
Stepping Up

I've just been for a two and a half hour walk and ended with 5% batter left on my Fitbit Charge 4. No sign of a fix to this "feature upgrade"

SrRojo
Runner

@nleung You don't have to use the app when you're using the built in GPS. I'm not sure what your Usage is that necessitates it. The watch works fine without using the app. The biggest issue of the built in GPS is the battery drain.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.